Old 17-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Steele family

Default fish with disease

Hello there,
Just noticed a problem with 4 or 5 of our fish. We have about 20 fish
altogether in our pond. They are mixed colours ranging from plain gold,
plain white/cream, plain black and a mix of these colours.
The problem seems to be with the plain gold fish. They have creamy white
lumps on them. One fish has the largest lump, on top of his spine/tail area.
The others have smaller lumps, just under the skin surface. Some of these
fish have 3 or 4 of theses lumps. Any ideas? I have been on lots of fish
disease sites and can't find this condition. Are they tumours?
Advice please.
Regards,
Liz

Old 17-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Gale Pearce

Old 17-04-2004, 08:11 PM

in cold water, lymphocystis. http://www.glfc.org/tumor/figure12.htm
nothing can be done, not deadly.
it can also be patches of parasites. with these the fish will flash.
a little salt and clean water helps. Ingrid

"Steele family" wrote:

Hello there,
Just noticed a problem with 4 or 5 of our fish. We have about 20 fish
altogether in our pond. They are mixed colours ranging from plain gold,
plain white/cream, plain black and a mix of these colours.
The problem seems to be with the plain gold fish. They have creamy white
lumps on them. One fish has the largest lump, on top of his spine/tail area.
The others have smaller lumps, just under the skin surface. Some of these
fish have 3 or 4 of theses lumps. Any ideas? I have been on lots of fish
disease sites and can't find this condition. Are they tumours?
Advice please.
Regards,
Liz

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Lee B.

Carp pox? Usually look "waxy" and appear when the water is cool and
disappear once the water warms. It's harmless, albeit unsightly. In other
words, it won't hurt them.

Lee

Old 21-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Steele family

Thanks to the suggestions given for this problem. looked at the sites
mentioned and learnt a great deal about all sorts of fish diseases!
I went along to the local garden centre/aquarium and asked for advice too. I
think it is probably Carp Pox as Lee suggested. Was sold some pond salt to
help with water improvement and hopefully, fish that become more
stress-free!
We also did a ph reading as we do now and then. It was quite highly
alkaline, about 8/8.5.
Last year we had a similar reading and my other half talked to a 'fish'
expert who said he was surprised the fish were still alive with such a high
ph. Is this correct?
Why is our pond ph so high anyway? The pond plants have been looking sickly
over the last year or so, never looking like other people's from what I've
seen. It's not just seasonal as in the spring when the plants should be
putting on lots of growth, they don't. Lots of sludge and weed seems to
collect around the base of the plants.
The water lilies never seem to flower well either. Only things that seem ok
are the irises. Is that because they don't mind the ph so high?
regards,
Liz.

Old 21-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Nedra

Your pH value at 8 - 8.5 is perfect for Koi ... Fish expert is
flat wrong!

Nedra in Missouri

Old 21-04-2004, 11:07 PM
how

Hi,
Run from the 'expert' that said pH of 8.5 is too high. A stable reading
(constant when checked at dawn and again in the sun early PM) of 8.5 is fine
and needs no adjustment. If the numbers vary more than half a unit using the
above test then the KH (alkalinity) needs to be increased. Do this by adding
one half pound of common baking soda per 1000 gallons. Mix in a bucket and
add. Dose the pond and check the pH again the next day and do it again and
again IF needed. The pH will stabilize at approximately 8.4 which is fine.
Growing plants and rain will "use" up this buffering (KH) so check using the
morning and afternoon tests about once a month.
What is your fertilizing program for the plants?
HTH, how
To reply no "NEWS" is good.

[...]

HELP: Tomato Disease (Wilt disease?) vms North Carolina 4 18-07-2005 01:11 PM
fish with disease Steele family Ponds (alternative) 1 19-04-2004 03:03 AM
fish with disease Steele family Ponds 1 17-04-2004 03:30 PM
Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Jim Webster sci.agriculture 370 01-05-2003 10:44 AM
New thread. Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Lotus sci.agriculture 1 31-12-2002 03:29 PM