Old 30-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Rodney Pont

Default Salt and tadpoles (and a long explanation)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 03:13:40 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

MediKoi is an antibotic food, if your fish are eating. TriCide Neo is a dip
that will take care of the problem if they're not.

I came across MediKoi while searching and it sounds as though it would
be ideal but it's not available for sale in the UK. The only antibiotic
that is legal for hobbyists is oxolinic acid but it's been abused so
much that it's no longer very effective and we haven't been able to
find anyone who supplies it.

Our vet has tried to get us some nitrofurazone/nitrofural because it is
absorbed from the water but her suppliers don't carry it. She has
suggested somewhere to try but they don't do web sales so it will have
to wait until after the holiday weekend.

You mentioned sediment in one post and that is where many bad bacterias
like to hang out, so I hope you removed as much as possible. A bad-bacteria
controller that we use here is called KoiZyme. See if you can find these
products in your area or a UK based internet pond shop.

Our Fish Mate pressurised filter just doesn't seem to be removing what
it should, even tadpoles manage to get through it. It's rated at 2,500
to 7000 litres/hour and we are pushing 3,000 through it so it should be
working. There is just a thin layer of sediment that seems impossible
to remove. We are trying a different make of bacteria this year,
'Miracle Plus' from bio-claire but with water temperatures of around
16C it's bit too cold for it to be very effective yet. We have 0.3%
salt in at the moment so that's just about killed off the bacteria for
now. I will see if I can find KoiZyme for the future.

Please let us know what happens. ~ jan

I will, now that my posts are going out. Thanks for your help.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 30-05-2004, 05:08 PM

Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 15:56:49 GMT

Oxolinic acid is extremely useful by soaking food in it. It cannot be used in teh
water for more than 3 days or it goes toxic. it is absorbed across the skin of GF,
probably also koi. but in food it can be fed for long periods of time.
I am surprised to hear it isnt effective.
your vet should be able to order romet B made for catfish growers. since it is
specifically for fish it should be allowed. I feed romet B in fall right before fish
"go dormant". The antibiotic saturates their tissues giving them some protection
going into spring.
But most important is setting up the pond so it minimizes disease.
Ingrid

"Rodney Pont" wrote:
The only antibiotic
that is legal for hobbyists is oxolinic acid but it's been abused so
much that it's no longer very effective and we haven't been able to
find anyone who supplies it.

Our vet has tried to get us some nitrofurazone/nitrofural because it is
absorbed from the water but her suppliers don't carry it. She has
suggested somewhere to try but they don't do web sales so it will have
to wait until after the holiday weekend.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 30 May 2004 03:13:40 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Please let us know what happens. ~ jan

The vet rang on Friday. She has found a fish expert on the other side
of the country and has supplied an antibiotic, Baytril (enrofloxacin I
think) for the pond.

The fish have gone off their food a little, but are still eating
something, they are no longer huddled together in a corner but do
patrol the pond slowly so something is happening.

Will pp oxidise the antibiotic when we are done with it so that we can
dispose of the water safely?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 08-06-2004, 04:38 PM

Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:02:52 GMT

antibiotics are organic and get broken down. baytril is most effective injected into
the fish. altho you can make antibiotic food from it. soak the food in the
antibiotic and then coat with fish or shrimp oil of some kind. use floating food for
this. Ingrid

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 03:13:40 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Please let us know what happens. ~ jan

The vet rang on Friday. She has found a fish expert on the other side
of the country and has supplied an antibiotic, Baytril (enrofloxacin I
think) for the pond.

The fish have gone off their food a little, but are still eating
something, they are no longer huddled together in a corner but do
patrol the pond slowly so something is happening.

Will pp oxidise the antibiotic when we are done with it so that we can
dispose of the water safely?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 09-06-2004, 06:46 AM

Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:02:52 GMT

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 03:13:40 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Please let us know what happens. ~ jan

The vet rang on Friday. She has found a fish expert on the other side
of the country and has supplied an antibiotic, Baytril (enrofloxacin I
think) for the pond.

The fish have gone off their food a little, but are still eating
something, they are no longer huddled together in a corner but do
patrol the pond slowly so something is happening.

Will pp oxidise the antibiotic when we are done with it so that we can
dispose of the water safely?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

an apology and explanation whytony United Kingdom 0 22-06-2006 02:08 PM
Explanation of 'F1 hybrids' and 'coming true' required! Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 6 22-05-2003 11:08 AM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Explanation of "edge effects" David Hare-Scott Permaculture 5 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Explanation of "edge effects" David Hare-Scott Permaculture 10 24-11-2002 01:18 PM