Old 22-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Odd Discovery

Hi Group. 'Lynne' posted to our local 'bulletin board'. There hasnt been a
response. I thought I would post it here, just in case someone had a
notion.
"Maybe one of you out there can help me a bit. I recently was widowed and
I has at my husband's grave putting down some soil for seed. The following
day there was a hole near the edge and I laughed because my husband always
was bothered with ground squirrels so I thought one had come to live by him.
The next day I went by and I saw something move..there was a frog or most
likely a toad about the size of the palm of my hand backed into this hole.
Last night I went by and there is an oddly shaped, almost peanut shaped,
white blob in the whole, just one and really the size of a peanut. Would you
know if this is some sort of egg...It is not a styrofoam peanut blown into
the hole...there wasn't a critter in the hole so I got a good look at this
blob. Thanks "

Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 22-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Funny you should post this. Yesterday we saw what looked like a small white
robin's egg on the bottom of the pond. Today it is gone. We've had toad
action for a few nights now as well.

BV.

Old 22-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Ka30P

Toads will spend most of the day under ground or under a rock or log to keep
cool and come out at night to hunt.
But it would not lay an egg or a blob in the hole... hmmm.
Now, I have yet to observe toad poop. Turtle poop is huge compared to the
turtle involved and encased in slime (hope no one is reading this before
breakfast...)
My situation, when faced with something like this, and my mother, husband and
children can attest to this sorry habit, is to bring it home, put it in a net
covered jar and wait to see what happens! I learned to cover the jar the hard
way... baby froglets hopping down the hallway at 5am and snake fish slithering
for the laundry room...

[...]

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 22-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
snip
snake fish slithering for the laundry room
snip

I am from MD. Do tell.

BV.

Old 22-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote snake fish slithering for the laundry room snip I am from MD. Do
tell.

To clarify, this is something I didn't bring in from outdoors, like the frog
spawn, but it is an illustration of the current problem being that we bought it
at a pet store. We put it in a tank and it escaped to give me yet another
adventure in laundry (the first being the suspected young rattler - I'm good at
the laundry toss and dash, a future Olympic event.)
The good thing was that we didn't put it in the pond. Don't know how far it
could have gotten on a rainy night but we're close to a creek that empties into
the Columbia River and at the time I had no idea the things could travel until
it made a break for the laundry room.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 22-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

What did you end up doing with it?

BV.

Old 22-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote What did you end up doing with it?

Alas, the break for the laundry room ended in
tragedy. It did not live much past capture.

kathy :-)
algae primer