Old 29-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Josh

Default Thanks guys - my pond is running!

There is still SOOO much to do, but the hardest part is over, she's
running!

I've added some dechlorinator and once the water warms up (that bottom
drain & skimmer weir were COLD putting in) I'll get some little
goldfish to start with. I'd like to get some plants then too, water
lettuce and water hycanith like was suggested for me on here.

Eventually I want to get an ivy of some sort to take over the rest of
the bank around the waterfall and various plants around the pond
itself. Obviously I still need a ton more rock, I'm planning to raid
construction sites after dark ;-)

Thanks for everyone who helped me with different parts.

http://www.woosworld.net/pond/

(One very happy first time pond owner)
Josh
Old 29-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Mike Patterson

On 29 Mar 2004 06:27:16 -0800, (Josh) wrote:

There is still SOOO much to do, but the hardest part is over, she's
running!

I've added some dechlorinator and once the water warms up (that bottom
drain & skimmer weir were COLD putting in) I'll get some little
goldfish to start with. I'd like to get some plants then too, water
lettuce and water hycanith like was suggested for me on here.

Eventually I want to get an ivy of some sort to take over the rest of
the bank around the waterfall and various plants around the pond
itself. Obviously I still need a ton more rock, I'm planning to raid
construction sites after dark ;-)

Thanks for everyone who helped me with different parts.

http://www.woosworld.net/pond/

(One very happy first time pond owner)
Josh

Congratulations, I just got mine started recently, and already
enjoying it.

Stay away from the construction sites at night, that's asking to spend
an evening explaining to the nice men in uniforms what you're doing
and why it has to be done in the dark.

Just walk up the site during the work day and ask for the foreman,
then oh-so-politely ask if you can have some of the rock. Usually (but
not -always-) they have to pay to have it hauled away, so they are
happy to let you take it.

However, I -have- had a guy say that the owner specifically wanted the
rock, so I couldn't have it. Taking it after dark would have been
stealing in every sense of the word.

HTH

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 30-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Josh

Mike Patterson wrote in message . ..
Stay away from the construction sites at night, that's asking to spend
an evening explaining to the nice men in uniforms what you're doing
and why it has to be done in the dark.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Hah ;-) Sorry, I do intend to ask (my Dad does construction up North
so it was really his idea saying just that, they pay to have it hauled
away so often they would love for you to take it)

We were supposed to have goldfish in the pond, but my wife got a look
at the koi and now we have 4 to start with. Not nearly enough plants,
I hope some of them get growing pretty quick!

Old 30-03-2004, 03:51 AM
Nedra

Hi Josh,
Your pond and waterfall look very nice.
I'm worried about how many gallons of water you have though?
4 Koi will need lots of water!

Nedra

"Josh" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old 30-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Josh

I thought everyone said 1000 gallons for the first + 100/koi after
that (meaning 1300 gallons for 4) - my pond is 14' long x 9' wide x
2'+ deep giving me about 1900 gallons(actually more, as my specs were
2 feet deep but she's running more around 2.5 giving me closer to
2300), I should be fine shouldn't I?

I put salt in last night along with 2 different things the pond store
gave - one to help my lilies grow and the other was like a bacteria
shot, I meant to write down the names for here(I also got water
hycanith and a barley bale). I don't nearly have enough plants
though, so I hope they get growing pretty quick!

This morning the blue jays were eating my water hycanith, is that
normal of the little buggers?

"Nedra" wrote in message link.net...
Hi Josh,
Your pond and waterfall look very nice.
I'm worried about how many gallons of water you have though?
4 Koi will need lots of water!

Nedra

om...

Old 30-03-2004, 08:27 PM
BenignVanilla

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
I thought everyone said 1000 gallons for the first + 100/koi after
that (meaning 1300 gallons for 4) - my pond is 14' long x 9' wide x
2'+ deep giving me about 1900 gallons(actually more, as my specs were
2 feet deep but she's running more around 2.5 giving me closer to
2300), I should be fine shouldn't I?

Assuming you have proper filtration, you should be fine. Technically you
could keep a koi in a couple gallons of water and call it a Betta, if you
had the proper filtration. The 1000+100per limit is a general rule of thumb
that in general provides enough buffer for swings in ammonia, nitrites, etc.
With this buffer you are able to having rising levels without instant fish
kills. It's akin to being in a burning house, or near a burning a house. You
make the choice which would be easier to tolerate. LOL.

I put salt in last night along with 2 different things the pond store
gave - one to help my lilies grow and the other was like a bacteria
shot, I meant to write down the names for here(I also got water
hycanith and a barley bale). I don't nearly have enough plants
though, so I hope they get growing pretty quick!

What are you treating for? There are 2 or 3 of us on this group, that don't
fix it, if it ain't broke. Additives? What for?

This morning the blue jays were eating my water hycanith, is that
normal of the little buggers?

Nature is a funny thing.
snip

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Josh

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message ...
Assuming you have proper filtration, you should be fine. Technically you
could keep a koi in a couple gallons of water and call it a Betta, if you
had the proper filtration. The 1000+100per limit is a general rule of thumb
that in general provides enough buffer for swings in ammonia, nitrites, etc.
With this buffer you are able to having rising levels without instant fish
kills. It's akin to being in a burning house, or near a burning a house. You
make the choice which would be easier to tolerate. LOL.

Currently I just have a skimmer with a bottom drain feeding a biofalls
with 3 thick filter mats. It came with the bag for some media, but
I'm a dolt and put the filters in the bag thinking that was the media
;-) I need to get some in there, I see alot of people use little
chunks of foam or is there something better?

I put salt in last night along with 2 different things the pond store
gave - one to help my lilies grow and the other was like a bacteria
shot, I meant to write down the names for here(I also got water
hycanith and a barley bale). I don't nearly have enough plants
though, so I hope they get growing pretty quick!

What are you treating for? There are 2 or 3 of us on this group, that don't
fix it, if it ain't broke. Additives? What for?

They told me salt (1lb/100gallons) was a must for a startup tank.
Maybe they just sold me something I don't need I dunno. I had planned
on turtles and goldfish but my wife saw the koi and declared we were
having those. I was pretty sure I had enough water so I said ok. The
problem is now I have to start learning again all over ;-) I had
previously been skipping all the koi comments.

Currently my only filter is my biofalls, do I need to get an external
filter and if so what kind would work the best? Also, the pond store
was convinvced I needed a UV but I would be more interested in the
natural way, plants etc(partly cost, partly because I just dont think
all this external stuff should be needed) and I know some of you on
here subscibe to that. Can anyone send me to some startup reading?

Thanks for all the help guys/gals, I'd much rather listen to people
who have ponds on here then the guys at the store who just want to
sell me another 20 things. Plus I'm a DIY'r and this is much more the
spirit ;-)