Old 19-04-2004, 04:04 AM
hviking

Default water falls?

I have a question. I have a water fall for my pond does that reoxgenate the
water?? Should I have more air directely into the pond? Its approximately
a 4' X 8' oval shaped pond about 3 feet deep in center. Just removed the
muck and now waiting for the water to become less green. Using a UV light
with a bioforce 500 filter.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 19-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Charles

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 02:24:49 GMT, "hviking"
wrote:

I have a question. I have a water fall for my pond does that reoxgenate the
water?? Should I have more air directely into the pond? Its approximately
a 4' X 8' oval shaped pond about 3 feet deep in center. Just removed the
muck and now waiting for the water to become less green. Using a UV light
with a bioforce 500 filter.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Here's a site that talks about it. I don't know how much is true, how
much is hype, but it is interesting.

http://www.malibuwater.com/

--

- Charles
-
Old 19-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"hviking" wrote in message
I have a question. I have a water fall for my pond does that reoxgenate

the
water?? Should I have more air directely into the pond? Its

approximately
a 4' X 8' oval shaped pond about 3 feet deep in center. Just removed the
muck and now waiting for the water to become less green. Using a UV light
with a bioforce 500 filter.

snip

Some general rules of thumb to keep in mind about aerating your water...

1. You can't have too much.
2. A bubbler, a waterfall, etc. does not add air to the water. The churning
of the water breaks the surface tension allowing air to infuse into the
water.
3. If your fish are not at the surface gasping like a 2 pack a day smoker.
You probably have plenty of aeration.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 PM

I have a foot long airstone putting oxygen into mine. my waterfall drops only about
2 feet and I dont think it is good enough. If the water is streaming down a series
of rocks where is splashes, then maybe it is oxygenating well enough.
an airstone also moves water from the bottom to the top creating a circulation
pattern that brings the mulm up. it is a side benefit. Ingrid

"hviking" wrote:

I have a question. I have a water fall for my pond does that reoxgenate the
water?? Should I have more air directely into the pond? Its approximately
a 4' X 8' oval shaped pond about 3 feet deep in center. Just removed the
muck and now waiting for the water to become less green. Using a UV light
with a bioforce 500 filter.

Thanks for any suggestions.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 19-04-2004, 06:07 PM
joe

On 4/18/04 7:24 PM, "hviking" wrote:

I have a question. I have a water fall for my pond does that reoxgenate the
water??

Yes

Should I have more air directely into the pond?

There was a big fight here about that last year. Some even use mathematical
analysis of the average bubble size in their arguments. I'd say do an oxygen
test and see how you are fairing. On the other hand, a bubbler certainly
won't hurt.

Joe

Old 19-04-2004, 08:09 PM

1. You can't have too much.
........ I agree
2. A bubbler, a waterfall, etc. does not add air to the water. The churning
of the water breaks the surface tension allowing air to infuse into the
water.

.......... yes, a bubbler does add air directly into the water as the bubble rises in
the water, AND a bubbler helps circulate the water from bottom to top AND bubblers
help blow of the toxic waste gases. LOL.. oxygen can get past the "surface tension"
of water. in calm water the rate of oxygen in = oxygen out at the surface.
diffusion is very slow without "mixing".
3. If your fish are not at the surface gasping like a 2 pack a day smoker.
You probably have plenty of aeration.

......... however, after a night of plants IN the water (like algae) using up all the
oxygen in a pond where the temp has risen over 75-80oF one may not see the fish
gasping and it WILL be the biggest fish die first.

Air bubblers are like self timing water meters.... better safe than sorry. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 10:24 PM
water falls joe Ponds 0 26-06-2003 03:56 PM
The Big Dig - Hightower Falls, Beam, & Drain installation Update Critical Popperian Ponds 3 16-06-2003 08:00 PM
Wisteria "Amethyst Falls" MAC North Carolina 1 29-04-2003 10:56 PM
Bio filtering without bio falls ? Folklore Ponds 5 24-04-2003 11:56 PM