Old 30-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default KOI Questions

Exactly!............................

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
I beg to differ with everyone else!

I think your wife is a genius! Obviously she wants a real large pond

and
you probably don't want to help her get it!

So she figures that if she gets you to keep the Koi fingerlings, then

you
will get attached tot he Koi and will be more apt to help her get the

larger
pond.

I think she is our kind of porg! And the koi peddler? He wants the
business! Algae bloom chemicals, replacement fish, on and on. And then

the
jackpot when you finally decide to get the bigger pond!

I will go back to my other conspiracy theory programs now!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Wayne" wrote in message
om...
I installed a 220 gallon pre-formed pond for my wife about 3 years

ago.
It
has a fountain filter and plenty of plants. The water is extremely

clear
with only 10 goldfish in it. She surprised me today by bringing home

4
small fingerling Koi to put in the pond. I urged her to take them

back,
that they are too much and will get too big for the pond. She argues

that
they aren't going back and that she will get rid of them if they get

too
big. She also said that the guy who sold them to her told her that it

would
take about five years for them to get six inches long. I think that

he's
full of crap and that my wife has lost her wits. Feedback on this

matter
will be deeply appreciated.

And then BOOM, Suddenly after the $3.49 PetSmart Koi get in thier new

3000
Gallon pond is when the nice Koi start showing up VIA UPS .. Wayne, you

got
to know its a ploy.... Ya gotta know...

Tim

Old 30-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Exactly!............................

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old 30-03-2004, 04:41 AM
Wayne

"T" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Your probably right g!

Old 30-03-2004, 04:50 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Exactly!............................

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old 30-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Exactly!............................

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"T" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old 30-03-2004, 11:35 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
I beg to differ with everyone else!

I think your wife is a genius! Obviously she wants a real large pond and
you probably don't want to help her get it!

snip

Nevermind that man behind the curtain. Move along, move along...nothing to
see here. Nudge Nudge. Know What I mean?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 10-10-2004, 04:02 PM

how long do you quarantine new fish before tossing them into your pond? Ingrid

wrote:

I have a fairly well established large pond, its about 3-4 feet deep,
everywhere, about 6-8 feet across and about 12 feet long. I use a bio
filter consisting of about 1/3 ton of gravel. NH3 level is immesurable. I
take rainwater off the roof of my house and overflow the pond to dilute
built up soluble salts etc. I have a double waterfall for airation feeding
from a small pond.. I have about 6 large Koi 12-16 inches, 2 grass garp 12
inches all grown from tiddlers no more than 2-3 inches long , a dozen
goldfish fish most home grown from just a few originals. All the fish are
behaving normally, and all are feeding normally. The fish are only fed Koi
food. All the fish are chubby, and the girl goldfish have huge bellies.
The water is very clear at the moment and it is easy to see the bottom. I
have specially designed my pond to be cat proof and heron proof. The water
is 8 inches below the surrond, and there is no shelf for herons to stand
on - 3ft of water straight down.

The questions:

4 weeks ago one of the 16 inch Ghost Koi died. I opened him up to see if he
had anything stuck in his gullet, but there was nothing obviously abnormal.
He didn't look ill or have any outwould signs of disease. He would have
been about 4 years old.

1. What is the average rate of loss of Koi from a shoal? Is the loss of
one unusual or quite to be expected?

3 weeks ago traded a few water lillies for a small young Koi and 2 small
golden tench. Skinny wretches compared with my fish.

All seemed well for the first week, but after that I haven't seen the tench
at all, except for about a week ago when I was pulling out some algae and
one of the tench was amongst it. I though it was dead, but when I touched
it, it swam off and I haven't seen either of them since. Remember they are
golden coloured not grass carp coloured!
"
2. Is this normal behaviour? And if they really are there, where do they
go?

3. Will golden tench eat 'floating' Koi food as the grass carp will. A
certain proportion of the floating food does sink.

4. A year ago I bought 2 starlets (dwarf sturgeon), one died after about 3
weeks, and the other I have never seen since. I have been told that these
fish are not suitable for still ponds, they need a stream to live in. So
where has the missing one gone?

Two days ago the new little Koi died. He teamed up with the small goldfish
and seemed quite happy with life doing fishy things with them. I have seen
him eating with his friends and and having fun. Then its fins up!

5. Is it a risk buying Koi at this time of the year as they haven't been
fed for some time?

Bearing in mind that the big Koi and goldfish seem OK, what is likely to be
going on?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:08 PM

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/...%20pond%20fish
altho Jan has a slightly difference methodology.
lots of people lost all their koi after tossing new fish in without quarantine.
Ingrid:

" wrote:

About 30 minutes. Enough time for them to get use to the new water and new
temperature! If you think that I should keep them in isolation, how should
I do this and for how long? The small Koi died after two weeks, and he
looked in fine form the day before.

Fireball

wrote in message
how long do you quarantine new fish before tossing them into your pond?
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List