Old 27-06-2004, 12:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Iris Repotted

Iris Repotted or This Thread Revisited

A couple of years ago we had a discussion about iris, rock versus soil to
plant them in. I know we highly recommend rock especially in a veggie
filter. So today I repotted my experiments. 1 was in rock, BIG rock, 3 were
in soil. Hate to tell you this guys, but the 3 in soil were much easier to
divide. The roots were so fibrous in the rock one that I had to do a lot of
clipping of the roots, whereas soil ones I could get the roots to slip out
of the mud. So I'm repotting all back into soil.... if this was for a
veggie filter, I'd put up with the rock (I think). I'll let you know after
I do some that I've been using, as if for a veggie filter.

Has anyone else repotted their experiments? ~ jan
Old 27-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Bonnie

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Iris Repotted or This Thread Revisited

A couple of years ago we had a discussion about iris, rock versus soil to
plant them in. I know we highly recommend rock especially in a veggie
filter. So today I repotted my experiments. 1 was in rock, BIG rock, 3 were
in soil. Hate to tell you this guys, but the 3 in soil were much easier to
divide. The roots were so fibrous in the rock one that I had to do a lot of
clipping of the roots, whereas soil ones I could get the roots to slip out
of the mud. So I'm repotting all back into soil.... if this was for a
veggie filter, I'd put up with the rock (I think). I'll let you know after
I do some that I've been using, as if for a veggie filter.

Has anyone else repotted their experiments? ~ jan

When I put mine in the bog I didn't use a pot. The bog is
filled with gravel and I'm letting the iris run rampant.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 27-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Charles

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:21:02 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

Iris Repotted or This Thread Revisited

A couple of years ago we had a discussion about iris, rock versus soil to
plant them in. I know we highly recommend rock especially in a veggie
filter. So today I repotted my experiments. 1 was in rock, BIG rock, 3 were
in soil. Hate to tell you this guys, but the 3 in soil were much easier to
divide. The roots were so fibrous in the rock one that I had to do a lot of
clipping of the roots, whereas soil ones I could get the roots to slip out
of the mud. So I'm repotting all back into soil.... if this was for a
veggie filter, I'd put up with the rock (I think). I'll let you know after
I do some that I've been using, as if for a veggie filter.

Has anyone else repotted their experiments? ~ jan

something really fun, lava rock and floor scouring pad with iris.

Made one solid, strong, heavy mass, it was a lot of work to just get
it out of the filter.

I don't use lava rock any more, not floor scrubbing pads.
--

- Charles
-
Old 27-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Go Fig

In article m, ~ jan
JJsPond.us wrote:

Iris Repotted or This Thread Revisited

A couple of years ago we had a discussion about iris, rock versus soil to
plant them in. I know we highly recommend rock especially in a veggie
filter. So today I repotted my experiments. 1 was in rock, BIG rock, 3 were
in soil. Hate to tell you this guys, but the 3 in soil were much easier to
divide. The roots were so fibrous in the rock one that I had to do a lot of
clipping of the roots, whereas soil ones I could get the roots to slip out
of the mud. So I'm repotting all back into soil.... if this was for a
veggie filter, I'd put up with the rock (I think). I'll let you know after
I do some that I've been using, as if for a veggie filter.

Thanx for relating the info, but I usually take a back-saw to mine with
little or no impact on their future. Now if soil could get them to
flower from spring to fall... that would be really something ;-)

jay
Sat Jun 26, 2004

Has anyone else repotted their experiments? ~ jan

Old 28-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
Iris Repotted or This Thread Revisited

A couple of years ago we had a discussion about iris, rock versus soil to
plant them in. I know we highly recommend rock especially in a veggie
filter. So today I repotted my experiments. 1 was in rock, BIG rock, 3

were
in soil. Hate to tell you this guys, but the 3 in soil were much easier to
divide. The roots were so fibrous in the rock one that I had to do a lot

of
clipping of the roots, whereas soil ones I could get the roots to slip out
of the mud. So I'm repotting all back into soil.... if this was for a
veggie filter, I'd put up with the rock (I think). I'll let you know after
I do some that I've been using, as if for a veggie filter.

Has anyone else repotted their experiments? ~ jan

Mine are all plants in holey baskets filled with pebbles and small river
rock. I use them in my VF becasue they get going early, and they add a nice
vertical element to offset the lower plants like the celery and the WH. This
year, mine are about 3.5 feet tall and dieing to be split again. I expect
next year, I'll have more then I can handle.

BV.

Old 29-06-2004, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

My shelf is 12-14 inches down.

Update: The next day I also divided some in black mesh baskets with big
rocks, that is the way to do it soilless. I removed the big rocks, trimmed
the roots off the outside of the basket and pulled them right out. The
prior experiment I mentioned (below Mickey's question) was using a basket
with big holes & rocks... the mini laundry basket style. So therein, the
rest of the story. ) ~ jan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:39:47 -0500, "Mickey" wrote:

How deep do you plant your iris?

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Iris Repotted or This Thread Revisited

A couple of years ago we had a discussion about iris, rock versus soil to
plant them in. I know we highly recommend rock especially in a veggie
filter. So today I repotted my experiments. 1 was in rock, BIG rock, 3
were
in soil. Hate to tell you this guys, but the 3 in soil were much easier to
divide. The roots were so fibrous in the rock one that I had to do a lot
of
clipping of the roots, whereas soil ones I could get the roots to slip out
of the mud. So I'm repotting all back into soil.... if this was for a
veggie filter, I'd put up with the rock (I think). I'll let you know after
I do some that I've been using, as if for a veggie filter.

Has anyone else repotted their experiments? ~ jan

Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 10:24 PM
to shorten or not repotted bamboo plant? johngood_____ United Kingdom 1 11-09-2007 09:57 AM
Lotus Repotted Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 08-04-2004 09:34 PM
Repotted grapefruit tree dkra Gardening 0 21-10-2003 09:02 AM
tall iris?/MY IRIS jammer Gardening 0 17-04-2003 02:44 AM