Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Tom D

Default West Nile Virus

Any problems with the mosquito population in your pond? California has been
tested positive for the virus, do goldfish eat the larva, or do I need
something else.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2004, 10:03 PM
KenCo

Tom D wrote:

Any problems with the mosquito population in your pond? California has been
tested positive for the virus, do goldfish eat the larva, or do I need
something else.

Thanks

all fish eat the larva, bugs are usually reduced in the area
when a pond is avail. w/ fish in them.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 06-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Ka30P

Since we've had the pond we've hardly ever seen a mosquito.
The other thing a pond attracts is dragon and damselflies to lay their eggs.
They are also mosquito eating machines. One insect will eat them in the
thousands.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 07-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Mike Patterson

On 06 Jul 2004 20:59:52 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

Since we've had the pond we've hardly ever seen a mosquito.
The other thing a pond attracts is dragon and damselflies to lay their eggs.
They are also mosquito eating machines. One insect will eat them in the
thousands.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Ya know, I have 17 medium fish and dozens of baby fish plus I counted
6 dragonflies buzzing around yesterday, but I'm still getting bitten.

Maybe I need to make a sacrifice to the Pond Gods.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
George

"Tom D" wrote in message
om...
Any problems with the mosquito population in your pond? California has been
tested positive for the virus, do goldfish eat the larva, or do I need
something else.

Thanks

Red mosquito minnows will do the trick.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
George

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
On 06 Jul 2004 20:59:52 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

Since we've had the pond we've hardly ever seen a mosquito.
The other thing a pond attracts is dragon and damselflies to lay their eggs.
They are also mosquito eating machines. One insect will eat them in the
thousands.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Ya know, I have 17 medium fish and dozens of baby fish plus I counted
6 dragonflies buzzing around yesterday, but I'm still getting bitten.

Maybe I need to make a sacrifice to the Pond Gods.

I suspect that your pond is not the source of the mosquitos.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
chagoi

Mike Patterson wrote:

Ya know, I have 17 medium fish and dozens of baby fish plus I counted
6 dragonflies buzzing around yesterday, but I'm still getting bitten.

Maybe I need to make a sacrifice to the Pond Gods.

Mike Patterson

Hey Mike

Gotta get the "Propane Funeral Pyre" working for the Mosquito Sacrifices.

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com
Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM

skeeters fly up to 5 miles, but better is check around the house for anything holding
water like tires, cans, etc. amazing what we leave sitting around holds water and
then mosquitoes. Ingrid

Ya know, I have 17 medium fish and dozens of baby fish plus I counted
6 dragonflies buzzing around yesterday, but I'm still getting bitten.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Mike Patterson

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:58:53 -0400, chagoi
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:

Ya know, I have 17 medium fish and dozens of baby fish plus I counted
6 dragonflies buzzing around yesterday, but I'm still getting bitten.

Maybe I need to make a sacrifice to the Pond Gods.

Mike Patterson

Hey Mike

Gotta get the "Propane Funeral Pyre" working for the Mosquito Sacrifices.

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

Yah, I need to get back on that project. I'm thinking of a month-long
experiment using shiners in a 20-gallon plastic tub to check for
cumulative toxicity issues before I do the full-blown fire in the
pond.

If it comes down to it, I can float a burner orifrice on the surface
instead of bubbling gas through the water.

Either way, it's -gonna- happen eventually. Hey, took me 4 years to
get the pond completed, but it happened.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Mike Patterson

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:20:13 -0400, " George"
wrote:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
.. .
On 06 Jul 2004 20:59:52 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

Since we've had the pond we've hardly ever seen a mosquito.
The other thing a pond attracts is dragon and damselflies to lay their eggs.
They are also mosquito eating machines. One insect will eat them in the
thousands.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Ya know, I have 17 medium fish and dozens of baby fish plus I counted
6 dragonflies buzzing around yesterday, but I'm still getting bitten.

Maybe I need to make a sacrifice to the Pond Gods.

I suspect that your pond is not the source of the mosquitos.

Yeah, I think you're right.

I have a one-acre lot surrounded by hundreds of other one-to-five-acre
lots. Somebody somewhere around here is breeding skeeters...

Old 07-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Mike Patterson

Yep, did a search-n-destroy mission a couple days ago, but the only
standing water I found was full of tadpoles!

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:57:24 GMT, wrote:

skeeters fly up to 5 miles, but better is check around the house for anything holding
water like tires, cans, etc. amazing what we leave sitting around holds water and
then mosquitoes. Ingrid

Ya know, I have 17 medium fish and dozens of baby fish plus I counted
6 dragonflies buzzing around yesterday, but I'm still getting bitten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 07-07-2004, 11:03 PM
someone

Mike Patterson wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:20:13 -0400, " George"
wrote:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in

message
.. .
[...]

All it takes is one old rubber tire lying around in a field somewhere
and trapping a bit of rainwater and there's your source. Not to mention
rainwater-holding knot-holes in trees, you wouldn't believe what breeds
in those. I worked with a woman at Oxford University who spent her
whole career studying the things that live in watery knot-holes in
trees.

s.

Old 08-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ka30P

Someone wrote I worked with a woman at Oxford University who spent her
whole career studying the things that live in watery knot-holes in
trees.

Oh, this is kewl! I need to find one of those
trees.... probably need to move to a different climate though.

kathy :-)
algae primer