Old 01-06-2004, 07:07 PM
jOE

Default filtering a pond with a submersibble pump ?

Is there a way to filter a pond with a submersibble pump ?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:04 PM
GoldLexus

We have a submersible pump....Our filter is external so the answer is yes.
The pump pushs the water thru' the filter... from the filter up a 14ft
incline to the top of the waterfall...down the watefall back into the pond.
It is the cycle of life for pond water

Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Ron, KC4YOY

That's what I use for my 1600 gallon pond.
The pump is inside a 5 gallon bucket filled with lava rock
the water flows through the lava rock to the pump and
then to the veggie filter and back into the pond.
My water is crystal clear to the bottom 4 feet deep.
You can see photos here,
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/Cement_Pond1.html

Ron

C.R."Ron"Lawrence KC4YOY
Antique Radio Collector & Historian
NCI-5445

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)

Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com
Clough-Brengle equipment web page
http://CloughBrengle.homestead.com
CC-AWA Web Page,
http://www.cc-awa.org

Old 01-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"jOE" wrote in message
Is there a way to filter a pond with a submersibble pump ?

Currently, I have two.

One pump pumps water from a small pond up to a larger pond that is used as a
Veggie Filter. A bottom drain gravity feeds the first pool, as the pump
draws from it. The water then runs back via a stream to the main pond. I get
good dwell time, as well aeration.

My second pump is a temporary, spring time measure. It's a small 200gph pump
that is in a filter box sitting in the shallows of the main pond. Currently
I have just bioballs in there, but I plan to add some foam as well. I am
using this to try and assist in clearing the suspended algae from the water.
The output of this pump is just a hose lieing on a rock, splashing into the
pond. More aeration.

BV.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:13 AM
jOE

Can anyone reccomend a site that shows an easy way to make a vegy
filter ?

Old 02-06-2004, 03:17 AM
steve

"jOE" wrote in message
Is there a way to filter a pond with a submersibble pump ?

I have a pondmaster 700 gallon pump submersed with their 12" X 12" X
3"? intake that has mats in it. It is nice and skinny and it does
some mechanical filtration and is convenient and light enough so you
can pull it out with the pump cord attached to it and and easily hose
down the mats. I wish I had gone for the 12" X 20" intake box with a
bigger pump (you can have more than one of their skinny intake boxes
attached to your pump). The outflow goes to a large Tetra PF green
keg looking sort of thing. I am fairly pleased with the ease of use
cleaning/features with the pondmaster stuff but their pump gph output
is over rated I think.

steve
Old 02-06-2004, 06:04 AM
George

"jOE" wrote in message
Is there a way to filter a pond with a submersibble pump ?

I built my filter with the submersible inside it near the top. The filter is
deep enough in the pond so that the pump never emerges from the water, which can
cause it to cavitate. So it pulls the water into the filter instead of pushing
it. Because the pump only pumps filtered water, it rarely, if ever, needs
cleaning. I also have a prefilter connected to the inlet side of the main
filter. It is the only thing that gets cleaned regularly (this time of year,
that would be about once a month, but in early spring when the algae is heavier,
it gets cleaned about once a week. I built it that way because my main filter
is inside the pond, beneath the waterfall. The water is crystal clear. The
pump is a 1400 gph flotec submersible.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Snooze

simple, half a whiskey barrel, toss hose in, toss in plants, send drain back
to pond. Then buy a case of beer for BV

Old 02-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Just Me \Koi\

should that be a case of Guinness stout for JMK?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

. com...

Old 03-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
news
should that be a case of Guinness stout for JMK?
snip

Ya know ya befriend someone and then they instantly take up drinking your
patent proceeds. *sheesh*

BV.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

"jOE" wrote in message
Can anyone reccomend a site that shows an easy way to make a vegy
filter ?

snip

http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/D...rs/default.asp

and

http://www.iheartmypond.com/Filtration/default.asp

BV.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:08 PM

I use in my pond a small rectangular basket from the Dollar Store or
Walmart. It is about 4 times larger than my pump. I put the pump in that,
then put the whole setup into a zippable nylon mesh laundry bag (about a
buck from the dollar store.) I don't think it clogged up once last year.
Outlet from the pump goes to my 60 gallon veggie/biofilter. Mike