Old 21-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Destroyallx

Default koi eating plants

i recently put in about 5 hyacinth in my pond and it seems that the koi..
LOVE to chew on them.. they grab on to the roots and drag it around.. its
pretty funny.. but i paid for these! ha... is there any thing i should do
about this? feed them more...its a fairly new pond so there probably isnt
much for them to eat naturally besides what i feed them....
thx

Old 21-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Bonnie

Destroyallx wrote:
i recently put in about 5 hyacinth in my pond and it seems that the koi..
LOVE to chew on them.. they grab on to the roots and drag it around.. its
pretty funny.. but i paid for these! ha... is there any thing i should do
about this? feed them more...its a fairly new pond so there probably isnt
much for them to eat naturally besides what i feed them....
thx

Either remove the water hyacinth or remove the koi. If they
stay together in the pond the koi will definitely eat the
roots of the water hyacinth. That's what koi do.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 21-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Congrats on having healthy vibrant Koi. There is no WH that will survive
healthy Koi. Unless you overwhelm the Koi with a lot of WH

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 23-05-2004, 10:03 AM
jammer

On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:01:34 GMT, "Destroyallx"
wrote:

i recently put in about 5 hyacinth in my pond and it seems that the

koi..
LOVE to chew on them.. they grab on to the roots and drag it around..

its
pretty funny.. but i paid for these! ha... is there any thing i

should do
about this? feed them more...its a fairly new pond so there probably

isnt
much for them to eat naturally besides what i feed them....
thx

Is there some way to net the roots or use a basket and some rocks?

Old 23-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Steve and Lisa

We just put in 12 WH.......and all the fish are nibbling at the roots...so I
take it they all are healthy? I figured they liked it why stop them.
......I like my veggies too! Tried to get some water lettuce, but where we
shop all they had was nasty condition big ones or healthy ones the size of
kiwis......for 3.50 a piece.....didn't feel they were worth it.....the WH
are 5.00 a piece and are much larger.

Lisa

Old 24-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Nedra

I buy Water Hyacinths specifically for my koi to nibble on
I know ... I'm crazy, but hey, they adore them as a snack.
I didn't think I'd keep track of the amount of money the little
rascals are costing me ... but, so far, the total is $74.
They cost $2.00 a piece and some have 2 or 3 daughters
attached .... so that is a lot of WH!!

Note to Joe ... the ones you sent me are decorating the VF.
I've decided to keep hands off those.

Nedra

Old 24-05-2004, 05:08 PM
joe

Good! Those California hyacinth are especially sensitive.

Joe

Old 24-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Steve and Lisa

Nedra......where do you find them for $2 a piece! Lily Blooms has them (It's
the closest local pond supplier here).....$5 each, 6 for $20, 10 for $30 and
100 for $200.....so unless I want to buy 100 I cannot get them for $2 a
piece!!

Lisa
ink.net...

Old 24-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Nedra

Lisa, I buy them at Best of Nature, my LPS. Sounds to me like
Lily Blooms is really making a profit!
I'm near St. Louis, Missouri .... if that helps!

Nedra

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
Nedra......where do you find them for $2 a piece! Lily Blooms has them

(It's
the closest local pond supplier here).....$5 each, 6 for $20, 10 for $30

and
100 for $200.....so unless I want to buy 100 I cannot get them for $2 a
piece!!

Lisa
ink.net...

Old 24-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Steve and Lisa

Nedra, I thought possibly they were a bit high......but not sure where else
to get them from. Their water lettuce was so small .....they were not worth
the $3.50 each price (only kiwi sized) I think we need a better supplier in
this area.

Lisa
"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Lisa, I buy them at Best of Nature, my LPS. Sounds to me like
Lily Blooms is really making a profit!
I'm near St. Louis, Missouri .... if that helps!

Nedra

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
Nedra......where do you find them for $2 a piece! Lily Blooms has them

(It's
the closest local pond supplier here).....$5 each, 6 for $20, 10 for $30

and
100 for $200.....so unless I want to buy 100 I cannot get them for $2 a
piece!!

Lisa
ink.net...

Old 25-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Cynthia Ream

i recently put in about 5 hyacinth in my pond and it seems that the koi..
LOVE to chew on them.. they grab on to the roots and drag it around.. its
pretty funny.. but i paid for these! ha... is there any thing i should do
about this? feed them more...its a fairly new pond so there probably isnt
much for them to eat naturally besides what i feed them....
thx

Hi all,
I've been a lurker on here for several years and I first want to say THANK
YOU for all the wonderful advice I have gotten. You saved me a lot of
aggrivation when I had problems. I do have a solution for the hyacinth
problem. I also had fish that just distroyed my plants and clogged the pump.
I can't remember where I read this idea but here is what I do. I took 2
pieces of foam pipe insulation ( foam tubes that slip over pipes, 3-4'
lengths) and hot glued the ends together. Then I took nylon window screen
(that you by in a roll ) and rolled it around the pipe insulation and
stitched it on with monofilliment or fishing line. Make sure to let the
screen loose so that it bows down on the inside of the ring. Then I just let
it float on the pond at it's leasure or you can take a piece of twine or
string and anchor it fast to the edge somewhere to keep it stationary. I use
this for my hyacinths and water celery and parrots feather.
Here are some pictures of my ponds and the rings.
http://community.webshots.com/user/cynthia9041
Cynthia
zone 5 Central Pennsylvania

Old 25-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Ka30P

Hi Cynthia,

Glad to *see* you!
Enjoyed your pond pictures, looks like
a loverly place to spend the day.

kathy :-)
Old 26-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
Nedra......where do you find them for $2 a piece! Lily Blooms has them

(It's
the closest local pond supplier here).....$5 each, 6 for $20, 10 for $30

and
100 for $200.....so unless I want to buy 100 I cannot get them for $2 a
piece!!

snip

We have a gazillion nursery's around my area (ellicott city, MD) but I have
found WH in only one, and they were charging $5.00.

BV.

So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi Tristan Ponds 66 11-01-2007 06:03 PM
Koi eating a snake JoeT Ponds 5 25-05-2006 04:58 AM
How many koi is too many koi Carl Beyer Ponds 16 17-08-2003 12:04 AM
koi and plants? depends on the pond size.... and the koi's diet... adavisus Ponds 3 07-08-2003 08:22 AM
Koi not eating N. Zitney Ponds (alternative) 2 06-05-2003 02:21 AM