Old 25-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Default minnows

I was just thinking about the veggie filter.
For those of you who have them, do you have any minnows in there to help
with the mosquitoe lava? And if you do, how do you keep them from being
spilled into the pond. I know of several people whos pond got over taken
with the minnows.
Also, how long do minnows live?
I some how got one in my midget pond 3 yrs ago and he's still in there.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Old 25-04-2003, 06:09 PM
K30a

Also, how long do minnows live?

Usually until they are eaten... the bullfrogs
ate all mine.

k30a
Old 25-04-2003, 06:33 PM
BenignVanilla

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message

I was just thinking about the veggie filter.
For those of you who have them, do you have any minnows in there to help
with the mosquitoe lava? And if you do, how do you keep them from being
spilled into the pond. I know of several people whos pond got over taken
with the minnows.
Also, how long do minnows live?
I some how got one in my midget pond 3 yrs ago and he's still in there.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Priss...I am without a doubt going to put minnows in my VF. As for keeping
them from being sucked into the filter...I plan to bury the intake in some
bio balls or other such obstacles...If figure if they navigate the
maze...then they are suicidal and there is nothing I can do.

BV.

Old 25-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Priscilla McCullough wrote:
I was just thinking about the veggie filter.
For those of you who have them, do you have any minnows in there to help
with the mosquitoe lava? And if you do, how do you keep them from being
spilled into the pond. I know of several people whos pond got over taken
with the minnows.
Also, how long do minnows live?
I some how got one in my midget pond 3 yrs ago and he's still in there.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

I always have a few in the veggie filter. When I do the
clean out in the Fall I move them to the pond. I have no
idea how old they are. In the lower pond they are kept
under control by the orfes. In the koi pond they are
present but not out of control. I've never had a problem
with mosquitoes.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-04-2003, 07:08 PM
K30a

Bonnie wrote I've never had a problem
with mosquitoes.

Speaking of....
I've got my lilies stored in two tubs waiting for pond cleaning (should be this
weekend) and I noticed some mosquito larvae in there!!!
Ran in the house, got my mosquito bits and bombs away! Sprinkled it around the
frog bog and all the deck ponds.

k30a

Old 25-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Nedra

I've been working out by the ponds all week and noticed
alot of skeeters. Seems like they are early this year ...
will have to be sure and get some mosquito spray for me...
I've already used Mosquito Dunks. Skeeters are
too thick this year. Guess I'll have to tranfer some 2 inch
goldfish into the veggie filter.

Nedra

Old 25-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
I've been working out by the ponds all week and noticed
alot of skeeters. Seems like they are early this year ...
will have to be sure and get some mosquito spray for me...
I've already used Mosquito Dunks. Skeeters are
too thick this year. Guess I'll have to tranfer some 2 inch
goldfish into the veggie filter.

Nedra

Well, I've been working around the pond and the old thing
that I found to late was the fact that the weed I was
pulling was ivy poison :-( I have been checking to make
sure there is no standing water for the mosquitoes.

Old 25-04-2003, 09:08 PM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
Nedra wrote:

I've been working out by the ponds all week and noticed
alot of skeeters. Seems like they are early this year ...
will have to be sure and get some mosquito spray for me...
I've already used Mosquito Dunks. Skeeters are
too thick this year. Guess I'll have to tranfer some 2 inch
goldfish into the veggie filter.

Nedra

Well, I've been working around the pond and the old thing that I found
to late was the fact that the weed I was pulling was ivy poison :-( I
have been checking to make sure there is no standing water for the
mosquitoes.

--
Ouuieeee hope you were wearing gloves I got into that stuff once
caught literaly with my pants down

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 26-04-2003, 01:20 AM
mad

Nedra

ivy poison :-(

--
"What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork".
Pearl Bailey

From: John Rutz
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:16:46 -0600
Subject: minnows

Ouuieeee hope you were wearing gloves I got into that stuff once
caught literaly with my pants down

that is _NOT_ i repeat _NOT_ good, john! pain!
mad

Old 26-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We have mosquito fish throughout. They DO go through the filter (in a g al
bucket on the bottom of the pond). No mosquitoes anywhere. Good in this
day of West Nile. Our tropicals (platties, swords, mollies) have to be
taken out (some of the 1,00+ that are there by the end of the season) and
kept indoors through the winter. The mosquito fish (gambusia) havdle the
winter just fine and are ready when the spring skeeters are.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

rosy red minnows julian doherty Ponds 12 21-10-2004 01:05 AM
Rosie red fathead minnows illegal Ka30P Ponds 3 31-05-2004 11:08 PM
golden shiner minnows Stephen M. Henning Ponds 2 27-04-2004 05:10 PM
Minnows-free to a good home Monica Ponds 6 07-09-2003 07:42 PM
Rosy Red Minnows Robert Liles Ponds 1 17-04-2003 12:08 AM