Old 14-03-2004, 03:53 PM
bjt

Default dealing with soft (caving in) edges of a pond

My pond is about 8' by 20' and up to 5' deep, but it suffers from soft
edges.
The soil is very loose and soft and so my edges keep crumbling. This makes
putting edging stone around the pond a real challenge.

Any suggestions?

I've thought about putting a ring of concrete around the edge of the pond
and then putting the slate edging stones on top of the concrete. I'm
thinking I'd need to put a layer 2-3 inches thick and have it extend about
two feet from the edge of the pond out into the yard so as to create a
stable edge.

Suggestions welcome. I have a nice big pond with a wonderful ecosystem _in_
it...it just doesn't look all the great in the yard. Thanks.

Brian Tarbox
in new england

Old 14-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Nedra

Hi Brian,

My pond had soft edges that collapsed. I hired a couple of guys to
bolster up the edges. They used concrete
blocks that were filled with dirt and then every other block
or so had rebar inserted in. It seems to have worked.
Your idea of the concrete collar sounds good too.... in
fact I think its what a lot of people use.

Good Luck.... and welcome to the group. You are new to
us aren't you?

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

Old 15-03-2004, 12:09 PM
bjt

I'm not exactly new to the group...I just mostly lurk.
I've been ponding for about 4 years now. First with a 5' x 5' pond, then
expanded it to 8 x 12 and last summer expanded it some more to an irregular
shape about 8 x 15.

I enjoy ponding but the level of maintainance has been high enough to take
away a fair bit of the enjoyment. I'm willing to trade off a high short
term effort to gain some ease in ongoing effort.

Brian

hlink.net...

Old 15-03-2004, 11:45 PM

how I solved the problem. http://puregold.aquaria.net/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm
Ingrid

"bjt" wrote:

My pond is about 8' by 20' and up to 5' deep, but it suffers from soft
edges.
The soil is very loose and soft and so my edges keep crumbling. This makes
putting edging stone around the pond a real challenge.

Any suggestions?

I've thought about putting a ring of concrete around the edge of the pond
and then putting the slate edging stones on top of the concrete. I'm
thinking I'd need to put a layer 2-3 inches thick and have it extend about
two feet from the edge of the pond out into the yard so as to create a
stable edge.

Suggestions welcome. I have a nice big pond with a wonderful ecosystem _in_
it...it just doesn't look all the great in the yard. Thanks.

Brian Tarbox
in new england

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 27-03-2004, 04:10 AM
A.N.Other

My pond is about 8' by 20' and up to 5' deep, but it suffers from soft
edges.
The soil is very loose and soft and so my edges keep crumbling. This

makes
putting edging stone around the pond a real challenge.

Any suggestions?

I've thought about putting a ring of concrete around the edge of the pond
and then putting the slate edging stones on top of the concrete. I'm
thinking I'd need to put a layer 2-3 inches thick and have it extend about
two feet from the edge of the pond out into the yard so as to create a
stable edge.

Suggestions welcome. I have a nice big pond with a wonderful ecosystem
_in_ it...it just doesn't look all the great in the yard. Thanks.

Had the same problem the area under the waterfalls kept on collapsing due to
the wieght of the rock.
I used 12x24 paving stones as footings and then used cement blocks to build
the back wall of my pond. the 12x24 spread the load, I then used 8" block
for the first two courses, everything above this was 6" blocks. Backfilled
with cruched rock/sand mix. the wall was then covered in a double layer of
geotex (sp) fabric. then the liner, over which another layer of geotex under
the waterfall and rock garden rocks.

I am sorry I do not have any photos of the work, did not think it worth
while taking any.

ANO

Old 27-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Drew Cutter

Are you edge's straight or angle ? supposedly angle edges are suppose to
prevent caving in.

/--------
/-------/
_________/

Old 27-03-2004, 02:32 PM
A.N.Other

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
Are you edge's straight or angle ? supposedly angle edges are suppose to
prevent caving in.

/--------
/-------/
_________/

It had to be vertical, when I dug the original pond I chose a bad spot,
because buried behind the pond and below the trees is rock. go to
http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56 its the back wall of the pond. what
jappened in my case was that as the soil slumped at the top, it slid down
the rock and pushed the liner into the pond at the bottom.
ANO

Old 28-03-2004, 03:35 AM
RichToyBox

Some in the sandy soils use a concrete collar, 6 or 8 inches thick and maybe
a foot wide around the top edge of the pond to keep from having the soil so
easily displaced. But based on the fact that you have caving, I think the
easiest and best way would be to pull the liner back and build a concrete
block wall. It can be dry stacked, since it will not have to provide a
large amount of pressure, having water on one side and soil on the other.
You can start the dry stacking at one end of the cave in area and work
around the pond, and take the soil removed to start the next area of wall,
and throw it behind the wall to support the wall. For additional strength,
if desired, mix some concrete or mortar and put it down through the hollow
openings in the block and while the concrete or mortar is still in a fluid
state, push a rebar through. This will lock all of the blocks together.
--
RichToyBox

"A.N.Other" wrote in message
"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
Are you edge's straight or angle ? supposedly angle edges are suppose to
prevent caving in.

/--------
/-------/
_________/

It had to be vertical, when I dug the original pond I chose a bad spot,
because buried behind the pond and below the trees is rock. go to
http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56 its the back wall of the pond. what
jappened in my case was that as the soil slumped at the top, it slid down
the rock and pushed the liner into the pond at the bottom.
ANO

dealing with soft (caving in) edges of a pond bjt Ponds 0 14-03-2004 03:52 PM
New (soft of) pond pics Axolotl Ponds 17 21-08-2003 02:32 AM
Finished the edges of my pond Michael Shaffer Ponds 22 23-04-2003 12:20 AM
Finished the edges of my pond--------Sorry Guys! Gareee Ponds 4 22-04-2003 02:56 AM
Black edges appearing on fins Robert Liles Ponds 6 19-04-2003 10:32 AM