Old 12-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Michael Lee

Default Monstro's Big Adventure

My, what an exciting week.

Monday: We came home to find one of our black Koi had 'something' hanging
out of his mouth. We tried to catch him with no luck. something about a 6
inch black fish in a 2700 gallon pond...

Tuesday: We tried again with no luck...

Wednesday: We finally netted him. We found that the 'something' was his
whole right cheek with the cartridge from around the right side of his
mouth. One of our dogs must have snagged him, ripping open his mouth and
cheek. we put him in a party drink container and called our local pond store
(great people, http://www.ponds4u.com/) unfortunately, both of their Koi
experts were not working that day. We then called our local vet, who
referred us to another vet who looked after our pets 20+ years ago. We
called him, but he did not return our call until ...

Thursday: He called, and Sue and he reminisced about old times and old pets.
He said he was sorry, but his exotic specialties did not include fish, but
he and called around and found a vet who he trusted who knew about fish. Sue
called Cathy, the 'fish expert' and set an appointment for later that
afternoon. We put saran wrap over the tub (where are plastic bags when you
need them?) and transported him to the vet's office. Cathy was wonderful.
She immediately took us into the exam room, stating she did not want the
fish attacking any of the other animals in the waiting room. She did the
exam, stating she though she could do surgery on him and repair the damage.
She also stated that she had just finished her last class in fish care the
previous night! She went out to get us an estimate of the charges, and a lab
tech came in to administer oxygen to the water, it had been sitting for over
24 hours and was getting a little ripe. He set up a bubbler of pure O2 while
Sue and I filled out the paper work. We were stumped for a name, hey, we
have over 40 fish, and only one or two have names! We decided on a Disney
name, and Nemo seemed too popular now days, so the only other fish name I
could think of in a hurry was Monstro, the whale out of Pinocchio. OK, he's
not really a fish, but hey, I was stressed. The estimate came in at $230, we
had already committed to doing what we could for him, so we agreed. Cathy
came in with a baby scale and a small tub so she could weigh him and
calculate the amount of anesthesia he would need. He weighed in at 6.5 Oz.
Off she went to her calculator, and another assistant came in with the
surgery instruments and a towel to lay him on. One big concern was damage to
his scales. Everybody also gloved up to help reduce the damage. Cathy came
back in, the one assistant moved Monstro over to the little tub with the
towel and almost enough water to cover him. The 1st lab tech moved the O2
feed over to the small tub so it was bubbling just in front of Monstro's
face, and he turned on the Nitrous Oxide. After a few moments, we could
actually see Monstro relax as the drug took hold. Cathy started cutting the
dead and shredded tissue away. Sue assisted by holding a 4x4 wipe to clean
off the scalpel. I kept Cathy supplied with whatever tool she needed, plus
kept hoses and whatever away from her so she had free movement. Every once
in a while, Cathy needed the assistant to lift Monstro out of the water so
she could see what she was doing. Once the wound was cleaned, it looked
pretty good, he had no right cheek and his mouth was missing at that point,
but everything else looked clean and healthy. she then took a suture to pull
the opening together. Another doctor or tech walked in at that time to see
what was going on, and he was enlisted in keeping the suture from tangling.
I looked at this and had to laugh. Here is a 6 inch, 6.5 ounce carp with 6
people hovering over him doing heroics, what a scene! The minute Cathy stuck
the needle in him to start suturing him up, he really bucked! He could feel
the pain! She increased the NO dosage and waited a moment before she tried
again. She sutured him up, tied it off and put him back in his own tub. The
assistant then 'walked' him around for about 10 minutes until the NO wore
off. It was just like Sea World, where someone is in the tank with the
Dolphin, walking him around until he can swim on his own! Amazing! Once he
was swimming on his own, Cathy came back in and gave him a shot of
antibiotics. She showed us how to do it, because she wanted him to get a
shot a day for the next few days. The next step was to see if he would or
could eat. We packed him back home and left him in his tub in the back yard.

Friday: I drilled some holes in the tub and we put it on a plant shelf of
our pond so he could get fresh water. we covered the tub with a net so he
could not get out and he was safe from dogs, etc. We gave him his first shot
and gave him food to see if he would eat. We counted 5 pellets, and were
hoping to see less than that a little later in the day. We got busy doing
yard things, and after a couple of hours, Sue went to check up on him, only
to find and empty tub. He had escaped somehow. So much for any more
injections.

Saturday: Finally found him, swimming with the rest of the gang. We did our
normal morning feeding, and - wonder of wonders - he managed to down about
a half dozen pellets! He kinda looks odd, like someone who tried to talk
after a stroke. His mouth opens at a diagonal rather than down, so he misses
his target most of the time, but he is eating. Time for celebrating!

All I have to say is he will really be an ungrateful little poop if he dies
on us now...

--
Shalom!
Michael Lee

Old 12-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Gail Futoran

"Michael Lee" wrote in message
My, what an exciting week.

Monday: We came home to find one of our black Koi had

'something' hanging
out of his mouth. We tried to catch him with no luck.

something about a 6
inch black fish in a 2700 gallon pond...

[snip]

Great story, and I hope little Monstro lives to
a ripe old age! You all should get an award
for best Pet Parents of the Month.

Gail

Old 12-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Lee B.

Good story: you were lucky to find someone that would work with fish at a
local vet's. FWIW, I like to use (the small bubble) bubble wrap to cushion
fish when I work on them. It can be sprayed with pond water or Tricide Neo
or whatever and is really easy on their scales and slime coat. Congrats on
his recovery!

Lee

Old 13-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Gabrielle

Wow! I hope Monstro is doing well with his misshapen mouth. You should
get an award for caring enough to take him to get help!

Gabrielle

Old 14-04-2004, 12:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Great story, thanks for taking the time to type that up. Keep us informed
of his progress. ~ jan

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:13:16 -0700, "Michael Lee" wrote:

[...]

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Old 25-04-2004, 06:04 AM
AZKalEl

What a great story. I love fish but Monstro's lucky he was not in my
pond, he would have ended up being called Sushi. =)
I wish you had some pictures of him to share, I'd love to see what he
came out looking like.
Hey now that he's had so much plastic surgery maybe you should change
his name to Jacko...
Old 26-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Michael Lee

Monstro is actually doing very well. His stitches pulled out, and his mouth
gapes a little, but he is able to work his mouth, and he gets enough food.
He has to make two or three passes to snatch a piece, but he is definately
getting enough to eat. He swims with the big boys in the main school, and is
always first at the surface for meals.

We thought about trying to get some pictures, but he is black, and fish are
hard enough to photograph. I really don't think any would turn out. I may
try...

--
Shalom!
Michael Lee

"AZKalEl" wrote in message
om...
What a great story. I love fish but Monstro's lucky he was not in my
pond, he would have ended up being called Sushi. =)
I wish you had some pictures of him to share, I'd love to see what he
came out looking like.
Hey now that he's had so much plastic surgery maybe you should change
his name to Jacko...

Trying to set up CO2 equipment...what an adventure ah Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 24-02-2006 04:59 AM
[IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) - update sam crowell Bonsai 3 27-05-2004 01:07 AM
[IBC] Stinky Adventure (ginkgo seeds found) sam crowell Bonsai 4 22-12-2003 05:13 PM
duckweed adventure John Rutz Ponds 7 13-07-2003 03:08 PM
Pond building adventure ~ jan Ponds 1 25-01-2003 07:55 PM