Old 18-06-2004, 05:23 AM
JGW

Default Aphids again!!

Hi. I know the subject of aphids has come up on this list a number of
times before. I just did a search of the archives to see what folks
suggest and the suggestions have been:
1. squish em (YUK!)
2. Hose em off
3. Insectacidal soap
4. Herbal repellant
5. some special kind of diatomacious earth

Here are my questions:
1. When you use insectacidal soap, do you have to take the plants out
of the pond first, spray em, let em dry, and hose off the soap? Is it
safe for the fish if it gets into the pond water?

2. Does anybody know if the herbal sprays (strong-smelling stuff like
mint, thyme, etc.) are safe to use directly in the pond? Like if it
gets into the pond water, is it okay for the fish?

Thanks.

Joan
Old 18-06-2004, 05:28 AM
Gareee©

Amazon sells boxes of ladybugs.. it's the natural way to eliminate aphids,
if I recall correctly.

Old 18-06-2004, 05:28 AM
Bob H

I have had good luck with both the herbal & the D/E, I prefer the D/E cause
the herbal stuff is expen$ive.

Old 18-06-2004, 02:02 PM
RainLover

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:53:01 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Amazon sells boxes of ladybugs.. it's the natural way to eliminate aphids,
if I recall correctly.

I suggest NOT buying ladybugs through mail order. They have a homeing
tendency and will all leave your garden within days of releasing them unless
they were born locally.

(Okay, and NOW is where everyone who hasn't had this happen will chime in at
tell their stories) :-)

James, Seattle

.. .

Old 18-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Amazon sells boxes of ladybugs.. it's the natural way to eliminate aphids,
if I recall correctly.

snip

Yep, 1500 count...

http://tinyurl.com/2rmum

BV.

Old 18-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote:

Amazon sells boxes of ladybugs.. it's the natural way to eliminate

aphids,
if I recall correctly.

I suggest NOT buying ladybugs through mail order. They have a homeing
tendency and will all leave your garden within days of releasing them

unless
they were born locally.

(Okay, and NOW is where everyone who hasn't had this happen will chime in

at
tell their stories) :-)

snip

I can chime in that my Birch tree (clump birch, I think) attracts LB's like
crazy. We have 100's on that tree.

BV.

Old 18-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Ka30P

Okay, Amazon is just strange.
Did you see their companion products...?
You might be interested in
Owl Puke
and
The Little Book of Farting

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Gareee©

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Okay, Amazon is just strange.
Did you see their companion products...?

and
The Little Book of Farting

As opposed to the BIG book of Farting??

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 18-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Susan H. Simko

RainLover wrote:

I suggest NOT buying ladybugs through mail order. They have a homeing
tendency and will all leave your garden within days of releasing them unless
they were born locally.

(Okay, and NOW is where everyone who hasn't had this happen will chime in at
tell their stories) :-)

So tempting James.... *grin* Actaully, everything I have learned from
some quite reputable sources back up your statement. This is why I
never went that route.

OTOH *grin* I put up a ladybug/ladybird (if your across the "pond") box
in my garden which I "seeded" with some kind of liquid pheromone (I
think) attractant and powdered food. (Both of these came with the box I
ordered.) The ladybugs, came, nested and now happily live amongst my
rose bushes munching aphids. (google ladybug house - I bought my from
http://BestNest.com )

Susan
Old 18-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Gareee©

I never really looked into where they ordered them from, or if they used
anything to retain them, but Disney's Animal Kingdom get boxes and boxes of
ladybugs. They always try to use natural solutions to problems at Animal
Kingdom, when possible, and the horticulturists there swear by thier use.

I was on it's opening crew, and worked there for a number of years
afterwards.

Old 19-06-2004, 01:08 AM
JGW

How do you apply the DE? Is it safe for fish?

Is it safe for the fish if the herbal stuff gets in the water?

Joan

Old 19-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Bob H

The stuff I bought was a white powder from my pond supply place (no not
THAT white powder) I don't recall the brand name, you mix it with water and
use a spray bottle to apply (I used one of the bottles left over from the
$13 herbal spray)...looks a little ugly for a couple of days then washes
off....it kills the aphids (I understand) by cutting them to shreds as they
crawl across the leaves because the d/e is an abrasive but too small to hurt
the fish...

Old 19-06-2004, 08:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Read the Label regarding sprays. It will say if it is safe to use around
fish. IME, the most permanent thing is squish them on the pad/plant they're
on. This gets rid of them and the eggs they've laid and you don't spread
them to other plants. Also, IME, squishing seems to clear up the problem
within a few times of doing this.

Very important, remove leaves as they start to yellow, aphids are attracted
to that color and to weaken plants, like a dying pad. ~ jan

Old 20-06-2004, 04:05 PM

I would not use anything that doesnt specifically say it is safe for fish.
I got little black dots all over the leaves of my lilies, I been spraying them off
2X per day and the fish eat them. seems to be working. there are a lot fewer of
them and they only climb aboard the outer ring of leaves. Ingrid

JGW wrote:

Hi. I know the subject of aphids has come up on this list a number of
times before. I just did a search of the archives to see what folks
suggest and the suggestions have been:
1. squish em (YUK!)
2. Hose em off

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List