Old 28-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Claude Rogers

Default Red earred slider in a koi pond

Hi guys, my friend has a red earred slider he wants to relocate. I have
goldfish and koi about 7 inches long and lots of plants in my pond. Will
the turtle destroy everthing and kill my fish or is it going to fit in.....I
know I will need some sort of island for it.....just really don't want
everything tore up.....and don't want to be mean to the turtle either...does
anyone mix turtles and fish and plants in the same pond.....Thanks in
advance Claude

Old 29-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Jim

my friend has a red earred slider he wants to relocate.

According to Robyn's pond info site, the Red-Eared Slider is
omnivorous, in that it can cause damage to plants and animals (fish).
I'd turn down the offer....

Here's a link to Robyn's info on the Red-Eared Slider.

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtle2.htm#slider

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248
Old 29-04-2004, 02:06 AM
joe

Well, I guess if you didn't feed it other stuff it might turn to your
plants, but truly, as long as I have had him I've seen no visible damage to
any of my lotus or lilies. He may be munching on hyacinth or watercress, but
who'd notice.

Joe

Old 29-04-2004, 03:19 AM
AZKalEl

Hi Claude
I wouldn't do it. Turtles eat everything! They tear up your plants
and do eat fish if the can catch one. Mostly lazy, if food is
plentiful they won't eat the fish but they're not shy about nipping at
them. At the least your koi will have shredded fins and bruises, but
if the opportunity arrises, Shushi is served. Plus they make a holy
mess with all the waste. Not worth it. Most people have a seperate
turtle pond.
On the other hand, and OT, tortoises are the best! We have two desert
tortoise in an enclosure in the backyard and they are great. In
Arizona, if they are born in captivity they cannot be released into
the wild and need to be adopted. Ours are two years old and are great.
Since they are endangered, it is kind of cool to be responsible for
them. Of course, I have to keep them away from the pond too cause if
they fell in they'd sink like a rock!
Old 29-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

If you have somewhere to put the turtle if it does not work out, you can
resolve your problem empirically. Put it in...feed it...see what happens...

If you have a big pond with koi in it, the waste is not such an issue as the
koi themselves are really good at waste! I used to raise turtles in
aquaria. Moved them from hatchlings to 8 or 9 inches, where they could
stand on their hind legs and climb out if I let them. A single pump and
external filter handled the waste.

Good luck.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 29-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Glenn Lynn

I guess it is time for me to jump in here and add my two cents. With
few exceptions, no one has answered your question. It seems most
hominoid (monkeys, gorillas and humans) are not alike, or are all
birds or turtles. I am not going to be guilty of giving you advice
about something I am not qualified to answer. My advice is to use
your favorite search engine and research Red Earred Slider Turtles on
your own. I have two turtles, fish and plants and have absolutely no
problems. Notice I did not mention the species of turtles because I
don't want to influence your decision.

Good luck, Glenn

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:36:38 -0400, "Claude Rogers"
wrote:

Hi guys, my friend has a red earred slider he wants to relocate. I have
goldfish and koi about 7 inches long and lots of plants in my pond. Will
the turtle destroy everthing and kill my fish or is it going to fit in.....I
know I will need some sort of island for it.....just really don't want
everything tore up.....and don't want to be mean to the turtle either...does
anyone mix turtles and fish and plants in the same pond.....Thanks in
advance Claude

Red eared slider in a Koi pond joe Ponds 8 01-10-2011 08:24 AM
Red eared slider turtle Mainpin Ponds 9 16-01-2004 05:42 AM
OT? red eared slider johnrutz Ponds 5 30-07-2003 06:12 PM
RED EARED SLIDER Mainpin Ponds 4 07-06-2003 08:44 PM
Sick Red eared Slider Rhino Ponds 2 08-04-2003 07:56 PM