Old 21-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Raj

Default Plants for a small pond with waterfall.

Hi folks,

I need some suggestions for a small pond I inherited with the house in
Northern NJ. It is roughtly 5x4 with severly rounded corners (to the
point that it is neither circular nor square), about 3' deep at the
center. There are no shelves for marginal plants. It has a about 7'
high waterfall. Currently I have the waterfall turned off as I need to
fix some leaks but the water gets pumped up into a bio filter at the
top and dumped back into the pond from a tube.
I have been battling pea soup syndrome for 3 years and am determined
to fix it the right way :-) I am planning to add under water and
floating plants and also some tadpoles, *maybe* a couple of small
fish. I added some anachris from my fish tank last week. I plan to get
another underwater plant this week. My big concern is to cover the
water surface as the sun beats down on the pond for a good part of the
day. I would *love* to add an hardy lilly but am having second
thoughts due to the waterfall. So am looking for some
recommendations.

TIA.

Raj
Old 21-04-2004, 10:05 PM
really ka30p

Water hyacinth and water lettuce will
cover a pond in no time flat once the
weather stays nice and warm.

Of course getting the stuff depends on where
you are. Since they are undesireable plants in the south getting ahold of some
is getting harder and harder. Up north we put in ours in May. One plant will
make about 10 plants in a season, ymmv.

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)
Old 21-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Raj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds like the perfect Lotus garden to me.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 21-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Nedra

Ah Yes!! Go for a Lotus Pond. Couple ( no more than 2)
of goldfish and you'll love the effect.

Nedra in Missouri

Lotus Pond: