Old 15-04-2004, 06:03 AM

Default Killing fish ... sorry : (

Orfes are type of fish actively feed on fry. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Iguana

Wouldn't slowly lowering the water temperature to freezing also be a humane
death?

pmwebdesigns wrote:
The below information is from Koko's Goldfish Site
Preferred Method: Clove Oil and Tank Water Method
Buy pure clove oil. You can get it at a health food store for under
$10 for a ½ ounce bottle. Put the fish in a medium sized mixing bowl
in his own water from his tank. In a small jar or something with a
lid (I use a cleaned out jelly jar) mix the clove oil with tank
water. Put the lid on and shake it like crazy over and over until the
liquid in it is white. Then pour a little into the mixing bowl with
the fish. Swirl it with your hand. The fish might fight it just a
little bit and then slow down. Then pour a little more in and swirl
again. He should just go to sleep and appear dead. If he doesn't, try
a little more of the clove solution, always shaking very well before
an addition to the bowl. When he goes to sleep, leave him in the
solution for a good 10 minutes and then put him in a small cup or
zip-lock baggie and put him in the freezer. Pain free death. Very
humane. We should all go so easily.

Clove Oil and Vodka DON'T USE!!!!
The clove oil and vodka method is often sited as a humane method of
fish euthanasia. Clove oil (eugenol) is used as an anesthetic in fish
for surgery. The vodka is used to disperse the clove oil in the
water. The clove oil/vodka mixture is placed in water and then the
fish is added and supposedly dies peacefully. This doesn't work! Use
the clove oil and tank water method described above.

Priss

"Nanceemo" wrote in message
I hate to be asking this question, but I need to get rid of many
little fishies. I've tried finding new homes, but no takers, and my
pond looks more like a mud puddle than anything, and the population
is increasing exponentially. Is there a ralatively humane way to
do this?

Nancy

Old 15-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Lee B.

That method has been debated. General consensus is that the fish would not
yet be dead by the time it began to freeze: that means that its fins, eyes,
and other external areas would freeze, crystallize - and hurt - before the
internal functions shut down. Much better to use oil of clove, MS-222 or
something similar first. Push come to shove, decapitation is quick (albeit
messy and traumatic for both the fish and the owner).

And before I start a debate on whether or not fish feel pain, I prefer to
err on the side of caution and make the assumption that they DO and treat
accordingly - than that they don't.

Lee

.cable.rogers.com...

Old 15-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
Well I reckon this is a no win solution here. When you run out of pet
stores, friends..etc... and park lakes are a no no then humane euthanasia

is
the only other option. To bad they haven't made a Fish Birth Control pill.

snip

One thing you can do is pay attention to your pond during spawning times.
You could probably do a lot to reduce your numbers to keep an eye out. When
you see the eggs on your plants, etc. Take the plants out and wash away the
eggs. I am not for actively killing critters under any circumstances, but
destroying the eggs is probably an acceptable practice, and would help a
lot, I am sure.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 15-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Benign Vanilla

"paul_v_biker" wrote in
message s.com...
Where abouts are you?

i wouldn't mind more fry!!

snip

I must say this thread is giving me the hee-bee-gee-bee's. Last year someone
started the same thread, and when I asked where the OP was from, as I would
take the fry he/she never responded. I notice, you have not gotten a
response either. Priss...that wasn't you last year was it?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 15-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Iguana" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
Wouldn't slowly lowering the water temperature to freezing also be a

humane
death?

snip

Don't we mean fishmane? I mean their not human right?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 15-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Lee B." wrote in message
That method has been debated. General consensus is that the fish would not
yet be dead by the time it began to freeze: that means that its fins,

eyes,
and other external areas would freeze, crystallize - and hurt - before the
internal functions shut down. Much better to use oil of clove, MS-222 or
something similar first. Push come to shove, decapitation is quick (albeit
messy and traumatic for both the fish and the owner).

And before I start a debate on whether or not fish feel pain, I prefer to
err on the side of caution and make the assumption that they DO and treat
accordingly - than that they don't.

snip

I for one believe they do feel pain...

http://www.animal-lib.org.au/lists/fish/fish.shtml
http://www.nofishing.net/pain.html

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 15-04-2004, 05:03 PM

What happens to nerves as temperature drops?

My mother had knee replacement surgery. They got a new contraption that wraps around
the surgical site and cold water( from a little ice chest) is pumped thru the wrap to
"ice" the knee. Not only does this bring down swelling, it also numbs out the whole
thing. My mother said she felt almost no pain.. actually her back was killing her
from having to lay in bed in one position, that is the only reason she took pain
meds.

Up here in the frozen tundra we understand about "freezing to death".. it happens
every year, and some people they bring back, and all of them report no pain UNTIL
they are brought back. Ingrid

"Lee B." wrote:
General consensus is that the fish would not
yet be dead by the time it began to freeze: that means that its fins, eyes,
and other external areas would freeze, crystallize - and hurt - before the
internal functions shut down.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 15-04-2004, 05:33 PM
joe

Careful, you'll get the pope involved.

Joe

the only other option. To bad they haven't made a Fish Birth Control pill.

Old 15-04-2004, 06:34 PM
pmwebdesigns

No. I haven't gotten no fry yet this year.
The person ( Nancy) that started this tread has fry.
I was just saying what I did the one time last year when I ran out of places
for my fry I did have. I guess putting them in the park was a no no but at
the time I didn't think anything about it. Since you educated me on the
matter I won't do it again.
I did come up with an idea when I do need to find homes was to put a note up
at the watergarden places that goes to peoples houses to build ponds. Theres
a paper here that comes out once a week if you are giving something away you
can put a ad. for free. I think its call Tell-N-Sell.

Priss

Old 15-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
No. I haven't gotten no fry yet this year.
The person ( Nancy) that started this tread has fry.
I was just saying what I did the one time last year when I ran out of

places
for my fry I did have. I guess putting them in the park was a no no but at
the time I didn't think anything about it. Since you educated me on the
matter I won't do it again.
I did come up with an idea when I do need to find homes was to put a note

up
at the watergarden places that goes to peoples houses to build ponds.

Theres
a paper here that comes out once a week if you are giving something away

you
can put a ad. for free. I think its call Tell-N-Sell.

snip

You are redeemed. Great idea. So where are you? What kind of fry and how
big? I have some tinfoil barbs that will gobble the little buggers up.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 15-04-2004, 08:05 PM
joe

Wow, a quadruple, double negative. Cool.

Joe

Old 15-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Lee B.

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree. Perhaps a one-way
trip doesn't have any pain associated with it . . . but the idea of my
eyeballs crystallizing before my body core shuts down on my way to that
one-way trip isn't appealing. And I realize that I'm anthropomorphizing
here. It's a perfectly acceptable method for a lot of people. And it's
preferable to a LOT of other methods of heard of. It's just not one *I'd*
use, but then - I have oil of clove *and* MS-222 in my cabinet.

Lee

"Lee B." wrote:
General consensus is that the fish would not
yet be dead by the time it began to freeze: that means that its fins,

eyes,
and other external areas would freeze, crystallize - and hurt - before

the
internal functions shut down.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-04-2004, 08:39 PM
pmwebdesigns

I'm in Coastal Ga. I don't need anything to eat fry right now. Don't have no
babies. I have Koi, Shubunkins and Comets.
I'm putting in a new pond 15x15 and 4 ft deep so I'm good for awhile. I like
the idea of trying to keep watch for the eggs and throwing them out. Good
tip.
[...]

pump gone - need fish info please - long sorry elaine Ponds 7 25-02-2007 02:07 PM
sick fish? (long-sorry) Cheryl Ponds 4 10-05-2004 03:06 PM
Killing Fish - Update Nanceemo Ponds 1 04-05-2004 02:08 AM
Killing fish ... sorry : ( reply from Nancy Nanceemo Ponds 6 18-04-2004 02:08 AM
Killing algae in fountain (no fish or plants) ? Folklore Ponds 4 14-06-2003 07:44 AM