Old 30-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Getting plants from natural ponds

Would it be safe to pull lilypads, grasses etc from wild ponds or could
that introduce diseases etc?

Old 30-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I wouldn't do it. Especially if you have Koi. Nothing worse than thinking
you saved $40 in getting the plants free from wild, but then create more
problems for yourself costing in to the hundreds and yet your fish still
die?

Getting plants from most of the folks here maybe safer because we tend to
keep our ponds disease free as much as possible!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 30-05-2004, 06:07 PM

If it is on your own property, just clean em up and pot em up. Otherwise leave the
plants alone. Ingrid

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Would it be safe to pull lilypads, grasses etc from wild ponds or could
that introduce diseases etc?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Ka30P

And never wade in to ponds to collect plants where beavers make their homes.
Giardia limbia, a pathogenic intestinal parasite, can be transmitted or

deposited with the feces of beaver
and
Another health concern, though much less common, is Blastomycosis

dermatitidis (or Gilchrist's Disease). Individuals who have had recent contact
with old beaver lodges and dams may be exposed to blastomycosis, a
pneumonia-like disease that arises from the inhalation of fungal spores into
the lungs. The spore-producing fungi reside in soils, decaying foliage, and
vegetation, but the spores they produce cannot become airborne unless the soil
or decaying material has been disturbed.

kathy :-)
Old 30-05-2004, 07:07 PM
jbjrfan

Not only that some areas it is illegal to remove plants from the wild ! hate
to pay a big fine and then still have to buy plants !

Old 30-05-2004, 08:05 PM
KenCo

Michael Shaffer wrote:
Would it be safe to pull lilypads, grasses etc from wild ponds or could
that introduce diseases etc?

no, since its illegal unless you own the pond. fines
avg.$500.00 per plant across the country. also, if
you grab a protected plant, felony and jail.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 01-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Heather

Michael:

I have a friend who owns a huge natural pond filled with four colors of lily
plus other things. Therefore legality is not an issue.

Any plants moved from her pond to mine have done really well. Some Cinnamon
fern brought from our back woods have thrived while a plant purchased at the
garden center was much smaller and died. We have had no problems with our
fish as a result. However since they are mostly feeder comets I don't have
a huge outlay in expense for my fish. Still don't want to loose them.

Heather

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
Would it be safe to pull lilypads, grasses etc from wild ponds or could
that introduce diseases etc?

Natural Swimming Pools/Ponds Chip Ponds (moderated) 40 23-04-2008 01:10 AM
Natural ponds? eric Ponds (moderated) 1 20-03-2007 03:28 PM
What's a good website for getting plants for ponds? John Ponds 4 12-06-2005 09:48 AM
Keeping a natural area, natural aggiecon Plant Science 2 13-12-2004 07:05 PM
Natural Ponds me Ponds 3 26-04-2003 02:44 PM