Old 10-06-2004, 08:07 AM
kilroy bass

Default do frogs cry at night? (j)

i live in florida and it had been raining this past week.

each night, as i head to bed, i would hear these annoying loud cries.
i came out to investigate and saw frogs near my pond. tiny yellowish ones.
i think there are more, and the noise is really freaking annoying and loud.

my question is:

a) anyone with the same experience?
b) do frogs cry this loud at night?
c) and what are measures to get rid of the frogs?

i've got neighbors and, although they haven't said anything, i'm sure
they're wondering where this nightly noise is coming from.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kilroy bass" wrote in message
om...
i live in florida and it had been raining this past week.

each night, as i head to bed, i would hear these annoying loud cries.
i came out to investigate and saw frogs near my pond. tiny yellowish

ones.
i think there are more, and the noise is really freaking annoying and

loud.

my question is:

a) anyone with the same experience?
b) do frogs cry this loud at night?
c) and what are measures to get rid of the frogs?

i've got neighbors and, although they haven't said anything, i'm sure
they're wondering where this nightly noise is coming from.

The only way to get rid of frogs around your pond, is to fill the pond with
dirt instead of water. Less Algae problems that way too. Seriously, if you
have frogs showing up at the pond, you know that you have a nice healthy
body of water. You built it, nature has come.

BV.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Ka30P

Kilroy wrote
my question is:
a) anyone with the same experience?
b) do frogs cry this loud at night?
c) and what are measures to get rid of the frogs?

Yes, bullfrogs talk ALL summer long, ALL night long...
Yes, frogs are courting, the one with the most obnoxious croak and most
impressive vocal sack gets the female. Males can be very focused this way
(speaking of the mother to two teenage males).
and no, not really much you can do to get rid of frogs.

You can try moving the frog spawn out of your pond as frogs who grow up in your
pond are likely to return next year. And you can try catching the frogs
(spotlight them at night) and remove the courting couples.
Remove spawn and frogs to a nearby natural body of water.
But more frogs will come.
What works is ear plugs, running a fan at night for 'white noise' or filling in
the pond.

kathy :-)
Old 10-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Kilroy wrote
my question is:
a) anyone with the same experience?
b) do frogs cry this loud at night?
c) and what are measures to get rid of the frogs?

Yes, bullfrogs talk ALL summer long, ALL night long...

My Bull has not started yet. My greens are quieting down. It's the dern
toads that are getting out of control. There is one in my neighbor's pond,
and two in my other neighbor's yard. Non in my pond yet. Loud little
buggers.

Yes, frogs are courting, the one with the most obnoxious croak and most
impressive vocal sack gets the female. Males can be very focused this way
(speaking of the mother to two teenage males).

That's how I got my SO.
snip
BV.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Lee B.

ACK! Since the rain started, they're driving me NUTS (not that they have
that far to *drive*, ya know what I mean???) Try this site:
http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchUSA/frog...state=fl#frogs

For starters, try the Cuban Tree frogs, the Green Tree frogs, and the
Southern Toad (the ones that seen to be particularly active right now). This
site has .wav files that give the "cry" of each particular species, so you
should be able to identify your culprit. Not that it will do you any GOOD,
but at least you'll know who's making the racket G!

Lee

Old 11-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Snooze

"kilroy bass" wrote in message
om...
i live in florida and it had been raining this past week.

each night, as i head to bed, i would hear these annoying loud cries.
i came out to investigate and saw frogs near my pond. tiny yellowish

ones.
i think there are more, and the noise is really freaking annoying and

loud.

my question is:

a) anyone with the same experience?
b) do frogs cry this loud at night?
c) and what are measures to get rid of the frogs?

i've got neighbors and, although they haven't said anything, i'm sure
they're wondering where this nightly noise is coming from.

Don't worry at the rate that amphibians are going extinct or dying off,
there won't be any frogs left in north america in the near future. Serves
those slimy critters right for not being cute and fury.

It's not like anyone believes those crazy tree huggers that increased rates
of mutated frogs is a warning sign of increased pollution levels, UV
radiation or other changes in the environment. We ponders know that frogs
are loud and annoying, and welcome their rapid extinction.

If the noise from the frogs increase, just spray pesticide concentrate
around the pond, so when the frogs come, they'll die from the pesticide. Do
your part to save this country from slimy amphibians, then you can enjoy a
quiet evening by the pond with no frogs or bugs.

Snooze

Old 11-06-2004, 02:09 AM
joe

On 6/10/04 4:45 PM, "Snooze" wrote:

[...]

Hey Snooze,

You could be on Rush's radio show!

Joe Global warming is a myth too.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:10 AM
Mike Patterson

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:32:40 -0700, joe wrote:

On 6/10/04 4:45 PM, "Snooze" wrote:

[...]

Oh, it's not a myth, it's been warming for about 13,000 years now,
since the last ice age.
http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.co...s/Ice_Age.html

There were several cycles before that in which the earth got warmer,
cooler, warmer, cooler, etc.

Of course, we -humans- are responsible -this- time around... most
especially the USA, as we are the root of all evil, Chernobyl aside.
No one else pollutes or uses resources at all.

Looong before the "recent" ice age cycles, there pretty much weren't
any polar ice caps, the average global temp was much higher than now,
the central part of the current USA was underwater, as was present-day
Florida. This lasted several tens of millions of years.

Our current accelerated warming trend has lasted a couple of hundred
years. Judging from previous cycles, it's going to get a lot hotter.

Articles like this crack me up.
http://www.nsc.org/ehc/minute/em971128.htm
Let's see, the sun is getting hotter and has been for some time. The
earth is getting hotter too. Well, the two together could obviously be
a problem. (Does anyone else catch the irony here?)

I wonder if the dinosaurs ever convinced themselves that they were the
cause of global cooling...

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 11-06-2004, 03:05 PM

actually, scientist have found a pathogen that infects the eggs and causes the
mutations seen. May have nothing to do with pollution. Ingrid

It's not like anyone believes those crazy tree huggers that increased rates
of mutated frogs is a warning sign of increased pollution levels, UV
radiation or other changes in the environment. We ponders know that frogs
are loud and annoying, and welcome their rapid extinction.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Mike,

What a bunch of left wing sensationialist horse pucky.
When the Volcano went up in the Philippines a couple
of years ago it through into the air the equivalent
pollution of all the pollution create by humans since
the industrial revolution. Mt. St. Helens polluted to
the tune of 3/4 of the amount of the Philapino volcano.

So now we have had equivalent of all the human
pollution spewed in the atmosphere since the 18th
century, virtually twice in last twenty years. And
that is just two volcanoes, there are a number of
volcanoes that are spewing pollution on a daily basis,
not as dramatic as the ones mention, but the equivalent
of about 20,000 cars a day.

The other gentleman is right that global warming is
nothing but a sham.

Now my question is how is it possible that you can even
remotely blame the U.S. for this problem.

Tom L.L.

On 6/10/04 4:45 PM, "Snooze" wrote:

e.com...

Old 12-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Mike Patterson

LOL!

Re-read my post and think about it a minute. Actually look at the
links I posted. You just reiterated my points without knowing it.

Tom my friend, you need to turn on your sarcasm detector...

BTW, we really -have- been having global warming for about 13,000
years. My point is that humans have only been producing "greenhouse
gases" for about 150 of them.

My wife says I'm somewhere to the right of Atilla the Hun. :-)
Mike

On 6/10/04 4:45 PM, "Snooze" wrote:

le.com...

Old 12-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Sorry Mike,

Sometimes I read too fast.

To the right of Atilla the Hun, I have never heard that
one before.

Tom L.L.

On 6/10/04 4:45 PM, "Snooze" wrote:

gle.com...

Old 12-06-2004, 06:04 PM
joe

Saaaaaaay, I'm a little to the right of Attila too. I sense a new political
party on the ascent.

We'll have to think of a catchy name and have our nominating convention soon
if we're to make the November ballot!

Joe

Battle Cry Pat Brennan Orchids 8 11-04-2005 05:52 PM
I wanted to cry this A.M. Lori Ponds 2 08-07-2003 01:08 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
Wal-Mart plants make me cry Judy and Dave G Gardening 9 06-05-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] pathetic off-topic cry for help Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 05-03-2003 04:27 PM