Old 12-03-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Galvanized & Fish

I'm adding an additional filter to my pond. I have a 3 foot gap between it
and the pond and am contemplating various ways of spanning the distance. A
rubber lined rock course might be an option. I really don't like the thought
of PVC pipe. I was thinking about making a trough using corrugated
galvanized metal - that stuff that's so popular on the roofs of barns and
tool sheds. Does anyone know if GALVANIZED metal is fish safe?

T. Wardell
Dallas, TX

Old 12-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Ka30P

T.Wardell wrote Does anyone know if GALVANIZED metal is fish safe?

I think so. I've kept fish in container ponds made out of galvanized metal
tubs.

kathy :-)

Old 12-03-2004, 04:41 PM
John Hines

T wrote:

I'm adding an additional filter to my pond. I have a 3 foot gap between it
and the pond and am contemplating various ways of spanning the distance. A
rubber lined rock course might be an option. I really don't like the thought
of PVC pipe. I was thinking about making a trough using corrugated
galvanized metal - that stuff that's so popular on the roofs of barns and
tool sheds. Does anyone know if GALVANIZED metal is fish safe?

It isn't. It is coated in zinc, which is toxic.

Try schedule 80 (dark gray) PVC instead of 40 (white) or DWC which is
green. Cut a real large diameter in half.

Otherwise, go see if you can find some clay tiles, like they use for
roofs, but you invert them so water runs in a stream.

Old 13-03-2004, 03:36 AM
Tom La Bron

John,

It is true that zinc can be toxic, but this usually only occurs if you have
very acid water. Many people in Oklahoma have Goldfish in their galvanized
horse troughs that they breed and multiple year after year to the point
where they are used for bait or thrown out. If your water has a neutral or
high pH there is never a problem with it hurting fish.

Now if you were trying to raise Discus in galvanized tanks you probably
would have a problem.

Tom L.L.
----------------------------------------"John Hines"

Old 13-03-2004, 03:47 AM

On 3/12/04 7:56 AM, in article , "T"
wrote:

I'm adding an additional filter to my pond. I have a 3 foot gap between it
and the pond and am contemplating various ways of spanning the distance. A
rubber lined rock course might be an option. I really don't like the thought
of PVC pipe. I was thinking about making a trough using corrugated
galvanized metal - that stuff that's so popular on the roofs of barns and
tool sheds. Does anyone know if GALVANIZED metal is fish safe?

T. Wardell
Dallas, TX

Aluminum?
I may have found another solution - aluminum flashing. Home Depot sells it
in the roofing department. It's a 10" wide by 10' roll of aluminum ($5.65).
Roofers use it to prevent rain water run-off over exterior doorways. -- I'm
pretty sure aluminum isn't toxic. - T. Wardell

Old 15-03-2004, 11:44 PM

as long as teh water isnt acid. Ingrid

T wrote:
Aluminum?
I may have found another solution - aluminum flashing. Home Depot sells it
in the roofing department. It's a 10" wide by 10' roll of aluminum ($5.65).
Roofers use it to prevent rain water run-off over exterior doorways. -- I'm
pretty sure aluminum isn't toxic. - T. Wardell

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.