Old 05-03-2004, 06:21 AM
AZKalEl

Default Spring is coming...And of course not in a good way...

Your PVC idea will work, that's what I did. I ran my electrical cords
through it and buried it about 8 inches underground. Then I used some
elbows so where it comes out of the ground it is in the shape of an
upside down "J". That way no water can get into it. Of course I am
in Arizona so there is more water in my pond then the entire state
anyway. =)
Old 05-03-2004, 11:28 PM
marmarle

Must be a VERY big pond. What end of the state? We are thinking of adding a
yard pond. We have two small (150gal) ones, on enclosed porch, but wonder
if water would evaporate too fast if we left for more than 3 weeks in the
summer. Haven't thought out the adding water thing, since cold tap water
here is warm in summer. Or would that be a good thing? The "J" pipe setup
sounds good. How deep did you dig for the pond? J&KinAZ

Old 06-03-2004, 05:50 AM
AZKalEl

"marmarle" wrote in message ...
Must be a VERY big pond. What end of the state? We are thinking of adding a
yard pond. We have two small (150gal) ones, on enclosed porch, but wonder
if water would evaporate too fast if we left for more than 3 weeks in the
summer. Haven't thought out the adding water thing, since cold tap water
here is warm in summer. Or would that be a good thing? The "J" pipe setup
sounds good. How deep did you dig for the pond? J&KinAZ

Well maybe it isn't THAT big. =)

It's about 8 x 10, averages about 2-2 1/2 feet deep, and has some
plant shelves. I had a hard time the first year or two, as it's a new
house, with no trees in the backyard, and full Arizona sun. Now the
Umbrella Palms and cattails have grown pretty thick on the East and
West sides of the pond, and the north side backs up against our block
wall fence. I have some desert spoon growing up there, which provide
additional shade especially when they send up their long flower
spikes. I keep a small waterfall going, and as of last year (the
pond's 3rd) the plants are well established and the entire top was
covered with lily pads. That was hard at first as the sun kept baking
them. Until the plants got going we fought green water a bit because
of the sun's intensity. Last year it was crystal, and I attribute it
to the massive plant growth and the small sterilizer I added. As a
matter of fact, my first lily pad of the year just popped up last
Friday, so I think we'll have a bumper crop again!
Water from the tap in the summer is kind of warm, but once the hose
runs a minute it's actually cool. Pond temp will get above 80 though,
but the fish don't seem to care. The koi are growing like weeds, as
is the "mystery" comet that showed up in the first year. I think a
neighbor popped him over the fence.
Water will need to be filled though, I can't let it go longer then
about 5 days in summer without a top off. In winter I hardly mess
with it.
Oh yeah in east Mesa, to answer your question. Where are you?

Old 09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
marmarle

We are down in Tucson. 8 X 10 is good size in AZ ! We tell people their
ponds would be considered lakes if they were out here. We found rock
everywhere we tried to dig, so we are thinking of putting pond above ground,
but having a block wall out 2 feet and fill dirt in between, to keep some of
the heat from over cooking it in summer. It would help keep it stable in the
winter. Fantails didn't do well even on the porch due to the 70 days and 40
nights in winter. Most people don't think there is a change of 30 degrees
everyday. That is part of the AZ problem, as you know. I gave up and have
big tanks in the house for the fantails, and only goldfish on the porch.
J&KinAZ

Old 12-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Lee B.

Ahhh, the caliche (kaliche?) . . . I remember it well! Something left over
from the area's Salton Sea days. Dynamite works well G

A block wall with dirt between it and the pond walls may work nicely.
Remember how well adobe works? Also, erect something for shade, too - even
if it's just one of those "sails" - to keep the sun from shining on it
directly.

Lee