Old 08-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Lotus Repotted

OK, you know me...I can't sit and not mess with the pond. Last night it was
nice and warm out. I put on some shorts, and an old T-shirt and went digging
for my lotus. The tubors were in 4 inches of mud that I planted, as well as
a nice layer of elephant scented mulm.

These lotus were planted in a rectangular 30 gallon rubbermaid last year.
The root mass had filled the bottom of the container, and all of the roots
grew in 90 angles around the container. It was quite a sight.

Last year I had planted 2 tubors with 2 growing tips each. This year I now
have 5 tubors. I had 6 but it looked sickly, so I chucked it. One tubor has
been placed in a 14-16 inch round pot, with about 4inches of muck in it. I
also used a small piece of slate to cover the area directly above the tubor.
The other 4 smaller tubors were placed in a 4 foot long plastic window box,
also under 4 or so inches of muck.

The round countainer is not at the bottom of the pond in about 4 feet of
water. The window box is in about 4 inches of water, but that area is tilted
a bit, so I may either 1) jack up one side with rocks and leave it there, or
2) sink it to one of my shelves about 3 feet down.

In this process I stirred up plenty of muck, so the water is no opaque. I am
hoping for some more clearing this week. I'll let ya'll know how the lotus
do.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Ka30P

I brought home some lotus tubers
from jj. One with nice growing tips.
I put them in the tub in which I grew
a lotus from seed. That lotus made it through
two summers and then we had a nasty
freeze in October and that was that.
I have high hopes for this one.
I will pay close attention to the weather
next fall and will have black plastic and bubble
wrap on hand to tuck it in when needed.

Also my eldest son saw something jump into
the frog bog this morning. Didn't catch exactly
what it was but hoping it is one of last year's tree frog babies and not the
lady bullfrog who
showed up last fall - she will have to be caught and moved if she is the
hopper.

jj, another ponding friend and I have all ordered
tropicals, probably to arrive in May.
Mine is going in another deck tub, a small container variety. My first
tropical and I'm excited!! I think it is going to be purple (don't even know
the name which is par for my flower id-ing abilities!)

kathy :-)

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
to shorten or not repotted bamboo plant? johngood_____ United Kingdom 1 11-09-2007 09:57 AM
Iris Repotted ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 6 29-06-2004 08:03 AM
Repotted grapefruit tree dkra Gardening 0 21-10-2003 09:02 AM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM