Old 07-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Remydog

Default Where to buy waffle filter foam

What sort of a place would sell pieces of the waffle filter foam that is
used in my Fishmate gravity filter? That filter has two densities, a medium
and fine. The idea of paying a premium at retail to purchase two pieces cut
to size irks me when I could probably buy five times as much for the price
and cut it to size myself. I'd love to find a place that may even have a
coarser variety and stack three of them together, as well as having extra
sets so I could run a set through the dishwasher while another takes over
the job.

--
Remydog

Check out Spamex at
www.spamex.com!
Any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

www.aquaticeco.com Is the place you want to check into. Search for filter
media, you can buy a sheet of all types including carbon matting. ~ jan

Old 10-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Remydog

Thanks. I was thinking more in terms of a supply house rather than a pond
specialty store on the assumption that they would have it for less money. I
just don't know what sort of a supply house I'd be looking for.

MSK
s.com...

Old 10-05-2004, 03:06 PM

it is a tricky proposition. the question is... is it fish safe. those blue furnace
filters that people suggest have been used and are safe. but we may not know if
suddenly they decide to add antimicrobials like they did to kitchen sponges a few
years back. those scrubbies by scotch (IIRC) were widely used by people with
aquariums. then scotch added antimicrobials altho they did put a disclaimer on the
back in itty bitty font. all of a sudden people were losing entire tanks full of
fish before the word went out.
the one place I wouldnt worry about fish safe is aquatic ecosystems cause they sell
to "the trade" ...people who raise fish for a living.
OTOH, stuff like nylon screening, nylon netting etc is not going to have
antimicrobials added. no point. so once they are rinsed off good, they are going to
be safe.
so my advice, be careful about using supply house stuff unless people on this list
have been using it for a while with no problems and then look the package over VERY
carefully to make sure there is no antimicrobials added.
Ingrid

"Remydog" wrote:
Thanks. I was thinking more in terms of a supply house rather than a pond
specialty store on the assumption that they would have it for less money. I
just don't know what sort of a supply house I'd be looking for.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Remydog

Points well taken. Aquatic Ecosystems lists several types of media, but not
the type that is currently in my Fishmate filter (unless it's listed
differently than what I know it as).

MSK

"Remydog" wrote:
Thanks. I was thinking more in terms of a supply house rather than a pond
specialty store on the assumption that they would have it for less money.

just don't know what sort of a supply house I'd be looking for.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 11-05-2004, 02:10 AM

get their hard copy catalog. I find it hard to find anything in their online one.
or just call em and describe what you got. may be that you can put something else in
your filter work just fine. Ingrid

"Remydog" wrote:

Points well taken. Aquatic Ecosystems lists several types of media, but not
the type that is currently in my Fishmate filter (unless it's listed
differently than what I know it as).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List