Old 10-06-2004, 02:08 AM
JGW

Default Pond C02 levels?

Does anybody have a sense of what an acceptable range for pond water
C02 levels is? I checked all the pond water chemistry web pages I
could find and couldn't find any guidelines.

Thanks.

Joan
_______________

Old 10-06-2004, 03:13 AM
RichToyBox

There is a segment on CO2 at http://www.akca.org/ search for CO2 and it will
take you to a page on water quality. It gives no numbers, but describes the
effect on pH and how to control CO2 levels.
--
RichToyBox

Old 10-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Lee B.

CO2 is not that much a problem: add extra aeration and it's done with. Or
plants will use it during the day (but make it during the night) - so air
stones or venturies or water falls or ANYthing that will increase
oxygenation is OK and will off gas the CO2. The gas you need to be worried
about is *hydrogen sulfide*: this will KILL your fish. - it's the stuff that
smells like rotten eggs when you disturb pockets of it, like when you clean
the pond. What's the save level for that? ZERO

Lee

Old 12-06-2004, 02:04 AM
JGW

Thanks. A fish person told me to check the CO2 in my pond because
some of my fish were dying, and she thought it might be a good
nonspecific indicator of some kind of toxicity.

Joan

Old 12-06-2004, 02:05 AM
JGW

Okay, thanks. We have a waterfall and a good air bubbler. Hope that
is doing the job.

I'll be on the lookout (or smell-out) for hydrogen sulfide. I know,
that's hard to miss.

Joan

Old 12-06-2004, 02:05 AM
JGW

I wouldnt worry about it. There's no way to push the Co2 level up high
enough to hurt the fish without Co2 injection. Co2 injection is used
by aquarium people for planted tanks. It would def help out the
submerged plants in koi ponds but you'd need one heck of a co2 system
and you'd want to keep water movement down to a minimum. Most people
move the water around a lot in koi ponds to get more o2 in the water
because they generally overstock fish.

Water will contain the same amount of co2 as the air. Any water
movement will bubble off any "extra" co2 that's added to a system
(just like shaking a can of pop).

Sam

Oh that's good to know. Thanks. Hmmm. So why did I buy that CO2
kit???

Joan

Any solution for : Mechanical valve, shutter, leveller for a koi pond and filter on different levels Etienne Ponds 2 30-08-2006 12:47 PM
Pond Levels Wilmdale Ponds 8 01-05-2005 12:24 AM
is 43ppm too much C02? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
how to sustain a good C02 rate with cold floor? Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 29-03-2003 11:20 AM
white slime on airstone from C02 bubbling? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 08-03-2003 02:23 PM