Old 05-05-2004, 12:03 AM
rasta

Default spawning and pond foam ?s

hey all

am new to the pond game. filter's been cycling for 28 days now. added
3 comets a day after spiking the filter (bioforce 1000 with a supreme
950 pump) with "ooze" from one of my fresh water tanks. added 2 more
comets 2 weeks ago. all is rockin' along fine 'til today.

found one of the comets going belly up. brought a jar of water to my
friend's fish store and all tests are fine.

the fish appeared to be "fat" and there are very small pockets of foam
amongst the plants. not being that familiar with goldfishes' mating
habits, could the mortality be a result of a female's birthing cylce?
i have read that the male "beats" the eggs out of the femamle.

the fish were about 4" when purchased, so maybe they're old enough to
spawn.

thanks to all who contribute to this group, have learned *lots*
reading through it.

positive vibes, rasta
http://rynholland.tripod.com/
http://rynholland.tripod.com/pond/id2.html
http://rynholland.tripod.com/pond/id1.html
Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Good for you, on starting slow. The female could have been a spawning
casuality alright. ~ jan