Old 02-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Goldlexus

Default Fishy behavior?

We have one large 'resident' goldfish in our pond. We added 3 small koi,
3 small shumbkins (sp?) yesterday. All fish were swimming happliy all
day! Today, we can only see the resident goldfish! We do have rock all
along the sides where fish go, at this point I am assuming all the new
fish are hiding in the rocks, I hope. Is this normal? To play and swim
one day, go in hiding the next? If they are hiding how long will they hide?
Thanks!!

Old 02-07-2004, 09:04 PM

did you quarantine the new fish for at least a month before adding the new fish?
Ingrid

Goldlexus wrote:

We have one large 'resident' goldfish in our pond. We added 3 small koi,
3 small shumbkins (sp?) yesterday. All fish were swimming happliy all
day! Today, we can only see the resident goldfish! We do have rock all
along the sides where fish go, at this point I am assuming all the new
fish are hiding in the rocks, I hope. Is this normal? To play and swim
one day, go in hiding the next? If they are hiding how long will they hide?
Thanks!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:04 AM
RichToyBox

If they feel threatened by the existing fish, they could go into hiding for
quite a while. I have had babies stay in hiding for nearly a year. If they
went into hiding because of a predator, their memory is not that long, so
they will be back out within a week or so.
--
RichToyBox

Old 03-07-2004, 04:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

And if you did or didn't quarantine, was the pond's pH & temperature
similar to the water where they had been? If not, they're possibly
suffering from transport and transplant shock. Most come out of it, if
they're healthy, but it's nice to have started them in a Q-tank and
adjusted them slowly to your water parameters while you're checking their
health out. It's also a good idea to only add no more than 2 fish at a
time, so you don't overwhelm the filter. And yes, it is normal for them to
swim around normally those first few hours, and then become affected by the
conditions.

As is, for the next 2 weeks don't feed any more food than you were to the
lone fish, if water parameters start to register off, don't feed. Have
Amquel, or similar type product, that treats Ammonia available, and salt to
treat the nitrite. Do not do a water change without knowing your fresh
water's pH or ammonia level. Changing out water and adding in water with a
higher pH with ammonia showing in the pond can make the ammonia more toxic.
Treat the ammonia, than a water change is safe. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Goldlexus wrote:

We have one large 'resident' goldfish in our pond. We added 3 small koi,
3 small shumbkins (sp?) yesterday. All fish were swimming happliy all
day! Today, we can only see the resident goldfish! We do have rock all
along the sides where fish go, at this point I am assuming all the new
fish are hiding in the rocks, I hope. Is this normal? To play and swim
one day, go in hiding the next? If they are hiding how long will they hide?
Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 02:35:57 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

And if you did or didn't quarantine, was the pond's pH & temperature
similar to the water where they had been? If not, they're possibly
suffering from transport and transplant shock. Most come out of it, if
they're healthy, but it's nice to have started them in a Q-tank and
adjusted them slowly to your water parameters while you're checking their
health out. It's also a good idea to only add no more than 2 fish at a
time, so you don't overwhelm the filter. And yes, it is normal for them to
swim around normally those first few hours, and then become affected by the
conditions.

OK, I have a question here....

Let's say I ordered 3 Orfes mailorder (I did), and let's say I want to
quarantine them for a while when they arrive (I do).

How can I "adjusted them slowly to (my) water parameters" when they
arrive here in a plastic bag of water?

Seems to me that if I fill a container with pond water, they are still
getting shocked as soon as they go in, whether it's a small "Q" tank
or the pond itself? Same water, isn't it?

OTOH, the water they arrive in is too little to keep them in for any
length of time, so you have to put them in -something- that isn't the
same as what they are used to, so....

What am I missing here?

snip

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 PM

ask the seller what the pH and alkalinity of their water is. fill up your net
covered rubbermaid water trough with water and adjust the pH and alkalinity to the
same thing. when the fish arrives open the bag and immediately move them into the
tank of water. do not open the bag and attempt to "mix" the water, that is likely to
damage or kill the fish. yes, I know all the "books" say to do this but they are
wrong. fish that are in the bag for more than 1/2 hour must not be left in that
water with the bag opened. Ingrid

OK, I have a question here....

Let's say I ordered 3 Orfes mailorder (I did), and let's say I want to
quarantine them for a while when they arrive (I do).

How can I "adjusted them slowly to (my) water parameters" when they
arrive here in a plastic bag of water?

Seems to me that if I fill a container with pond water, they are still
getting shocked as soon as they go in, whether it's a small "Q" tank
or the pond itself? Same water, isn't it?

OTOH, the water they arrive in is too little to keep them in for any
length of time, so you have to put them in -something- that isn't the
same as what they are used to, so....

What am I missing here?

snip

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 AM
RichToyBox

I don't worry too much about the pH, since the bag of water they will come
in has had the pH go down do to CO2 making carbonic acid, which is good,
since it makes the ammonia less toxic. The main thing with a Q-Tank is that
the fish become accustomed to your water in an environment with as little
stress as possible ( no big fish pushing them around) and where you can keep
an eye on them for strange behaviors. It is much easier and cheaper to
treat 150 or 250 gallons than the entire pond. If you don't have a filter
on the Q-Tank, then keep a close eye on ammonia and do appropriate water
changes to keep the levels down. Add Amquel or similar to bind the ammonia.
--
RichToyBox