Old 24-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Wayne

Default KOI Questions

I installed a 220 gallon pre-formed pond for my wife about 3 years ago. It
has a fountain filter and plenty of plants. The water is extremely clear
with only 10 goldfish in it. She surprised me today by bringing home 4
small fingerling Koi to put in the pond. I urged her to take them back,
that they are too much and will get too big for the pond. She argues that
they aren't going back and that she will get rid of them if they get too
big. She also said that the guy who sold them to her told her that it would
take about five years for them to get six inches long. I think that he's
full of crap and that my wife has lost her wits. Feedback on this matter
will be deeply appreciated.

Old 24-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Lee B.

(Long sigh) - yeh, the guys at the local fish store told me my 100 gal.
preform would support 5 koi, too. Then I found out OTHERwise! No way. I
think they just want to sell fish: after all, if you kill them, you'll come
back for more, right?

Better start planning and break out the shovel: you'll be turning your nice
little pre-form into a veggie filter or a header for the water fall to feed
that new 3,000 gallon pond you'll have to dig very (VERY) soon G!

Lee

om...

Old 24-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Offbreed

joe wrote:

On 3/24/04 12:02 PM, "Wayne" wrote:

She also said that the guy who sold them to her told her that it would
take about five years for them to get six inches long.

Probably less than one year.

... my wife has lost her wits.

You should never put this kind of stuff in writing!

What did Heinlein say? "If have an argument with your wife and you
turn out to be right, apologize immediately"?

Old 25-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Nedra

Well ... everyone can plainly see I lose my temper
very quickly. sigh It's inbred!

Lee, you have the best advice ...
Wayne, please hurry with that 3,000 gallon pond. We don't
want the Koi to suffer!

Nedra

"Lee B." wrote in message
(Long sigh) - yeh, the guys at the local fish store told me my 100 gal.
preform would support 5 koi, too. Then I found out OTHERwise! No way. I
think they just want to sell fish: after all, if you kill them, you'll

come
back for more, right?

Better start planning and break out the shovel: you'll be turning your

nice
little pre-form into a veggie filter or a header for the water fall to

feed
that new 3,000 gallon pond you'll have to dig very (VERY) soon G!

Lee

om...

Old 25-03-2004, 03:43 PM
BenignVanilla

"joe" wrote in message
On 3/24/04 12:02 PM, "Wayne" wrote:

She also said that the guy who sold them to her told her that it would
take about five years for them to get six inches long.

Probably less than one year.

... my wife has lost her wits.

You should never put this kind of stuff in writing!

IMHO, you are correct on all counts. Your pond is probably close to
overstocked as it is.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-03-2004, 02:22 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I beg to differ with everyone else!

I think your wife is a genius! Obviously she wants a real large pond and
you probably don't want to help her get it!

So she figures that if she gets you to keep the Koi fingerlings, then you
will get attached tot he Koi and will be more apt to help her get the larger
pond.

I think she is our kind of porg! And the koi peddler? He wants the
business! Algae bloom chemicals, replacement fish, on and on. And then the
jackpot when you finally decide to get the bigger pond!

I will go back to my other conspiracy theory programs now!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

om...

Old 29-03-2004, 06:05 PM

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
I beg to differ with everyone else!

I think your wife is a genius! Obviously she wants a real large pond and
you probably don't want to help her get it!

So she figures that if she gets you to keep the Koi fingerlings, then you
will get attached tot he Koi and will be more apt to help her get the

larger
pond.

I think she is our kind of porg! And the koi peddler? He wants the
business! Algae bloom chemicals, replacement fish, on and on. And then

the
jackpot when you finally decide to get the bigger pond!

I will go back to my other conspiracy theory programs now!

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Wayne" wrote in message
om...
[...]

And then BOOM, Suddenly after the $3.49 PetSmart Koi get in thier new 3000
Gallon pond is when the nice Koi start showing up VIA UPS .. Wayne, you got
to know its a ploy.... Ya gotta know...

Tim