Old 12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Nanceemo

Default Killing fish ... sorry : (

I hate to be asking this question, but I need to get rid of many little
fishies. I've tried finding new homes, but no takers, and my pond looks more
like a mud puddle than anything, and the population is increasing
exponentially. Is there a ralatively humane way to do this?

Nancy
Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
pmwebdesigns

The below information is from Koko's Goldfish Site
Preferred Method: Clove Oil and Tank Water Method
Buy pure clove oil. You can get it at a health food store for under $10 for
a ½ ounce bottle. Put the fish in a medium sized mixing bowl in his own
water from his tank. In a small jar or something with a lid (I use a cleaned
out jelly jar) mix the clove oil with tank water. Put the lid on and shake
it like crazy over and over until the liquid in it is white. Then pour a
little into the mixing bowl with the fish. Swirl it with your hand. The fish
might fight it just a little bit and then slow down. Then pour a little more
in and swirl again. He should just go to sleep and appear dead. If he
doesn't, try a little more of the clove solution, always shaking very well
before an addition to the bowl. When he goes to sleep, leave him in the
solution for a good 10 minutes and then put him in a small cup or zip-lock
baggie and put him in the freezer. Pain free death. Very humane. We should
all go so easily.

Clove Oil and Vodka DON'T USE!!!!
The clove oil and vodka method is often sited as a humane method of fish
euthanasia. Clove oil (eugenol) is used as an anesthetic in fish for
surgery. The vodka is used to disperse the clove oil in the water. The clove
oil/vodka mixture is placed in water and then the fish is added and
supposedly dies peacefully. This doesn't work! Use the clove oil and tank
water method described above.

Priss

Old 13-04-2004, 03:34 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Nanceemo" wrote in message
I hate to be asking this question, but I need to get rid of many little
fishies. I've tried finding new homes, but no takers, and my pond looks

more
like a mud puddle than anything, and the population is increasing
exponentially. Is there a ralatively humane way to do this?

==========================
Have you tried all the pet stores that sell fish in your area? Many will
take them to sell as "feeders" for something like 10 or a $1.00.
--
Carol....
"When did my wild oats turn to prunes and All Bran?"

Old 13-04-2004, 01:02 PM
pmwebdesigns

Carol they stopped taking feeder fish here at the petstores where I live. I
use to be able to take my fry in until last year.
They passed some law at the stores here and said people had to be a license
seller to take any live animal. :-(
Priss

Old 13-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Cichlidiot

pmwebdesigns wrote:
Carol they stopped taking feeder fish here at the petstores where I live. I
use to be able to take my fry in until last year.
They passed some law at the stores here and said people had to be a license
seller to take any live animal. :-(

An alternative to selling to a pet store is to cut out the middle man. If
there is a cichlid/aquarist group in your area, go there explaining your
situation and offering the fish for free to anyone who wants them. This
way there is no selling of live animals. You'll probably also come across
people starting ponds in an aquarium group, so you could give them some
seeder fish. Or post in rec.aquaria.* groups (marketplace, freshwater and
cichlids groups would probably be most appropriate) with the offer of free
fish.

Old 13-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nanceemo" wrote in message
I hate to be asking this question, but I need to get rid of many little
fishies. I've tried finding new homes, but no takers, and my pond looks

more
like a mud puddle than anything, and the population is increasing
exponentially. Is there a ralatively humane way to do this?

What are they and where are you?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 13-04-2004, 06:05 PM
~ Windsong ~

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
Carol they stopped taking feeder fish here at the petstores where I live.

use to be able to take my fry in until last year.
They passed some law at the stores here and said people had to be a

license
seller to take any live animal. :-(

=============================
If you're near a rural area some farmers are happy to take them for free for
their livestock ponds to keep the mosquitoes down. Golf courses with lakes
my take them.

Old 13-04-2004, 06:34 PM
pmwebdesigns

I have comets and Koi. I use to be able to give mine away to petstores until
they stopped it. Friends got some. Now I go to local parks that have lakes
and have slipped some in there. hehehehe Shhhhhhh
They don't conect to no rivers or anything. Mostly Catfish lakes.
I don't know about Nancy though. Original author.
Priss

Old 13-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
I have comets and Koi. I use to be able to give mine away to petstores

until
they stopped it. Friends got some. Now I go to local parks that have lakes
and have slipped some in there. hehehehe Shhhhhhh
They don't conect to no rivers or anything. Mostly Catfish lakes.
I don't know about Nancy though. Original author.

snip

holier then thou
In MD, we had someone slip a snakehead fish into a local lake. This species
was extremely invasive, and as such a decision was made to bomb the lake,
and kill everything in order to ensure the snakeheads were eliminated. Now I
am not suggesting Koi are equal to frankenfish like Snakeheads, but IMHO
releasing such a fish or a plant for that matter into a natural water way is
a dangerous and irresponsibly behavior. Priss...your are being very naughty
and potentially endangering those park ponds.
/holier then thou

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 13-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Janet

--

[...]

BV, I gotta agree with you here. There was a huge thread last fall on KoiVet
pertaining this. A homeowners association was desperate as a well meaning
homeowner threw some koi in the community pond several years earlier and
they had taken over. To the point they were destroying the pond and
endangering themselves. The Association had several weekends where they
allowed folks to come in and "rescue" what they could before killing off the
whole pond..... This is a huge No-No these days with everything we know
about balanced ecosystems and invasive species.
Janet in Niagara Falls

Old 14-04-2004, 02:06 PM
pmwebdesigns

Well I reckon this is a no win solution here. When you run out of pet
stores, friends..etc... and park lakes are a no no then humane euthanasia is
the only other option. To bad they haven't made a Fish Birth Control pill.
lol
Priss

Old 14-04-2004, 02:07 PM

Orfes.

"pmwebdesigns" wrote:
To bad they haven't made a Fish Birth Control pill.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Sean Dinh

I had a catfish. Feeder sized GF could not grow big enough to need BCP.

pmwebdesigns wrote:

Too bad they haven't made a Fish Birth Control pill.
lol
Priss

Old 14-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Uk essex, kirby

Where abouts are you?

i wouldn't mind more fry!!

pump gone - need fish info please - long sorry elaine Ponds 7 25-02-2007 02:07 PM
sick fish? (long-sorry) Cheryl Ponds 4 10-05-2004 03:06 PM
Killing Fish - Update Nanceemo Ponds 1 04-05-2004 02:08 AM
Killing fish ... sorry : ( reply from Nancy Nanceemo Ponds 6 18-04-2004 02:08 AM
Killing algae in fountain (no fish or plants) ? Folklore Ponds 4 14-06-2003 07:44 AM