Old 31-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Dave Bell

Default Patching torn Butyl rubber liner?

I have a large chunk torn out of the side of my pond (dog went nuts?) that
I need to patch. The liner is 45-mil butyl rubber, and I have plenty of
material for a patch. But what's the concensus on patching cements or
tapes, and what's the best way to accomplish it? I was looking at The
Pondshop, and they have a kit they recommend for patching and seaming
liner:
http://www.pondshop.com/catalog/const.htm
Look for 03-SEAMKT, used with BCAU16 butyl caulk and single-sided tape.
It's not cheap, though, and maybe I'd be better off buying just the prep,
2-sided tape, etc., separately...

Dave
Old 31-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Mickey

I patched a 2" round through hole with the standard patching material for a
roof from a home supply store "Menards" worked fine for me.

rea.net...

Old 01-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
rea.net...
I have a large chunk torn out of the side of my pond (dog went nuts?) that
I need to patch. The liner is 45-mil butyl rubber, and I have plenty of
material for a patch. But what's the concensus on patching cements or
tapes, and what's the best way to accomplish it? I was looking at The
Pondshop, and they have a kit they recommend for patching and seaming
liner:
http://www.pondshop.com/catalog/const.htm
Look for 03-SEAMKT, used with BCAU16 butyl caulk and single-sided tape.
It's not cheap, though, and maybe I'd be better off buying just the prep,
2-sided tape, etc., separately...

When I built my stream, I overlapped liner and used that big, fat, sticky
Becket double sided tape. The box said to wait 24 hours for proper setting.
I waited like 24 minutes, and have had a leak ever since. We're currently in
the process of fixing that. Anyway, my advice. The tape and some liner will
work great, just follow the instructions. If it were me, I'd also probably
seal the edges of the liner patch to be sure no water ever got to the tape,
just in case.

BV.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pixi" wrote in message
Where do you get double sided Becket tape?

snip

I got mine at Home Depot.

BV.

Repairing butyl rubber pond liner Owdboggy Ponds 1 25-04-2011 10:52 PM
Is butyl rubber caulking fish safe? Grandpa Ponds (alternative) 1 15-05-2004 06:04 AM
patching the liner a lot bjt Ponds 14 15-03-2004 11:45 PM
patching the liner a lot bjt Ponds 1 14-03-2004 03:52 PM
Coconut Liner and/or rubber liner for window box planters Kelly Gardening 2 13-05-2003 11:08 PM