Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 PM
pixi

Default Problem with new pond

Had my pond and waterfall put in last fall but...
The skimmer is too low in the water. The landscaper was so far behind in
his work that I said I would wait until spring if he would come back in
April.

Now he says he can't and I'll have to wait my turn. Whenever that might
be.. So I think I'm stuck. I certainly can't landscape around the skimmer
and am not sure whether I dare put fish now or not.

Can anyone tell me if I dare put fish in now? Will it hurt them if he
raises the skimmer with the fish in? Or I suppose I could take them out
temporarily. Got another pond down the hill where the fish live at present.

Pixi

Old 12-04-2004, 08:04 AM
~ Windsong ~

"pixi" wrote in message
Had my pond and waterfall put in last fall but...
The skimmer is too low in the water. The landscaper was so far behind in
his work that I said I would wait until spring if he would come back in
April.

Now he says he can't and I'll have to wait my turn. Whenever that might
be.. So I think I'm stuck. I certainly can't landscape around the

skimmer
and am not sure whether I dare put fish now or not.

Can anyone tell me if I dare put fish in now? Will it hurt them if he
raises the skimmer with the fish in? Or I suppose I could take them out
temporarily. Got another pond down the hill where the fish live at

present.
==========================
I noticed no one replied to your post but it is a holiday. :-) I don't
have waterfalls and skimmers. I do know my fish are thriving without these
things. I do have a filter, settling plant tank and a second pump to keep
the water moving better in both ponds this year. I can't see why raising
the skimmer would harm the fish should you put them in the pond now.
If he dumps soil or other debris in your pond when he works on it it may
cloud the water for awhile. Can you find someone else who is not so busy?
Perhaps you can add the fish and hope for the best.
--
Carol....
"Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way."

Old 12-04-2004, 11:05 PM
RichToyBox

I raised the elevation of the sides of my smaller pond and had to lift the
skimmer about 6 inches. I did it with about 8 or 10 inches of water in the
pond. It would have been easier if the pond were completely empty, but the
fish were too many and too big to move, so I left them enough water to swim
in. As I lifted the skimmer, it had to be pushed toward the pond to keep
from having the holes in the liner in the wrong place. I then packed dirt
under the skimmer, and refilled the pond. It can be done, but it is easier
empty.
--
RichToyBox

Old 13-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Sue Walsh

"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:X0Eec.22039$_K3.56846@attbi_s53...
I raised the elevation of the sides of my smaller pond and had to lift the
skimmer about 6 inches. I did it with about 8 or 10 inches of water in the
pond. It would have been easier if the pond were completely empty, but the
fish were too many and too big to move, so I left them enough water to swim
in. As I lifted the skimmer, it had to be pushed toward the pond to keep
from having the holes in the liner in the wrong place. I then packed dirt
under the skimmer, and refilled the pond. It can be done, but it is easier
empty.

Rich,
What did you do to seal the original holes in the liner when you raised the skimmer?

Sue W
Old 13-04-2004, 09:36 PM
RichToyBox

I kept the skimmer and liner connected, during the raising. It was a little
bit more difficult that way, but it worked. The hole where the bottom drain
fits, pulled somewhat loose, but I just realigned it and retightened the
bulkhead fitting. As I said, the skimmer had to be pushed toward the pond
to allow the liner to come up with the skimmer.
--
RichToyBox

om...