Old 22-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Wilmdale

Default Pond Levels

Is anyone else out there losing a lot of water to evaporation?
I have lost about 6-7 inches since Sunday. We've had no rain and it is
dry here in Colorado Springs, but 6-7 inches?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib
Old 22-04-2005, 03:25 AM
Elaine T

Wilmdale wrote:
Is anyone else out there losing a lot of water to evaporation?
I have lost about 6-7 inches since Sunday. We've had no rain and it is
dry here in Colorado Springs, but 6-7 inches?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

While the Santa Anas were blowing earlier this month, I was topping off
my little 3 whiskey barrel pond with 5 gallons every couple of days!
Things are a bit more reasonable now. I just topped off with about 3
gallons loss since Sunday.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 22-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Steve J. Noll

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:34:39 -0600, Wilmdale
wrote:

Is anyone else out there losing a lot of water to evaporation?
I have lost about 6-7 inches since Sunday. We've had no rain and it is
dry here in Colorado Springs, but 6-7 inches?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Yes - I just topped my pond off today (Thursday) when I expected it
wouldn't normally need it for two or three more days. It hasn't been
hot, maybe a bit breezy. Humidity a little low, 54% right now. I
would have expected the couple inches of water loss experienced this
week to happen later in summer here in So Cal.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (USDA Zone 10)
Old 22-04-2005, 12:37 PM
~Roy~

I had been having to top off the wifes double half barrel feature
every couple of days, and somedays it would take 2 gal or more, which
is a ot of water when on average they only hold approx 20 gal
max.....Turned out it was not evaporation it was my German
Shepherd......who found it easier to lean into the barrel for a drink
than bend down to her bowl........

I have a seep on my natural p;ond and according to a few university
websites and other sites that deal with building and maintenance of
natural ponds, 1" of evaporation or water loss on most any pond in a
month is considered normal.......and if its windy the loss can be as
much 20 percent higher and still be considered normal, and then the
temp thing will also add to it......but 6 ot 7 inches in about 1 week
seems like an awfull lot of loss to me. If you have a water fall or
stream give it a good check out.......

wrote:

===Is anyone else out there losing a lot of water to evaporation?
===I have lost about 6-7 inches since Sunday. We've had no rain and it is
===dry here in Colorado Springs, but 6-7 inches?
===
===Just wondering.
===
===Thanks,
===

Old 25-04-2005, 04:16 AM
G & K Meyer

We to had to add a ton of water it really dropped the last couple days here
in Castle Rock, CO. not sure why? thought may have a leak will have to see
if it happens again. The rain/snow tonight should help.

Old 25-04-2005, 05:30 AM
Wilmdale

I topped off Wednesday, left for the weekend, got home this afternoon,
and about 4 - 5 inches had evaporated (I am HOPING it is not a leak!).
So, I topped it off again tonight. Will see how it is in the morning.
If it is a leak I should see some loss after 10 hours.

Hope all is well in CR! We got a bit of snow and rain here too!
Keep me posted on your water levels. I will ask some of the other
ponders here in the mid and southern front range if they are
experiencing the same thing.

Old 30-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Wilmdale

Ok, here are the latest. On page 8 at the bottom, the first photo is
Monday of this week and the last two (2) are were taken this morning.
I measures the water height this morning and it is 5 1/2 - 6 inches
lower this morning than last Sunday night. I do not see any obvious wet
spots around the water falls or streams. And on Monday after a very
chilly damp day, there seemed to be no noticeable water loss at at
during that 24 hours. So my question is do you think this is just
normal evaporation or do I have a slow leak some where?
My next step is to use the "milk jug test" to check for leakage.
Thanks for looking and for your suggestions.
Have a great weekend!

Old 30-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Larry

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:06:17 -0600, Wilmdale
wrote:

Ok, here are the latest. On page 8 at the bottom, the first photo is
Monday of this week and the last two (2) are were taken this morning.
I measures the water height this morning and it is 5 1/2 - 6 inches
lower this morning than last Sunday night. I do not see any obvious wet
spots around the water falls or streams. And on Monday after a very
chilly damp day, there seemed to be no noticeable water loss at at
during that 24 hours. So my question is do you think this is just
normal evaporation or do I have a slow leak some where?
My next step is to use the "milk jug test" to check for leakage.
Thanks for looking and for your suggestions.
Have a great weekend!

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Hi Dale,

This group provided me with suggestions to help me find my leak
problem. My waterfall is the size of your middle one and pond much
smaller than yours.

I was loosing 5" per day and hoped it was evaporation. No chance
everyone said. I was told to turn off my pump, fill up the pond and
see what happens. If it holds it's your waterway, if not then most
likely your pond.

It turned out to be my waterfall. Liner located under some side rocks
slipped below second tier waterline. Easy to lift and fix.

Turn off your pump and see what happens over a day.
You seem to have plenty of liner well above the waterfall waterline
so lets hope that if there is a small leak in the pond area that it is
close to the surface. ;-}

All the best,

Larry

Old 01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Wilmdale

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Larry!
I forgot about turning off the water falls. DUH! I appreciate the tip. :-)
I did get the milk jug put in and I am hoping it is all just evaporation
due to it being so dry much of the time here in Colorado Springs.
I top off my pond this afternoon (REALLY topped it off! LOL) and posted
some new pics of it being full.
I will let you know how it goes~
Have a great weekend~

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Any solution for : Mechanical valve, shutter, leveller for a koi pond and filter on different levels Etienne Ponds 2 30-08-2006 12:47 PM
Pond C02 levels? JGW Ponds 6 12-06-2004 02:05 AM
kH levels dropping, why?? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 02-03-2003 11:27 PM
Light levels Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 2 04-02-2003 08:14 AM
Article of toxic levels of arsenic and other chems... J Kolenovsky Gardening 4 27-01-2003 05:41 PM