Old 17-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Axolotl

Default New (soft of) pond pics

I have posted some pictures of my pond on my personal web site at
http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56
I would appreciate comments on improvements, things I've done wrong, etc.
TIA
ANO

Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Looks nicw!

Enjoy.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
. 130...

Old 17-08-2003, 11:04 PM
jammer

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:07:42 GMT, Axolotl
wrote:

I have posted some pictures of my pond on my personal web site at
http://www3.sympatico.ca/b1wmah56
I would appreciate comments on improvements, things I've done wrong, etc.
TIA
ANO

I just really like it. lalways like places in the shade where
critters/small reptiles can hide. I think you did a good job.

Old 18-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Paul in Redland

Your pond looks really nice, probably the only thing you did wrong was not
building it sooner! ;-)

Paul

. 130...

Old 18-08-2003, 02:50 AM
O3raledale

Looks great!
-Pat

Old 18-08-2003, 02:57 AM
O3raledale

Looks great!
-Pat
Old 18-08-2003, 04:42 PM
D Kat

Very nice. I especially like the falls.

My favorite plants for the shade are hostas, astilbe and ferns. They all
come in a wide variety of size which would give you depth and height to the
area without overwhelming it and covering the falls as might happen with
azaleas or other shrubs. The astilbe come in 4 basic colors (lavender,
pink, red and white). The hostas have a wide variety of shapes and colors
(green, blue, cream and white, yellow, etc.). Some Hostas have very
beautiful flowers as well. Even though variegated vinca is really pretty
and I would normally recommend it as a ground cover for the shade you might
want to stay away from anything that has vining characteristics as it might
again take over the area and detract from the falls. I like shade gardening
a lot. There are many places on the net where you can get ideas. As I said
those are my favorites but there are a great many more plants out there.

The only concern I have about the pond design is that the flowers from the
cherry are overwhelming in the spring. I would recommend getting a fine
netting to put over the pond during this time of year. That should make it
possible to keep cleanup manageable and you really only have to worry about
it for about 2 weeks.

Again, very nice. Thanks for sharing. DKat

. 130...

Old 19-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Anne Lurie

Looks nice! What is an Inuitsuk, anyway? A sort of rock cairn denoting the
purpose or spirit of a particular place?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

. 130...

Old 19-08-2003, 03:32 AM
zookeeper

Anne Lurie wrote:
Looks nice! What is an Inuitsuk, anyway? A sort of rock cairn denoting the
purpose or spirit of a particular place?

I know, I know!!! waving hand rapidly in the air -- VBG
.... and the only reason I know is I wanted to ask this question, but at
12:30 am last night I decided to Google it instead. I first ran into a
brick wall using the name Inuitsuk, but did a search for Inuit and stone
pile, and found the name Inuksuk. Here is a simplistic definition from a
"Creative Kids" website: "An inuksuk is a pile of stones arranged in
the likeness of a human being. The Inuit People of the Artic used them
for marking trails, indicating caches of food, nearby people, or helping
in hunting large herds of caribou.

"Every inuksuk is as unique as a finger print because it is built from
the stones at hand. Inuksuk can be small or large; a single rock put in
place; several rocks balanced on top of each other; boulders placed in a
pile; or flat stones stacked."

And this definition is from an Artic Inuit art web site:
"Inuksuit are among the most important objects created by the Inuit who
were the first people to inhabit portions of Alaska, Arctic Canada, and
Greenland. The term Inuksuk (the singular of Inuksuit) means 'to act in
the capacity of a human.' It is an extension of Inuk, meaning 'a human
being.

"These stone figures were placed on the temporal and spiritual landscapes."

Quite primitive and beautiful! Sounds like a great addition to my future
rock garden!
--
Zk (sig compliments of BV)
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 19-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Nedra

Nice going, Zzzzk!

I liked reading about it.... good for the brain to streeeetch it
from time to time.

Nedra

Old 19-08-2003, 08:02 AM
zookeeper

Nedra wrote:
Nice going, Zzzzk!

I liked reading about it.... good for the brain to streeeetch it
from time to time.

Why, thank you. Yes, that's why I like the Internet -- quicker than
going to the library, don't get messy black inked fingers like the
newspaper, and don't have to sit in crowded classrooms, except when I
choose to do so. Gotta keep them brain cells expanding ....

Old 19-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Axolotl

This is my second pond; the first one was built in 1994 in approximately
the same location but was much smaller, about twelve feet by four feet
and twenty-two inches deep. It had no filtration but supported twenty-
four or more goldfish and several large lilies. The left hand end, about
two and half feet, was a bog garden which I made by "walling" off a
section and filling it with peat moss into which various bog plants were
placed.

My first pond cost me very little. I had thought about building a pond
for a while, but he cost of materials put me off. Then Home Depot (it was
Atikenheads here in Mississauga) opened a big-box store. They made two
mistakes in their first flyer, they advertised "pond liner" 25 ft by 300
ft for $87 and they did not put the usual disclaimer of "Errors and
Omissions Excepted". When I went to the store I was expecting to find
some thin heavy-duty poly-film, which I was going to use in double or
triple layer, what I found was .7mm ABSAT. I have never seen this stuff
anywhere since. It was very heavy and rather difficult to work with.
Furthermore, it is impossible to repair, nothing sticks to it and I have
not found a way of welding it together except heat.
When I went to buy the stuff it showed up with two prices, $87 the roll
or $8.70 a linear foot, I was referred to the manager, who went
ballistic, not at me but at some poor devil in the office. He then asked
me how much did I really need and I told him about fifteen feet (no
ambition back then) and he said "Ok, I'll give you for $5", I though $5 a
foot was pretty good, only he meant $5 for the lot. Pond one was a go!!

The original fish were some "large" feeders. Most of which died within a
few days, I do not think it was anything to do with the pond more the
quality of the fish. The survivors got together and started breeding next
thing we knew was that we had about forty-five goldfish. Over the next
couple of years, the numbers settled down to around twenty-four fish.
There must have been lots of food because they grew to between four and
eight inches, most with beautiful flowing tails. Then last fall I had a
visitor, a great blue heron, before I could get the pond netted I was
down to five or six fish. All the big ones were gone. Next we had a very
cold winter, the pump shutdown, the pond froze right through. Not only
that but once it had thawed out in the spring I seemed to have a huge
leak. Time to rebuild, so we have pond Mark II.