Old 08-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Hank

Default tadpole or toadpole???

I'm hoping someone can id my little friend.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...41113597XViBvs

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Mosfunland

I couldn't get the first link to load, but it looks like a toadlet in the
album.

What lovely pictures! Is that a hibiscus???? I guess here in Phila. I won't
see one that big....and the hummer baby is so cute. Thankyou for sharing!

Maureen
Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Hank

Cheryl & Maureen, The red flower is a Swamp Mallow or Hardy Hibiscus
"Lord Baltimore"
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/40923/
Maureen, I'm in NJ and it does very well here. Cut it to the
ground after first frost and mulch. What you see in photo is one
seasons growth in Aug. or Sept. Blooms all summer.
D.S., I thought they were toads .... I'm going to have a bunch of
them. Hank

Old 08-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Cheryl

Thanks for the name Hank. Im in the Uk. Do you think it would bloom here?
( being sooo sunny and that!)

Cheryl

Old 08-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Lisa

It resembles the hundreds of toadpoles in my pond right now. I had two
American Toads copulate in my pond and then leave their fry to grow on their
own. However, we started out with what looked like thousands of them and
now looks like only a couple hundred. Don't know if the fish ate them, or
they died off??

Lisa-Northern Indiana

Old 08-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Hank

Cheryl, If you follow the link for Plants Database there are many UK
members. I'm sure one of them will be able to help. I would think that
as long as you have a four or five month growing season that the
abundance of airborne moisture (my attempt at being nice to our
friends across the BIG pond) the swamp mallow would do very well.
After all the Lord and Lady Baltimore (red & white) are named after
royalty. ;-}

Lisa, I think they are toads also. At least that is what "The survey
says".

Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Mosfunland

I'm going to add it to my "have to find" list....Hardy Hibiscus, Lord
Baltimore.....

Maureen
Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 PM
jammer

Toad

Old 10-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Lydia

wrote:

I'm hoping someone can id my little friend.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...41113597XViBvs

How can you tell? What are the differences between toad- and tad-poles?

Thanks,
Lydia

Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Ka30P

Lydia wrote How can you tell? What are the differences between toad- and
tad-poles?

Frog taddies are dark brownish green under good light. Their tails, if you turn
them on their sides, are wavy and partly translucent. Looking at them in strong
sunlight helps.
Toad taddies are pitch black and they have whip like tails.
Taste wise frog taddies taste better than toad taddies but we don't recommend
this method of id-ing...

kathy :-)

Old 12-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Ka30P

Hal wrote
Been snacking in the pond again?
Taste wise frog taddies taste better than toad taddies but we don't

recommend
this method of id-ing...

chortle!
Did anyone see the report on Keith Oberman's MSNBC program about insect
cuisine???
I guess the classes are very popular! Now here's a money making proposal for
someone - cuisine from the backyard pond! Leeches on a clam shell, aquatic
snails (better than land version!), crispy fried dragonflies, string algae
noodles, bloodworm virgin marys, lotus tubers (a food crop in Asia), rolled
lily pads stuffed with lizard's tail (the plant not the reptile) and of course
pesky bullfrog legs, snapper turtle soup,
bbqed raccoon and roast heron.

hmmm, time to fix dinner....

kathy :-)

--Tadpole info needed-- WilsonKKW Ponds 5 08-07-2004 11:03 PM
My Amazing tadpole-- true short story+ a request WilsonKKW Ponds 4 09-06-2004 03:13 PM
My Amazing tadpole-- true short story+ a request WilsonKKW Ponds 0 09-06-2004 02:06 PM
Tadpole question Peggy Elliott Ponds 10 15-08-2003 11:14 PM
tadpole update Gail Futoran Ponds 13 07-07-2003 08:03 PM