Old 06-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Ka30P

Default Seattle water feature

Back from Seattle trip and you people have been busy!

But had to tell you about an interesting water feature I saw there.

I was on the fifth floor of a building there. Looking down at the landscaping
there was this 'pond'.

It was an art feature. The whole building and grounds is full of art as they
are
part of the University of Washington complex.

This 'pond' was a series of curved depressions in the ground. Each depression
was about two inches deep and made of concrete. Each depression was filled
with water (you can do that in rainy, cool Seattle). In between the depressions
were curved areas of grass so you could walk among the little ponds. Together
they
looked like a big pond. From the fifth floor, and all the floors that looked
over
it, you could see the sky reflected and the wind play over the water's surface.

After four days of looking down at it, and going stir crazy, I decided to go
and
look at it up close and personal like. It took a while but I found my way to
the
area that exited to the spot and went up and investigated. The concrete had
been ridged so if anybody decided to run around in it they would not fall.
Each depression was about two inches deep.
There were some baby pine cones and birdy feathers in them but it was
surprisingly
clean. The curved depressions were sided with curved pieces of metal.
Didn't look all that hard to reproduce.

Then I discovered I was locked out of the building... you can leave but you
can't
get back in from this location. Took some hiking but I found a way back in and
didn't have to resort
to hollering at the building to get the d*mn doors open.

Also. U of W is on Lake Washington and hardy white water lilies, which are not
native
to the state, have really taken over the edges around the campus, much more
that I
remember from before. Very pretty but looked like it was getting pretty crowded
in the boat basins and canals that leave from the U district into Lake
Washington proper.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Bonnie

Ka30P wrote:

Then I discovered I was locked out of the building... you can leave but you
can't
get back in from this location. Took some hiking but I found a way back in and
didn't have to resort
to hollering at the building to get the d*mn doors open.

Hi Kathy,
It doesn't surprise me that this would happen to you ;-).
We should have warned the U of W that K30A was returning and
signs were necessary when curiosity is arriving!
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Ka30P

Yup, wish I had time to play around the big pond, Lake Washington.

Went out to check the ponds.
Frog bog almost without water.
very hot here and didn't think to
add it to the chores
and
pump stopped in the big pond.
drat!
Will have to do some investigating but
don't have time yet, just home between running
kids around.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 04:32 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM
water feature manil United Kingdom 5 26-01-2003 11:37 AM