Old 16-03-2004, 11:47 PM
BenignVanilla

Default The Best Time to Drain

In the "you don't have a diffuser on your bottom drain, you moron?" thread I
admited to committing this horrible crime. So I have always been planning on
going for a swim after I build the diffuser so I can install it. I got to
thinking it may be easier to drain a few feet of water out of the pond
first. The question is then, when would this be safest to do? Should I do it
now while things are cold or should I wait for the pond to get rolling and
do it in the spring?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 17-03-2004, 04:09 AM
RichToyBox

BV,

I would do it when the pond temperature is very close to the cold water tap
temperature. This will keep the fish from having a temperature change due
to the water change. The two temperatures should be coming close very soon.
Other than that, the fish are least likely to be badly spooked while they
are more dormant than when they are very active, so I would say the cooler
the pond the better.
--
RichToyBox

Old 18-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Hal

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:31:57 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

I would do it when the pond temperature is very close to the cold water tap
temperature. This will keep the fish from having a temperature change due
to the water change. The two temperatures should be coming close very soon.
Other than that, the fish are least likely to be badly spooked while they
are more dormant than when they are very active, so I would say the cooler
the pond the better.

I'd wait for warmer weather. My fish are all over me when I get in
the water with them. They try to eat every hair on my legs and I can
refill the pond over a period of days. They are shocked/frightened
by my dipnet scooping leaves and don't come to me for a short time
after I do that.

Regards,

Hal

Old 18-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Lee B.

Bad BV, Baaad! You're just looking for an excuse to play with the fish.
RTB is correct - when your source water and the pond water are close to the
same, do it then. No shock (hmmm - did I tell you that my source water is
currently warmer than the pond? 72 versus 69 G). However, up there where
you live you'd need a wetsuit to get in the pond. (Or perhaps you look good
in "all over" blue with your teeth chattering so hard you can't hear
yourself think????) You can play with the fish as Hal suggests later on in
the year when you BOTH can appreciate it!

Lee

Old 19-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Hank

BV, I think the fish can handle the temperature shock better then your
unmentionables. Wait for warmer water.

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 20-03-2004, 06:28 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I guess that means, drain it below those parts. ;o)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:58:37 -0500, "Hank" wrote:

BV, I think the fish can handle the temperature shock better then your
unmentionables. Wait for warmer water.

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)