Old 31-03-2004, 06:34 AM
NewbieBill

Default Catching fish

Sorry about the "test". So many questions and so much time to wait.
I originally put a number of feeder comets in my new pond to kinda
test my conditions and mostly so I had something to look at in my new
reclaimed pond. I had reasoned all along I can always take some of
them out later. Well I can't, even though I'm trying. They won't
listen when I say I want that little common and put my little aquarium
net or pool skimmer in the water not only don't they just jump right
in, but typically swim away - rapidly. I tried to trick them once by
having my net ready at feed time but most saw the method to my madness
and I am concerned about crashing down my net on a group of fish lest
I injure any of them. Even the removee's I was hoping to take back to
the pet store (adoption) not kill them and certainly not kill any of
my newer fish which did cost more than 24 cents each. Suggestions?
Bill
Old 31-03-2004, 06:37 AM
Pond Newbie

Netting fish is an acquired skill. Especially comets. I understand why they are named
comets, because they can move very fast when they want to.

I actually got a bird net. It is very large, and soft, and the mesh is very fine. I bought
it for catching Anoles, but it works even better for fish! Sometimes you have to chase
them until they get tired. You can scoop the net down into the water pretty rapidly
without hurting them.

I had an awful time catching mine the last time I had to drain the pond. It took a lot of
perseverance and patience.

Good luck!
DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

om...

Old 31-03-2004, 07:34 AM
bmuller

I see from your previous posts you are planning a "Mixed" pond rather than a
purely "fish" pond. Expensive fish such as Koi tend to dig in your plants
and are not ideal for a "mixed" pond, so I suggest you just leave the guys
in your pond until the end of the season, then partially or completely drain
the pond and catch them then. I live in Michigan, and drain the pond every
October, and catch out all the fish. The small ones I trade to the local pet
store for fish food, and the nice ones I keep. I started with 10 comets
about 15 years ago, and now I have many different shades of color and some
very spectacular finnage.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Paul Irwin

I generally use a minnow seine. The one I have is 4' x8' and I attached some
plastic pipe to the sides to make it easier for one person to use. You
should ba able to find one in a sporting goods store or bait shop.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Paul Irwin

Old 08-04-2004, 02:04 PM
~ Windsong ~

"NewbieBill" wrote in message
om...
Sorry about the "test". So many questions and so much time to wait.
I originally put a number of feeder comets in my new pond to kinda
test my conditions and mostly so I had something to look at in my new
reclaimed pond.

We drain the pond down to almost nothing... then easily net every last fish
for culling. Empty the rest of the dirty water, hose the sides and plants
and remove THAT water - then refill. The pond gets a cleaning and water
change and the fish get culled. The culls are given away or traded at a
local fish store. It's the only thing that works for us. Too many get
around seine nets and the water is left in a deplorable condition.
--
Carol....
My Webpages: