Old 24-03-2004, 05:07 AM
Gail Futoran

Default SNAILS WANTED

"jammer" wrote in message
I am in zone 7 (Fort Worth) and I had some little black

snails that
didn't make it through the winter. Does anyone have some

they could
send me that wont eat plants but will eat algae? I could

pay postage.

Jammer, are you referring to the Japanese Trapdoor
Snails? I believe those are the most beneficial
snails in a pond. I might have some that survived
"winter" (not much of one down here in San Antonio).
If that's what you're looking for, I'll check my ponds
to see if I have any to spare.

Here's one website (not mine) with a description:
http://www.pondscaper.com/critterssnail.html

I have a ton of common Ramshorn snails. I haven't
noticed they damage the plants but I only have hardy
water lilies, some kind of common rush, hornwort
& anacharis, so I can't guarantee they wouldn't harm
other types of plants. And they are prolific. You
probably don't want those, but if you do, I could
send dozens, which will probably be hundreds
by the time they reach you.

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 24-03-2004, 05:08 AM
jammer

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:48:59 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well, someone spoke to me about trap door snails. My pond is a 70
gallon baby and i am unsure if ping pong ball sized snails would wipe
out all the plants or just the excess algae. OR, if this would be too
small for them. I had some little black snails and that's about all i
know.

Old 24-03-2004, 05:13 AM
jammer

? I'm not sure!

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:16:19 -0600, "Pond Newbie"
wrote:

Are these the lil' teardrop shaped ones that you want?

DeAnna

Old 24-03-2004, 05:18 AM
jammer

Yes, i know. I had a snail problem in an aquarium once. I made the
mistake of flushing them.. By morning i had a toilet bowl full of
snails. haha

I had many and they kept the pond clean, but there isnt one of them
left. I guess something eats them around here.

On 23 Mar 2004 15:33:09 -0600, "Lee B." wrote:

Be careful what you wish for G. Most folks try to get *rid* of

snails!

Lee

.. .

Old 24-03-2004, 05:29 AM
Pond Newbie

Some are "good" and some are "bad". The ones here are tiny teardrop shaped black snails.

I was wondering if those are the good kind.

Perhaps someone in the group will advise us both.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-