Old 12-10-2004, 04:21 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

" wrote:

About 30 minutes. Enough time for them to get use to the new water and new
temperature! If you think that I should keep them in isolation, how should
I do this and for how long? The small Koi died after two weeks, and he
looked in fine form the day before.

The right way and the reasons why to quarantine:

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...t%20 Articles

~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 12-10-2004, 11:00 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I probably should have typed, one of the right ways, not *The* right way.
;o) ~ jan

The right way and the reasons why to quarantine:

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...t%20 Articles

~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-10-2004, 02:45 PM

well explain your indicator fish technique. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 13-10-2004, 09:45 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:45:24 GMT, wrote:

well explain your indicator fish technique. Ingrid

Mike Singleton says it better than I: )

The next thing that should be done and often is not, is the introduction of
an expendable "test flyer" (or two) from the main pond, *into* the QT tank.
That's right, move one or two fish *from* the pond, *into* the tank with
the new fish. Why? This will let you find out if the normal "background"
bacteria that are normal to your new fish, will be a problem for your
existing fish. All fish have "resident" bacteria that they are "used to."
Put a child in a new school, and you should not be surprised to find
him/her come home with a cold, or at least a simple case of the sniffles.
In a short period of time, he/she will get over it and will have adjusted
to the new "background bugs." Same with fish!

The fish from the pond will introduce the pond's background bacteria to the
new fish, and they will also have the chance to sample the new fish's
background bacteria. So, you have to watch *all* the fish in the QT tank.
If after two weeks of cohabitation everyone seems fine, start doing partial
water changes in the QT tank, replacing the removed water with water *from*
the main pond. Once satisfied that nothing new is going on with the new
fish once the majority of the water has been changed, then you can move
them to the main pond.

Full Text:

Old 14-10-2004, 11:22 PM

I have just read the link. Wow. You have to be joking! Where can I set up
that sort of system, and how can I provide the equipment and what appears to
be time as well for the welfare for one tiddler! I have bought about 10 Koi
and this was the first time I have lost one within 4 weeks of there
introduction. Was I lucky for the 10, or unlucky with the one that died.

Are we all absolutely sure that if you go to all that trouble described in
the link that a living fish is guarenteed all the way through to the end and
a successfully introduced fish?

I wonder how many fish die anyway during that complex introductory
methodology. The stress must be significant.

What do you think?

wrote in message
http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/...%20pond%20fish
altho Jan has a slightly difference methodology.
lots of people lost all their koi after tossing new fish in without
quarantine.
Ingrid:

" wrote:

About 30 minutes. Enough time for them to get use to the new water and
new
temperature! If you think that I should keep them in isolation, how
should
I do this and for how long? The small Koi died after two weeks, and he
looked in fine form the day before.

Fireball

wrote in message
how long do you quarantine new fish before tossing them into your pond?
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-10-2004, 02:13 PM

most people toss in that new fish and are lucky. then along comes a fish that has a
serious and deadly disease and wipes out all the fish in the pond. some fish are
even carriers and they wont die, but kill all the rest. after losing an entire
collection of friends ... koi that come to our hand, know us by sight that been
around for years to a new, small unknown new koi there simply isnt any question
anymore. the last koi I introduced had been quarantined inside in an aquarium for 6
months.
the point of quarantine is that if that fish is going to die better it dies alone in
the quarantine tank than spreading what it got to the established fish in the pond.
A koi in a 100 gallon quarantine rubbermaid stock tank can be treated, medicated and
even given injections if needed and it is more likely to survive the months of
quarantine there than in a pond where it couldnt be treated the same. Ingrid

wrote in message
how long do you quarantine new fish before tossing them into your pond?
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
[...]

Ingrid,

I am naughty and have not used a quarantine tank, so this is a serious
question. Each time you toss a fish into quarantine, and then move it to the
pond, do you empty the quarantine tank, disinfect it and then refill and
re-cycle it?

BV.

Old 15-10-2004, 06:58 PM

usually the stock tank is emptied and sits dry in the basement until the next spring.
I guess I would do what Jo Ann does... bomb it with PP. I have never had to recycle
any tank. I use one of those gravity filters. with all the water and the gravel and
pads in there it seems to cycle immediately. of course I am doing big water changes
at first cause that physically dilutes the number of cooties. Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
I am naughty and have not used a quarantine tank, so this is a serious
question. Each time you toss a fish into quarantine, and then move it to the
pond, do you empty the quarantine tank, disinfect it and then refill and
re-cycle it?

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 16-10-2004, 07:49 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
I am naughty and have not used a quarantine tank, so this is a serious
question. Each time you toss a fish into quarantine, and then move it to the
pond, do you empty the quarantine tank, disinfect it and then refill and
re-cycle it?

I don't, if the fish has proved to be healthy enough to go in the pond, the
Q-tank is safe, imo.

Regarding the practice of quarantine versus luck. If you don't have lots of
cash, tis much cheaper to treat 50-100 gallons of water instead of
thousands.

If you end up adding a fish with one of the viruses, the fish that don't
die, you will have to put down, if you ever want to add new fish again, and
then you have to bomb the pond with chlorine and lift all the folds, etc.
as some of the viruses can live up to 6 months in the mulm with no host.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 18-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
usually the stock tank is emptied and sits dry in the basement until the

next spring.
I guess I would do what Jo Ann does... bomb it with PP. I have never had

to recycle
any tank. I use one of those gravity filters. with all the water and the

gravel and
pads in there it seems to cycle immediately. of course I am doing big

water changes
at first cause that physically dilutes the number of cooties. Ingrid

What I meant was, if you use the tank for quarentine, do you bomb it
afterwards just in case the fish had cooties that you did not catch or
notice?

BV.

Old 21-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
no, once it is dry there just arent normal regular cooties. if I had fish

die in the
tank I guess I would bleach it. Ingrid

snip

Ahhh, you let it go dry between uses. I guess I always picture a full tank
ready to go and cycled at all times.

BV.