Old 12-05-2004, 09:03 PM
steven downie

Default algae

just built a new pond about one month old now,im now getting green algae i
think! floating around the edegs of the pond not alot but some.Is this
normal? im running a uv filter which i thought was meant to stop this,the
pond has six fish and some plants and is 7*5ft .

Old 12-05-2004, 11:14 PM
joe

Congrats on the pond and welcome.

The algae along the edge is probably string algae. Your UV filter will keep
your water from turning green, as the water passes through the filter. This
will not dissuade the string algae as it doesn't go through the filter.

Joe

Old 13-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Ka30P

Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for *all* forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk and
convert fishy ammonia waste for fish health.
~ build a veggie filter, to run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
many rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$.
~ patience and time ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 13-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

If your pond is big enough for koi, they eat string algae for lunch. Ours
swimm up onto the plan tubs, in 2" of water!, to get string algae. It can
grow in one of our slow vegie filters, but does not survive in the main
pond.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 16-03-2005, 11:35 PM
~Roy~

Well I keep my 1.65 mil gal natural pond pretty well free of algae
with baraclear-80 which is nothing more than common alum bonded with
bentonite clay in pellet form. I use powdered alum in my holding tanks
and outside aquariums with good results. It will make the water cloudy
since its a powder, but it settles out within a few hours just fine.
The pelleted form Baraclear does not cloud water and sinks right to
the bottom, but I did not have sufficient amount of pelleted form on
hand so I tried just the plain powdered alum and it works just fine,
except for initial clouding. And contrary to what you hear alum is not
harmfull to fish any more than any thing else is if its used in the
proper proportions. I would think you can buy alum in any pharmacy in
the UK or anywhere else in the world.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:08:24 +0000, nemo2 wrote:

===Hi all,
===
===Sorry to see religous types are trying to take over this newsgroup,
===but I hope all true ponders will continue to post.
===
===However, I have a pond about ~600 gallons that is 21 months old, built
===in July 2003. In 2003 I didn't have any problems , but in 2004 I was
===plagued with what I believe was string algea. I tried some chemical
===cures, but they didn't really work. Now early 2005 when the
===temperatures are still fairly low (UK temps 5 - 10 degrees C) I seem
===to have an algea problem developing. I don't really want to go through
===the problems I had last year so I'm considering 2 options, the first
===is UV light and the second is barley straw (where can you buy it in
===UK?)
===
===Pond guessitmated (I know there's no such word) to be about 600-700
===gallons, 12 green tench and 25 golden rudd. At least I hope as I have
===a heron visit several times a week, but I believe the pond is designed
===to protect the fish, i.e. no shallow banks and over 3 foot deep in the
===middle.
===
===Any suggestions appreciated.
===
===Regards
===
===nemo2

Old 17-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Yorkshire Pudding

[...]

Got an approximately 100 gallon pond, currentlly inhabited by 2
fantails and 2 golden tench, over the last couple of days 6 "pairs" of
frogs have been seen. But fortunately as yet I haven't had an
infestation of hypocritical, child murdering Jehovahs Witnesses.
They don't seem to come to my door for some strange reason, couldn't
possibly be anything to do with me flashing my blood/organ donor card
at them when they call could it?

Howard
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/otters/Fish.htm

ICQ: 321716099
Old 17-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Benign Vanilla

"~Roy~" wrote in message
Well I keep my 1.65 mil gal natural pond

SNIP

YOUR WHAT!?!??!?!?!?

HOW MANY GALLONS?

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 17-03-2005, 02:28 PM
~Roy~

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:57:52 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

===
==="~Roy~" wrote in message
et...
=== Your what what?????????????????
===
=== Thats what I said. 1.65 MILLION GALLONS is what my pond
=== contains.............sounds like a lot of water but its not a lot for
=== the average sized natural ponds normally found around here.
===
===snip
===
===In my book, you gots you a lake.
===
===How many acres is it? Depth? How do you filter it?

Depth varies up to 21+ feet deep. its not filtered, just
aerated.........covers better than 1 acre but it varies from time to
time as I am always increasing my ponds boundaries and changing
things. Banks range from tapering from 0" to banks that just drop off
down to 5' of more. I just finished raiseing the pond level an
additional 10 inches, which in turn changes its boundaries yet again.
Someday, I'll get it where I want it.

Old 17-03-2005, 09:42 PM
nemo2

On 16 Mar 2005 15:23:26 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

Hi Nemo,

You are having single cell algae problems, green
water?

You may have too many fish.
I looked up green tench and golden rudd online and
the tench look like they get large, not sure of the
rudd. Larger fish provide more fish waste for the algae
to feed upon.

But I would
- reduce the number of fish
- clean the pond of any muck, dead plants, if needed
- build a filter that runs the water through plants

I would also consider an UltraViolet filter if you can
afford it. (I don't have one but others really like them)
They won't work on string algae though.

I've heard of barley straw, but also never tried it.

My keys to clear water are low fish stock, low fish
feeding and plant filtering.

Good luck!
kathy

Hi Kathy,

You may be right, but they only small at the moment and I would like
to keep them as you don't see them too often especially the tench. My
brother has a slightly larger pond, but a lot more golden rudd (no
tench) and he hasn't got the same problem. Neverless I will bear your
comment in mine and try it if all else fails.

Regards

nemo2

Old 18-03-2005, 01:10 AM
~Roy~

Well I would have at one time, however now, with a few individuals who
are notorious to email bombs and stirring up- problems I prefer to not
advertise my site since the last episode I had with one certain
individual and threatening emails.......If its worth your trouble you
can always do a google search back around sept 04 or so and you can
probably find a link to it, but like I said, at the present time, I
prefer not to post any links.

If there is an email contact on your website, I'll send you a link to
my website that way..........

Its nothing fancy, just a hole with lots of water and a few dodads
around.....hopefully this year with all the Iris and other plants I
have in it will look a lot better than it has in years past.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:10:19 +0000, Yorkshire Pudding wrote:

===On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:16:40 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:
===
===
==="~Roy~" wrote in message
et...
=== Well I keep my 1.65 mil gal natural pond
===SNIP
===
===
===YOUR WHAT!?!??!?!?!?
===
===HOW MANY GALLONS?
===
===Nah, I fink you've got it wrong, it is in fact a 1.65 millilitre pond,
===probably occupied by amoeba, rotifers and other single celled
===organisms, best viewed in the early evening under the 300 times
===magnification of a microscope. Occaisional visitors to the pond
===include flatworms and kippers.
===Sorry for the sarcasm, no offence intended.
===Seriously though, would there be any chance of a link to some photos
===please.
===
===TIA

Old 19-03-2005, 07:01 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I meant mention that when I measure the water quality there's nothing
that appears to be out of order (not measured it since last summer).

What tests are you performing and what are the results? Besides ammonia &
nitrite, what's the pH and KH? Water temp? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-03-2005, 09:18 PM
nemo2

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:01:57 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

I meant mention that when I measure the water quality there's nothing
that appears to be out of order (not measured it since last summer).

What tests are you performing and what are the results? Besides ammonia &
nitrite, what's the pH and KH? Water temp? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Hi Jan,

I haven't run a test this year yet, but when I was having the problem
last year pH was neutral and absolutely no trace of anything. I
brought a pond vac today gave the pond a good clean so I let it settle
and then run a water test and post the results here.

Not sure what the water temperature is, but I was getting some stones
from the bottom of the pond and my arm was freezing. Seriously, I'm in
the UK and the air temperature has been in the high 60's degrees F for
the last couple of days, but before the week before the pond was
frozen. I did see my fish swimming around which was nice as I said
earlier that a heron is a frequent visitor.

regards

nemo2

Old 27-03-2005, 06:11 PM
nemo2

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:08:24 +0000, nemo2 wrote:

Hi all,

snipped

However, I have a pond about ~600 gallons that is 21 months old

snipped

Regards

nemo2

Hi,

My pond is looking a bit better now having vacuumed it a couple of
times to remove as much debris as I could. There's no real sign of
string algae, but the water's a bit cloudy which should settle out in
the next few days.

I've taken some measurements and I don't believe that they are too
bad:

Water tempurature 60°F
pH 7.5
Nitrite 0 ppm (=mg/L)
Oxygen 12 ppm (=mg/L)
Total ammonia 0 ppm (=mg/L)
Chlorine 0 ppm (=mg/L)

As the water temperature was above 55°F I feed the fish and they
seemed pretty hungary. I ws please to see that the chlorine in the
pond was 0 ppm as I have a slight leak in my stream and have had to
replace about 25% of the water over the last 2-3 weeks and the
chlorine in my tap water is 0.25 ppm; need a nice day to sort the leak
out.

At the moment the string algae seems to be under control, if anynody
has any suggestions how I can keep in that way I would apprciate them;
prvention being better than cure. I appreciate that I need to cure the
leak in the stream asap as adding fresh water will promote the growth
of string algae.

Regards

nemo2
Old 30-03-2005, 05:10 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:11:35 +0100, nemo2 wrote:

As the water temperature was above 55°F I feed the fish and they
seemed pretty hungary. I ws please to see that the chlorine in the
pond was 0 ppm as I have a slight leak in my stream and have had to
replace about 25% of the water over the last 2-3 weeks and the
chlorine in my tap water is 0.25 ppm; need a nice day to sort the leak
out.

At the moment the string algae seems to be under control, if anynody
has any suggestions how I can keep in that way I would apprciate them;
prvention being better than cure. I appreciate that I need to cure the
leak in the stream asap as adding fresh water will promote the growth
of string algae.

The new water at that rate isn't going to promote algae. You should get
some chlorine detox though, as constant exposure to minute amounts of
chlorine can be stressful over time on fish.

To keep the algae at bay, add more plants (if you haven't) and go easy on
the feeding. If the algae seems to be taking off, stop feeding. Fish are
little fertilizing machines. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~