Old 20-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default String algae experiment and a question

Jim and I have been trying an experiment here.

This year we let the string algae have our anacharis veggie filter at the
start of the year. (The koi keep the main pond clear of it.)

Rationale:
-Anacharis can make it under the algae and the algae take up nutrients.
-The algae will be at the top of the veggie filter only.
-The algae will fade when other things grow...maybe.

Consequences:
-The anacharis is not doing as well as usual, but is ok.
-The frogbit in the pond was destroyed by the algae. Why? Don't know.
-The blanket got very thick!

Present development:
-The string algae is now rotten and going away.
-The other plants are mushrooming. We have tossed 50 sq ft of 18-24" wh
and cut a bushel or so of other plants weekly.

Observation:
-We were away for a couple of weeks. Jim stipped putting phosphorus in
the pond. Leaves began to yellow on a variety of plants.
-Upon return, he began again and the plants greened up right away.
-Phosphours really works.

Question:
-Why does the string algae in the anacharis pond fail when the string
algae in the waterfall and stream beds thrives?
-Is the shallow pond the issue rather than the competition?

Any ideas?

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 22-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Lee B.

String algae prefers fast, moving water. That's why it does better in
streams and waterfalls. However, your veggie filter is probably "slow", not
enough movement to satisfy the whims of SA. The only place in the pond that
I have SA is near the entrance to the skimmer - where the water is fast. The
rest of the pond does not have it (except in the streams and waterfall!).

I just ordered the newest, latest/greatest threat to SA. It wasn't in stock,
and has to be sent from the manufacturer. According to the website, it will
make a significant difference in 24 hours, nearly gone in 48, and completely
gone in a week. I'll believe it when I see it, but it's worth a try. . .
I've purchased all the OTHER methods to get rid of it s, so MAYBE this is
the one that works????

Lee

Old 22-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Ka30P

Lee wrote I just ordered the newest, latest/greatest threat to SA.

What is it? And we'll await a report!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 23-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Lee B.

Kathy:
The specs and MSDA are he
http://www.biosafesystems.com/labels/GC-SpecMSDS.pdf

And photos showing how it works are he
http://www.biosafesystems.com/stringalgae.html

This stuff works via oxygenation versus the copper that's normally used.
Therefore, it's safe for fish, snails (darn it!) amphibians, etc. You're not
supposed to sprinkle the granules on leaves of plants you want, but once
they're dissolved in water, they're supposed to be safe for water plants.
What I DON'T know is whether or not it will affect the short stuff on the
sides of the liner . . . I guess I'll find out, huh?

Lee

Old 23-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Ka30P

Thanks Lee,
I've saved the information to my desktop so let us know if you get good
results.
Also would be interested if you notice the dead stuff showing up in your
mechanical filter.
Hope it works!

kathy :-)
algae primer