Old 16-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Steve and Lisa

Default Heron Strikes here......

This morning I looked out the back door and 10 feet away stood a Blue Heron.
Originally could only find one fish.....now I see two. Had six before his
visit......hoping more show up.

I've since ran out to Lowes and Home Depot.....found a net at Home Depot for
$6.90. Hard lesson to learn, NET IT. (Even if you think your 1000 gallon
pond won't attract the Great Blue Heron........it will.)

Of course hubby is saying I told you so.......he told me to net it....said
they'd get eaten.....now he's right......damn I hate that!

Lisa

Old 16-05-2004, 05:07 PM
k conover

Yep, I moved here (Atlanta) from San Diego to a house with a 1200 gallon
pond and couldn't believe it when I looked out one morning and saw a huge
heron standing over my pond--thought I was seeing things!!! Of course,
there are probably similar birds in San Diego but never had a pond there!
So went out and immediately got a net, which has definitely helped not only
with predators but leaves and the lovely pollen flower tops that cover
everything this time of year...
Kirsten

Old 17-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

How big is your net?

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 17-05-2004, 08:07 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
This morning I looked out the back door and 10 feet away stood a Blue

Heron.
Originally could only find one fish.....now I see two. Had six before his
visit......hoping more show up.

I've since ran out to Lowes and Home Depot.....found a net at Home Depot

for
$6.90. Hard lesson to learn, NET IT. (Even if you think your 1000 gallon
pond won't attract the Great Blue Heron........it will.)

Of course hubby is saying I told you so.......he told me to net it....said
they'd get eaten.....now he's right......damn I hate that!

==================================
The *&^%$#@ herons went after the fish in my 150 gallon kiddy pools. I had
to net them as well as the two ponds. They will also fish in those water
filled barrels.
--
Carol....
"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be."

Old 17-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Steve and Lisa

Water is green right now...yep.

Lisa

Old 17-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Steve and Lisa

Well it's the morning after.....we are quite lucky the only one who was
eaten (he/she probably does not feel lucky) is the smaller of the two Calico
Fantails.

Question: The five remaining are staying low......will they start swimming
about like before or are they traumatized for life now?? The two 3 inch
Butterfly Koi were so happy and active zipping around all over......now they
all seem to just hang down near the bottom.

Lisa

Old 17-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Lieutenant Kizhe Katson

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message ...
Well it's the morning after.....we are quite lucky the only one who was
eaten (he/she probably does not feel lucky) is the smaller of the two Calico
Fantails.

Question: The five remaining are staying low......will they start swimming
about like before or are they traumatized for life now?? The two 3 inch
Butterfly Koi were so happy and active zipping around all over......now they
all seem to just hang down near the bottom.

The only time we've actually seen a heron at our pond (~2 years back,
IIRC), we saw *no* fish at all for about two days. We thought he'd
eaten the lot. Then they started to show up again -- fortunately,
that year we had an extensive water hyac patch, and I think that's
where they all hid. In the end, we think he may have gotten one or
two of the comets, but none that we would specifically recognize as
missing. The survivors recovered from their fright in about a week.

I happened to have a bunch of scraps of 4" black ABS pipe, so I tossed
those in to provide hiding places. Then just the other weekend, we
found and bought a thing called a "Heron Scarem". It's a styrofoam
pyramid with mirror decals on it, that you float in the middle of the
pond. Supposedly, the herons don't like the reflections that come off
it.

Our pond is too enclosed by tree and house to be very attractive to
herons -- I think they prefer open spaces.

-- Kizhé
Old 18-05-2004, 12:08 AM
dkat

LOL

I have a 7X7' pond... maybe 2' deep. We have watched large herons perched
in the baby oak tree above the pond watching for fish. We find ourselves
torn between wanting to protect my fish and wanting to enjoy watching the
ridiculous site of a bird too large for the branch it is sitting on perched
above a pond too small for it to have a good wade in. I have plastic crates
that sit upside down in the bottom of my pond which the fish hide in when
predators show up. Kingfisher could care less since they scoop up the
foolish fish that swims up to the top but I have only seen one of those in
the last decade. It watched me watch it from 6' away for a good 5 minutes
before it dove down and took off with my favorite feeder gold fish......

Old 18-05-2004, 04:12 PM

herons have evolved for millions of years to "see" thru green water.
Ingrid

Was your water green? Just wondering if green water helps...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 18-05-2004, 04:13 PM

nothing frightens a hungry heron for long. there is no such thing as a too enclosed
space for herons to fish. lots of people are amazed to find em standing right
outside their windows. trees are where herons roost, so trees are ideal for them.
the only way to keep em out FOR SURE is netting. they didnt spend millions of years
evolving to deal with netting. Ingrid

I happened to have a bunch of scraps of 4" black ABS pipe, so I tossed
those in to provide hiding places. Then just the other weekend, we
found and bought a thing called a "Heron Scarem". It's a styrofoam
pyramid with mirror decals on it, that you float in the middle of the
pond. Supposedly, the herons don't like the reflections that come off
it.

Our pond is too enclosed by tree and house to be very attractive to
herons -- I think they prefer open spaces.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 19-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Gary

We had a heron attack about a week ago. Gradually, the survivors have
recovered and are returning to their normal behavior of coming up to
check me out when I approach, and they have started eating again.
Also, I've noticed that they are mating, so maybe I'll get some fry to
replace the fish that the heron had for lunch.
Gary