Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Pond Newbie

Default Question about FULL pond.

Try building a 'mound' of rock on one corner, kind of like steps, or plant a lot of plants
that 'clump' just below and above the surface. I am lucky. My pond has that 'bog' rim, so
they can get in and out easier. They were singing so beautifully last night! I think we
had the Houston toads (at least the song sounded like it). I HOPE their mating is
successful and productive. If I find eggs, they are going into the spillway bog, away from
the water piggies.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-
"jammer" wrote in message ...
The only answer i came up with on having a way for the toads (when
they come in a few weeks) to get out of the pond, was to keep it
filled to the rim so they can walk out! I do NOT, however, want to
come home and find a dead goldfish on the side. Is this bound to
happen?

Old 06-04-2004, 09:24 PM
jammer

Water piggies won't eat toadpoles and there will be so many, it
wouldn't matter if they did eat some. I think birds get a lot of
them. I have a funky little kidney shapped preform and I can't mound
rocks on one end. I do have primrose growing like freakin' mad and it
floats, but in order to help them get out, i have to raise the water
level. I have kept the pond full to the rim for a few days and watched
my fish. I haven't seen them try to jump out.

I just can't wait for the toads.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Pond Newbie

Mine are singing for all they are worth right now. I have a wireless mic in the backyard,
on the table on the porch, which is connected to this computer. As I type this, I am
listening to toad songs... I hope we have MANY babies! And they ARE Houston toads
(endangered species) as I actually saw two of them last night. w00t!

*sigh*

I love this place.

Our Mama and Papa Bluebirds are tending lil' ones in the closest birdhouse (so much for
the bird books and bluebird birdhouse instructions that say they are shy and private.) We
also have some adorable wrens that last year made a nest in my petunia hanging basket
(killing the petunias, because I wouldn't water until they'd fledged.) The barn swallows
have a nest built, and it looks like she is on eggs. She is so tame she doesn't fly off
when I come to the door anymore (but I am waiting for one of them to 'drop something' on
my head as I unlock the door...hahaha).

I have two huge greenish frogs, I am not sure what kind, that live in the pond, one of
which was 'assisting me' with installing that foam stuff around the waterfalls yesterday.
The little rosy red piranhas, errr, minnows nibbled at my legs all the while, and Charlie
(the comet) decided to give me a taste too. The koi are a lot more skittish, spending most
of their time behind the flowerpots when I am in the pond.

It is so nice to come home to all this beauty and nature, and relax by my pond, watching
the piggies eat their food and listening to the trilling of the toads.

DeAnna

Old 06-04-2004, 09:26 PM
jammer

I know...it really is nice to sit out there. I have a dinky little no
frills thing and I find all kinds of wildlife in and around it. If i
ever...no, WHEN I build a bigger better one with a water fall, I
might have to build myself a shelter around it, because i love being
out there so much already. We still have a night in the 40's coming
up, so i'm sure the toads will wait a bit to come out up here.

Enjoy!!

Old 07-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Pond Newbie

I had a doctors appointment this week, the waterfall was leaking and I had to repair it,
and the cat had to be shaved (which involves a huge fight, and lots of cleanup), so I
didn't get any snails in the snail mail. It is on the top of the list for next Tuesday!

DeAnna

Old 08-04-2004, 07:03 AM
jammer

That's fine, doll. I appreciate you and when my ship comes in next
month i will buy us both something for the pond.