Old 03-03-2004, 02:10 PM
BenignVanilla

Default sign of spring

wrote in message
ganews.com...
In , on 03/02/04
at 09:22 AM, "BenignVanilla" said:

Alan, we had several hundres (maybe thousand?) eggs in our pond last
year, and some taddies. Never saw then again after a few weeks. Depending
on what happens, I may have some for you and I am in Ellicott City.

Thanks. I'd appeciate it. Tads, even adult toads (my garden gets full of
slugs.)

Nice 72 degrees today, wasn't it?

Monday, I started scooping leaves out of the old leaf pit...I mean pond, and
I scopped out a frog. He was quite groggy and not at all happy with me for
scooping him up. LOL. I put him back and went back into the house. These
warm days are going to drive me crazy. I want to get out there and work on
the pond, but I know the weather can't be trusted yet. As soon as the VF
melts though, I may clean that out.

BV.
Off to check Saturday's weather.

Old 03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Nedra

BV, I know what you mean about being so impatient to get
going on the veggie filter. My VF is loaded with
frogs - leaves - and dead plant material. I don't want to
clean it out for fear some of the frogs will be uprooted.
So, I'm playing the waiting game, too.

The filter and waterfall are up and running on the pond - and the fish are
cruising around the perimeter - nibbling on the algae.
Looks so neat.

Nedra

Old 03-03-2004, 05:41 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
BV, I know what you mean about being so impatient to get
going on the veggie filter. My VF is loaded with
frogs - leaves - and dead plant material. I don't want to
clean it out for fear some of the frogs will be uprooted.
So, I'm playing the waiting game, too.

The filter and waterfall are up and running on the pond - and the fish are
cruising around the perimeter - nibbling on the algae.
Looks so neat.

snip

I am hoping this weekend warms up a bit, so I can get out there and do a few
things. If the VF is thawed, I may just get it ready to start up. Last year
my stream was leaking, so I think while stuff is dry I will add a new layer
of liner over the seam, and then clean the VF and start up the pump. It will
be interesting to see how much of the leaf litter the bottom drain will pull
through to the VF. My first test.

BV.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:17 AM
~ Windsong ~

Monday, I started scooping leaves out of the old leaf pit...I mean pond,
and
I scopped out a frog. He was quite groggy and not at all happy with me for
scooping him up. LOL. I put him back and went back into the house. These
warm days are going to drive me crazy. I want to get out there and work on
the pond, but I know the weather can't be trusted yet. As soon as the VF
melts though, I may clean that out.

==========================
I moved all the critters I came across to a kiddy pool behind the house. I
took advantage of the beautiful weather to clean out the smaller pools and
transplant the lilies and a few other things. My VF was cleaned out last
fall and plastic window screen installed. The smaller pump ran all winter
on the big pond, running water through the screen. That's the next
project - cleaning out the VF and adding plants for the summer.

--
Carol...
My website:

Old 05-03-2004, 04:28 AM

In , on 03/02/04
at 09:45 PM, "~ Windsong ~" said:

I'd appeciate it. Tads, even adult toads (my garden gets full of
slugs.)
Nice 72 degrees today, wasn't it?

We have loads of toads, assorted frogs, snakes, newts, lizards and
salamanders and STILL have zillions of slugs and snails. --

I'd like to have all those critters around.

Alan

**** Please use address alanh[at]min.net to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old 05-03-2004, 04:30 AM

In , on 03/02/04
at 09:45 PM, "~ Windsong ~" said:

I'd appeciate it. Tads, even adult toads (my garden gets full of
slugs.)
Nice 72 degrees today, wasn't it?

We have loads of toads, assorted frogs, snakes, newts, lizards and
salamanders and STILL have zillions of slugs and snails. --

I'd like to have all those critters around.

Alan

**** Please use address alanh[at]min.net to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Allotment agreement with Council - sign or not sign Rajinder Nijjhar United Kingdom 7 20-03-2010 10:05 AM
First real sign of spring Cheryl Isaak Gardening 4 23-03-2006 11:53 AM
sign of spring [email protected] Ponds 0 29-02-2004 10:57 PM
sign of spring [email protected] Ponds 0 29-02-2004 10:57 PM
No Sign of Spring here in Bronx, Ny Zone 6 MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 09-02-2003 06:55 PM