Old 29-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Bob

Default Pond Lights?

Anyone have any ideas for some homemade submersible pond lights? I remember
someone posting about using automotive headlamps, but they are a real draw
on the power transformer as they run about 55 watts if I recall correctly.
Any ideas?

Bob

Old 30-06-2004, 07:05 PM
stricks760

There were some posts here last fall about using 12 Volt LED's (from, Newark
Electronics). I tried it -- made a few lights -- they run off 12 VDC, draw
only a few Watts - and are very bright when grouped together in 4's.

You need to wire them together and pot them in waterproof epoxy.

You can get the LED's in white, yellow, green, blue, red. Blue, green and
white look the best to me. I still need to identify a good potting epoxy
though, the stuff I used for the prototype wasn't too user friendly.

. net...

Old 30-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Heather

What about a silicone? The dive industry uses a silicone in dive computers.
It is poured in and remains soft, but the top dries to a hard skin. It is
very clear so the components can still be seen through 1/4 " or so of the
stuff. I have no idea where you would get it tho, I will ask around.

Heather

"stricks760" wrote in message
.net...
There were some posts here last fall about using 12 Volt LED's (from,

Newark
Electronics). I tried it -- made a few lights -- they run off 12 VDC,

draw
only a few Watts - and are very bright when grouped together in 4's.

You need to wire them together and pot them in waterproof epoxy.

You can get the LED's in white, yellow, green, blue, red. Blue, green and
white look the best to me. I still need to identify a good potting epoxy
though, the stuff I used for the prototype wasn't too user friendly.

. net...

Old 30-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Mark Bannister

If that would work then silicone caulk would work as well. Getting all
the air out would be difficult.
Mark B.

Heather wrote:

[...]

v.net...

Old 30-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Gareee©

"Mark Bannister" wrote in message
If that would work then silicone caulk would work as well. Getting all
the air out would be difficult.
Mark B.

I'd just use a bottle cap or something similar. Add some lead fishing weight
to the bototm of the cap, add the silicon caulk, and then add the lights..
that would work quite well.

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 01-07-2004, 03:06 AM
GARAGE OWL

Hello, you could try harborfreight.com they have a 20 watt submersible 5
color light for $10.00. I am thinking about buying one for my pond and
trying it

Old 01-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Gareee©

Just got two of them because they shipped a cancelled order.

Using just the clear lens, it looks like it'd be bright enough for a pond,
but they are rather small. (The lights are the small reflector ones you see
in halloween decorations)

Adding the green or blue lens cuts the light output about 50%, probably too
dim for a decent sized pond.

BTW I got two shipped to me for $14.95 including postage from them.

We decided to use one in an indoor fountain that's 3 ft tall, with a mister,
and the light output is great for that application.