Old 30-03-2005, 09:22 PM
nemo2

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:10:38 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:11:35 +0100, nemo2 wrote:

As the water temperature was above 55°F I feed the fish and they
seemed pretty hungary. I ws please to see that the chlorine in the
pond was 0 ppm as I have a slight leak in my stream and have had to
replace about 25% of the water over the last 2-3 weeks and the
chlorine in my tap water is 0.25 ppm; need a nice day to sort the leak
out.

At the moment the string algae seems to be under control, if anynody
has any suggestions how I can keep in that way I would apprciate them;
prvention being better than cure. I appreciate that I need to cure the
leak in the stream asap as adding fresh water will promote the growth
of string algae.

The new water at that rate isn't going to promote algae. You should get
some chlorine detox though, as constant exposure to minute amounts of
chlorine can be stressful over time on fish.

To keep the algae at bay, add more plants (if you haven't) and go easy on
the feeding. If the algae seems to be taking off, stop feeding. Fish are
little fertilizing machines. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Jan,

Thanks, Jan will follow your advice.

Regards

nemo2
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 PM
uvdoc

hi I live in Virginia and have had a real bad problem with algae also tried
every thing could not keep it away the warmer it gets the harder it is and
then the water will get green and cant see the fish so I purchased a really
good filtration system and also added a UV light they are expensive but
works wonderful no more problems all last year just thought I would share
that Jim in Virginia
"nemo2" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:08:24 +0000, nemo2 wrote:

Hi all,

snipped

However, I have a pond about ~600 gallons that is 21 months old

snipped

Regards

nemo2

Hi,

My pond is looking a bit better now having vacuumed it a couple of
times to remove as much debris as I could. There's no real sign of
string algae, but the water's a bit cloudy which should settle out in
the next few days.

I've taken some measurements and I don't believe that they are too
bad:

Water tempurature 60°F
pH 7.5
Nitrite 0 ppm (=mg/L)
Oxygen 12 ppm (=mg/L)
Total ammonia 0 ppm (=mg/L)
Chlorine 0 ppm (=mg/L)

Old 04-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Registered User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka30P
Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for *all* forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~kathy :-)
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your advice about fighting algae. I'm also going to try out the site you suggested