Old 25-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Cheryl

Default Filter advice

Hi

Im after some advice about my filter. In the past couple of days we noticed
that the pond water level had dropped a good few inches and just put it down
to the sunny weather weve been having. Anyway we have noticed today that the
reason for the sudden drop is that the water is overflowing from the filter
box. Is this because its too small and that we need a bigger one?

any advice would be greatfully recieved

Thanks
Cheryl

Old 25-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Nedra

Hi Cheryl,

Not knowing the size of the filter in relation to your pond -
I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that you unhook
the filter and backflush it. Is it one that you can wash?

Nedra

Old 25-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Cheryl

Yeah it can be washed out which i was planning to do this week anyway. What
do u mean by backflush it? ( sorry im new to pond/fish keeping! )

Heres some pics:
www.geocities.com/me_pigley/photopagefish.html
www.geocities.com/me_pigley/fish2.html

Cheryl

ink.net...

Old 25-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Nedra

I don't have a filter that can be backflushed - but, it's one
that can be flushed out by opening a valve on or near the bottom
and drained that way.
If you were going to wash this weekend just do that and see if
it helps.

Nice pond - I know you enjoy it.

Nedra

Old 25-04-2004, 11:20 PM
joe

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it may just be there is more water
entering at any given time than is leaving. Is water pumped into the filter
or pumped out? If it pumps in try, reducing the inward flow. Getting a
larger box probably won't help since it too will reach the same point of too
much water.

Joe

Old 26-04-2004, 04:19 PM

either something is plugged up with gunk or
the outflow pipe is too small. it has to be much larger than the pipe going in.

"Cheryl" wrote:

Hi

Im after some advice about my filter. In the past couple of days we noticed
that the pond water level had dropped a good few inches and just put it down
to the sunny weather weve been having. Anyway we have noticed today that the
reason for the sudden drop is that the water is overflowing from the filter
box. Is this because its too small and that we need a bigger one?

any advice would be greatfully recieved

Thanks
Cheryl

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 26-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Lee B.

At this time of year, I find that I have to clean my skimmer box at LEAST
once a day, sometimes AM/PM to keep ahead of the algae buildup. If I don't I
starve my pump. I have a lot of mechanical media in my skimmer so that I
get a lot of the "stuff" before it even gets to my filters. But it gets
clogged. Of course, if you have a larger skimmer, you'll have more surface
are, and it won't need cleaning as frequently. Your choice! G

Lee

Old 27-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Remydog

Cheryl,

This is a bit long-winded, but you hopefully will find the information
useful.

Backflushing probably refers to a pressurized filter, like what you would
have with a swimming pool, as opposed to a gravity filter, which is what it
looks like you have. A gravity filter works by passing the water over the
filter media and letting it just naturally drain out through the media to a
drain back to the pond. To clean, you remove the media and run it under a
hose or through the dishwasher.

Pressurized filters force it through the media under pressure. Backflushing
refers to reversing the pressure on the filter media to allow the dirt to
release from the media. It would then be rinsed away somehow, either
manually or with some sort of diverter valve.

I recently upgraded my filter set up to a gravity filter from a submerged
in-line filter (a royal pain to keep clean). I chose the Fishmate with the
UV light. It looks somewhat similar to your filter. Water enters the top,
drops into a chamber with the UV light and then spills out of that into the
filter media and to the drains back to the falls.

My filter has three important features. First, the media does not cover the
entire surface of the bottom of the box. Instead, there is a corner cut out.
Why this is important is that once the filter media gunks up over time. As
this happens, it blocks the flow of water out. If it covered the entire
bottom, when it got completely gunked up, there would be no easy way for the
water to get out, so the box would fill up and spill over. With the corner
cut, there is still a place for the water to get out through the drains. The
water simply washes over the gunked up filter to the cut out corner and out
through the drains.

Second, the outlets are HUGE in comparison to the inlets. That way, no
matter how much water is entering the box, the exit capacity is more than
enough.

Third, the media is not on the bottom, but suspended above it by a plastic
tray filled with porous rocks. This means that there is room under the media
for the water to collect and reach the drains.

I can't believe how well this filter works. I was looking at pressurized
filters costing hundreds of dollars and up, but opted for this, which was
just a couple hundred and works fabulously.

The filter is rated for 1200 gallons per hour and I used to have a 1200 pump
feeding it. I just upgraded the pump to 3500 gallons, which I plan to divert
between a direct line to the falls and a slow stream through the filter.
However, I haven't yet been able to put all the new plumbing in place.

While I'm waiting to find the time, I put the outlet into the fishmate just
so I could see all the water at once coming down my falls. Even with nearly
3 times the water coming in to the filter, it is still draining out just as
fast as it enters.

Soooo, raise your media off the bottom, cut a corner a few inches back on
the far end away from the inlet and be sure you have big enough drains to
handle the outflow. And keep the filters clean.

Remydog

Old 27-04-2004, 03:03 AM
ThePondGuy

Sounds like you need a UVC (Ultra Violet Clarifier). A UVC uses Ultra
Violet light to kill algae blooms as the water passes through the UVC.

I have a small selection of UVC'c on my site if you are interested in
looking at what they are. Every pond owner should have one of these in
my opinion. It really helps the control of algae!

ThePondGuy
www.texaspondandgarden.com

Old 27-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Lee B.

Got one, it just isn't running right now while I'm establishing a "new
growth" of Koizyme biobugs. What I've got going right now isn't the
single-cell algae growth, it's a blue/green algae outbreak that I seem to
get every few years or so. In ponds that don't have the aeration I have, the
stuff floats on the surface like nasty little islands: but my aeration keeps
it from clumping (except when it gets conducted to my skimmer box! G) Once
the water gets to the high 70's/low 80's, it'll go away (next month????).

Lee

om...

Old 10-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Heather

Hi:

I was searching back thru' the older posts doing some research on filters.
Mine split open today. I have been using a homemade type.

Can you tell me who makes the Fishmate filter you describe below and the
cost?

Thanks,
Heather