Old 01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Lotus Repotting Yet?

Anyone in Zone 6ish repoting Lotus yet? Mine is in it's temporary rectangle
rubbermaid at the bottom of 3.5 feet of water. I can't get it out without
getting in, and that just ain't happening for another month or so.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 06-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Nedra

BV,

I'm delighted to report that we don't have to get in ice cold
water - not yet! You can wait until there are two, maybe 3
leaves floating on the surface before Repotting. This info
is per James Allison of the International Water Lilies group.

Nedra

Old 06-04-2004, 09:21 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
news
BV,

I'm delighted to report that we don't have to get in ice cold
water - not yet! You can wait until there are two, maybe 3
leaves floating on the surface before Repotting. This info
is per James Allison of the International Water Lilies group.
snip

Well that is a relief, although last year, I got the tubors from a friend
and was running out of time, so I tossed them in 30 gallon rubbermaid and
sank it. The plants grew very nicely, but now they are 4 feet down and under
plenty of muckthat has fallen into the pond. I need to get them out of that
big barrel, replanted and in less water. Although I had great success last
year, I think this year, I'll plant them more properly.

I just need to find some shallow pots that are easier to move. I have a 3.5
foot long planter box, kinda window sill style. I was thinking of planting a
tubor in that and seeing how well it does this year.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 06-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Nedra

But how in heck will you move the 3.5 window box when it
is full of lotuses?? That will be awfully heavy - for me anyway.
I have mine planted in 14 inch round plastic dishpans that I
bought at the $$ store. Seems to work fine... and I can lift
them ;-)

Good Luck this year with your lotuses... I remember the
beautiful pictures from last year.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:21 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
But how in heck will you move the 3.5 window box when it
is full of lotuses?? That will be awfully heavy - for me anyway.
I have mine planted in 14 inch round plastic dishpans that I
bought at the $$ store. Seems to work fine... and I can lift
them ;-)

snip

Really? Just 14 inch? That's awesome. I think I have a few of those.

As for the window box, they work great. Since they are moulded plastic, they
have a huge lip around the edge. When I want to fetch them, I flip a rake
over and hook the tines under the lip, and lift.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Peggy

Hi Nedra ( and everyone) what do you use for planting medium for your lotus
plants?

Peggy

link.net...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nedra

Hi Peggy,

I use plain ole garden soil to plant to lotuses. No sweat -
no strain. The worst of it for me is getting my knees and back
to work in unison to remove the containers.

Nedra

"Peggy" wrote in message
Hi Nedra ( and everyone) what do you use for planting medium for your

lotus
plants?

Peggy

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
But how in heck will you move the 3.5 window box when it
is full of lotuses?? That will be awfully heavy - for me anyway.
I have mine planted in 14 inch round plastic dishpans that I
bought at the $$ store. Seems to work fine... and I can lift
them ;-)

Good Luck this year with your lotuses... I remember the
beautiful pictures from last year.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

news BV,

Old 06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nedra

ahhhh ... okay BV. I thought your window box was wood ...

I have my own theory on planting lotus. I don't think they need
near as much soil as is printed in books. I've experimented
and found that they jump the pots - no matter what.
The lotus pond (link is the second one below my sig) is
pretty much testimony that they do their own thing.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

link.net...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nedra

ahhhh ... okay BV. I thought your window box was wood ...

I have my own theory on planting lotus. I don't think they need
near as much soil as is printed in books. I've experimented
and found that they jump the pots - no matter what.
The lotus pond (link is the second one below my sig) is
pretty much testimony that they do their own thing.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
But how in heck will you move the 3.5 window box when it
is full of lotuses?? That will be awfully heavy - for me anyway.
I have mine planted in 14 inch round plastic dishpans that I
bought at the $$ store. Seems to work fine... and I can lift
them ;-)

snip

Really? Just 14 inch? That's awesome. I think I have a few of those.

As for the window box, they work great. Since they are moulded plastic,

they
have a huge lip around the edge. When I want to fetch them, I flip a rake
over and hook the tines under the lip, and lift.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Lotus Repotting Yet? BenignVanilla Ponds 0 01-04-2004 08:18 PM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM
repotting. Buridan Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 09:03 PM
Repotting Phalanopsis Greg Orchids 5 26-01-2003 04:09 AM