Old 10-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Susan H. Simko

Default sign of spring

Pond finally made it up to 65 degrees last week and boy were those
little guys hungry! BV, I'm with you, from the looks of the number of
Rosie Reds that survived the winter, I can't imagine what the end of the
summer will look like. Last night, I was sitting by the pond and
entertaining thoughts of catching them and selling them to the local
fishing supply/convenience store.

Aside for that, I've spotted three frogs so far and they were singing
quite merrily last night. The water lilies are throwing off leaves, the
irises are sprouting, and everything else is greening up and growing up.
Water is pretty clear so the barley straw I put in two weeks ago
appears to be doing its thing.

Of course, we had 80 degree days last wek and today we may be getting
some snow flurries. I suspect though the cold snap won't really last
long enough to make a significant impact on water temps. My biggest
problem is exercising restraint. I want to have my hands in everything
outdoors, putting in herbs, vegetables, playing with the pond etc.! *smile*

Susan
Durham, NC
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Tom La Bron

Susan,

Those rosie reds may be cute and quick, but remember with their prolific
reproduction rate they are adding volume to your biomass of weight of fish
per gallon of water. As the water warms an "Algae Bloom" may be on the
horizon with its subsequent problems.

Tom L.L.

Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Tom La Bron

[...]

Allotment agreement with Council - sign or not sign Rajinder Nijjhar United Kingdom 7 20-03-2010 10:05 AM
First real sign of spring Cheryl Isaak Gardening 4 23-03-2006 11:53 AM
sign of spring [email protected] Ponds 0 29-02-2004 10:57 PM
sign of spring [email protected] Ponds 0 29-02-2004 10:57 PM
No Sign of Spring here in Bronx, Ny Zone 6 MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 09-02-2003 06:55 PM