Old 19-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Iguana

Default Any Way to "Do Away" with Fish Eggs

Yup, the fish are spawning again, figure another 60+ babies due sometime
soon in my way too small pond.

Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in the pond
to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

Old 20-05-2004, 01:08 AM
George

"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Yup, the fish are spawning again, figure another 60+ babies due sometime
soon in my way too small pond.

Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in the pond
to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

Get rid of one of the sexes.

Old 20-05-2004, 07:02 AM
THE Old Man

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:38:05 -0400, "George"
wrote:

"Iguana" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Yup, the fish are spawning again, figure another 60+ babies due sometime
soon in my way too small pond.

Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in the pond
to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

Get rid of one of the sexes.

That might work if you are not in Mass. Isn't that the state with
same sex marriages?

BAD!, DON! BAD!!!

Donald From Mississippi.
I plan to live to be 100.
So far so good.
Old 20-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Iguana

George wrote:
"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Yup, the fish are spawning again, figure another 60+ babies due
sometime soon in my way too small pond.

Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in
the pond to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

Get rid of one of the sexes.

Like I can tell the sex of fish apart! g

Old 20-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Iguana

I wouldn't know where to look for the eggs, and my pond isn't that clear in
the first place...

Nedra wrote:
Cold hearted woman that I am!! I just scoop the eggs out on
the lawn with nary a thought ... No, It isn't abortion.
They're fish eggs for cryin-out-loud.
Alot lower on the scale than say, cavier.

Nedra

"joe" wrote in message
I have mosquito fish who do that. The problem is, of course, then
you have mosquito fish

Joe

Old 20-05-2004, 02:04 PM
George

"Iguana" wrote in message
news
George wrote:
"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Yup, the fish are spawning again, figure another 60+ babies due
sometime soon in my way too small pond.

Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in
the pond to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

Get rid of one of the sexes.

Like I can tell the sex of fish apart! g

Watch their behavior. With goldfish, the fat ones are usually females. This
can be confirmed when they are about to lay eggs, because all the skinny ones
(usually the males) will chase them all over the place trying to mate with them.

Old 20-05-2004, 02:05 PM
George

"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I wouldn't know where to look for the eggs, and my pond isn't that clear in
the first place...

Look around rocks, and between rocks, and around and on plantings, especially
thick growth where they can hide the eggs.

Old 20-05-2004, 05:19 PM

get thee a few Orfes. they will clean up eggs and fry nicely. Ingrid

"Iguana" wrote:
Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in the pond
to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 20-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Andy Hill

"Iguana" wrote:
Yup, the fish are spawning again, figure another 60+ babies due sometime
soon in my way too small pond.

Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in the pond
to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

A Golden Orfe (or multiple ones of the same sex). Don't know if they'll eat the
eggs, but they'll do a serious job of thinning the fry.
Old 20-05-2004, 09:03 PM
George

wrote in message
get thee a few Orfes. they will clean up eggs and fry nicely. Ingrid

That's the name. I couldn't remember the name when I listed my fish in another
post. I have one of those, and I also have a couple of shubukins (I hope I
spelled that right). And you are right about the Orfes. Mine follows my big
female goldfish around. She has been spawning for the past 6 weeks, and the
Orfes just loves an easy meal.

"Iguana" wrote:
Is there a "Day After Pill" solution available that can be put in the pond
to kill the eggs, but leave the fish and plants unharmed?

Would be nice to have...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 21-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Iguana

George wrote:
"Iguana" wrote in message
Get rid of one of the sexes.

Like I can tell the sex of fish apart! g

Watch their behavior. With goldfish, the fat ones are usually
females. This can be confirmed when they are about to lay eggs,
because all the skinny ones (usually the males) will chase them all
over the place trying to mate with them.

Yup, did work that out. Poor females look and act absolutely exhausted!

Old 21-05-2004, 11:17 PM
George

"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
George wrote:
"Iguana" wrote in message
Get rid of one of the sexes.

Like I can tell the sex of fish apart! g

Watch their behavior. With goldfish, the fat ones are usually
females. This can be confirmed when they are about to lay eggs,
because all the skinny ones (usually the males) will chase them all
over the place trying to mate with them.

Yup, did work that out. Poor females look and act absolutely exhausted!

Unless you have a whole lot of males, they will get over it.