Old 14-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Smith

Default Duck weed

I'm in the UK and my pond has become covered in duck weed. Everything seems
fine in the pond but I would like to get rid of it.

Any ideas?
--
=^..^=

Old 14-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Smith" wrote in message
I'm in the UK and my pond has become covered in duck weed. Everything

seems
fine in the pond but I would like to get rid of it.

Any ideas?

snip

Koi and Goldfish love to eat Duckweed. It's like candy to them. In my pond,
I can't keep it alive. Last year, I was scooping it out of my pond by the
gallon, every day, just to keep up with it. This year, none came back, and
the batch I saved in the house, was mowed down by the Koi before it could
take ahold of the pond.

In my zone 6ish area of MD, the duckweed eventually dies back in mid summer,
drops seed and disapears.

BV.

Old 14-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Bonnie

In my zone 6ish area of MD, the duckweed eventually dies back in mid summer,
drops seed and disapears.

BV.

I always thought that duckweed wasn't hardy, but I added
no plants to the veggie filter this year and duckweed
appeared. I scoop it out regularly as a treat for the fish
- it doesn't last long with the koi.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 15-06-2004, 02:06 AM
RichToyBox

You can over fill the pond and then use the hose to wash it to the area of
overflow. A large amount can be skimmed off fairly quickly, but if you
don't get it all, and don't have the pond pigs to keep it under control, it
will be back.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-06-2004, 10:02 AM
groovy

"Smith" wrote in message
I'm in the UK and my pond has become covered in duck weed. Everything

seems
fine in the pond but I would like to get rid of it.

Any ideas?
--

Sorry to barge in on Anthonys thread but...

Assuming it's not going to go away, what will reliably eat the stuff. My
Shibunkin taste it, then reject it; I've no room for Koi, so something
small that loves duckweed would be pretty handy. Any ideas?

Old 15-06-2004, 06:04 PM

a pond skimmer will remove it. need to empty the skimmer pretty often at first.
Ingrid

"groovy" wrote:
Assuming it's not going to go away, what will reliably eat the stuff. My
Shibunkin taste it, then reject it; I've no room for Koi, so something
small that loves duckweed would be pretty handy. Any ideas?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Ka30P

Donald Duck wrote so something
small that loves duckweed would be pretty handy. Any ideas?

A small duck?
I think you are best to try and spray and net it off.
Though I think I'll go find a snail in my filter and give him a bowl of
duckweed and see what he
thinks about it. Will report back.

kathy :-)
Old 15-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Gil Vick

"Smith" wrote in message
I'm in the UK and my pond has become covered in duck weed. Everything

seems
fine in the pond but I would like to get rid of it.

Any ideas?

These and associated links should tell you all that anyone might ever want
to know about Duckweed!
....Gil

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...s/duckweed.htm

http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm

Old 16-06-2004, 12:06 AM
RickK

Comets (goldfish) and golden orfes eat sizeable quantities of duckweed
everyday and I need to keep a starter spawn in a seperate container.

Are you sure it isn't fairy moss ? Neither koi nor my comets will eat that
stuff. They take a taste and spit it out. I get rid of it by netting or
waiting till winter kills it off.

Old 16-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Mouse

I think the only thing you can do is net as much of it as you can. I have a
smell amount around the tops of my plant pots, and there was some next to
the pots that seems to have vanished. None of my fish seem to be interested
in it, (comet goldfish ,ghost carp and orf) but I suspect something is
eating it.
Mouse
UK ( Yorkshire )

"Smith" wrote in message
I'm in the UK and my pond has become covered in duck weed. Everything

seems
fine in the pond but I would like to get rid of it.

Any ideas?
--
=^..^=

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
Duck, duck, goose! Monique Reed Edible Gardening 1 23-10-2003 02:22 AM
My Duck Weed Farm BenignVanilla Ponds 1 03-07-2003 04:08 AM
Duck weed. Anna Vaca Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Duck Weed Paul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:08 AM